National Energy Conservation Day 2020
Energy conservation is the effort made to reduce the consumption of energy by using less of an energy service.
This can be achieved either by using energy more efficiently or by reducing the amount of service used.
Energy conservation is a part of the concept of Eco-sufficiency.
Energy conservation reduces the need for energy services and can result in increased environmental quality, national security, personal financial security and higher savings.
National Energy Conservation Day:
- This day is observed every year on December 14 in India.
- National Energy Conservation Day is organized by the Energy Efficiency Bureau (BEE), a subordinate Ministry of Power.
- It aims to showcase India’s achievements in energy efficiency and conservation.
- The Energy Conservation Act in India was implemented in 2001 by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE).
- The BEE is celebrating ‘National Energy Conservation Week’ from 9 to 14 December 2019 to raise awareness among the general public about the importance of energy efficiency and conservation.
Objective of Energy Conservation Day:
- National Energy Conservation Day is organized in India to create awareness among the public about the importance of saving and conserving energy.
- Also, it is also informed that how people can use the energy for its better use in the future.
- Apart from this, information is given to explain the true meaning of energy conservation and to minimize the wastage of energy.
- Its main objective is to reduce energy consumption and encourage people to use it efficiently.
How to conserve energy?:
- Everyone should reduce the use of AC or heater because both instruments consume a larger amount of energy every day.
- CFL bulbs or smart lighting options can reduce energy consumption.
- Water heating equipment consumes a lot of energy.
- It is advised that using less hot water can save a lot of energy.
- Water conservation also leads to better energy conservation.
- Every year about thousands of gallons of water is wasted.
How National Energy Conservation Day is celebrated?:
- In India, many energy conservation competitions are organized by the government and other organizations to make national energy conservation campaign more effective and special.
- Various painting contests are organized at school, state, regional or national level on energy conservation day.
Students participating in the competition and winning are honoured by the Ministry of Power in the National Energy Conservation Day program on December 14.