Daily GK Updates: 9th October 2020
“J Venkatramu appointed MD and CEO of India Post Payments Bank”.
- J Venkatramu has been appointed the managing director and chief executive officer of India Post Payments Bank.
- He is presently working as the chief digital officer in Equit as Small Finance Bank.
- Venkatramu has been appointed to the post for a period of 3 years.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched IPPB in 2018.
Source: Times of India
“Nilesh Shah re-elected as chairman of Association of Mutual Funds in India”.
- Nilesh Shah has been re-elected as the Chairman of Association of Mutual Funds in India (AMFI), at the recently concluded Board Meeting of AMFI.
- He was the AMFI chairman in 2019 – 2020 and now would continue to hold the office till the conclusion of the next AGM.
- Shah would also continue as the ex-officio Chairman of AMFI Financial Literacy Committee.
Source: Economic Times
“Louise Glück wins Nobel Literature Prize 2020”.
- Nobel Prize for Literature 2020 has been awarded to American poet and essayist Louise Glück.
- Glück has received a host of literary prizes over the years including the Pulitzer Prize in 1993 for her collection The Wild Iris and the National Book Award in 2014.
- “The 2020 Nobel Prize in Literature is awarded to the American poet Louise Glück for her unmistakable poetic voice that with austere beauty makes individual existence universal.”
- Glück is a professor of English at Yale University and carved her path in the literary scene in 1968 with her collection,
Source: Indian Express
“Poet Nityananda Nayak to receive Sarala Puraskar”.
- Odia poet Nityanand Nayak will be conferred the prestigious Sarala Puraskar for his poetry work ‘Setebelaku Nathiba’, published in 2017.
- The poet will be felicitated with a cash award of `5 lakh and a citation.
- This is the 41st edition of the literary award, which was instituted by Indian Metals Public Charitable Trust (IMPaCT) in 1979.
- Sarala Puraskar is recognised as the foremost literary award of the State.
Source: New Indian Express
“World Post Day 2020 being observed today”.
- World Post Day is celebrated in remembrance of the establishment of Universal Postal Union (UPU) in 1874 in Bern, Switzerland.
- It was declared as the World Post Day by the UPU Congress held in Tokyo, Japan, in 1969.
- The UPU focused on a global communications revolution, with the aim that people could write to others all over the world. This day highlights the importance of postal services.
- World Post Day aims to create awareness of the role of the postal section in our day to day lives and also its contribution to the social and economic development of the world.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Gyan Circle Ventures – Inaugurated by Union Education Minister”.
- The Union Minister for Education Ramesh Pokhriyal has inaugurated the Gyan Circle Ventures on October 8, 2020. It is a MeitY funded Technology Business Incubator (TBI) developed by the Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT), Andhra Pradesh.
- Gyan Circle Ventures has been approved by the Ministry of Information Technology (MeitY). It functions as a Technology Incubation and Development of Entrepreneurs (TIDE 2.0) incubation center.
- The Gyan Circle Ventures would also serve as a hub for innovation and startups by providing support in the form of investments, infrastructure and mentoring.
- TIDE 2.0 scheme was launched to promote the tech entrepreneurship by providing the financial and technical support to incubators who are engaged in supporting startups.
Source: GK Today
“Axis Bank, Vistara launch co-branded forex card”.
- Vistaraand Axis Bank launched a co-branded forex card that can load up to 16 currencies.
- The card has locked-in exchange rates and the card holder will accrue 3 award points on Club Vistara for every USD 5 or an equivalent value spent, the airline said in a release.
- Club Vistara (CV) is the airline’s frequent flyer program.
Source: Economic Times
“Russian military successfully tests a new hypersonic anti-ship cruise missile Tsirkon”.
- Russia announced on October 7, 2020, that it has successfully tested a new hypersonic anti-ship cruise missile named Tsirkon. The test has been hailed by President Vladimir Putin as a great event for the nation.
- The Russian Military has further informed that on the morning of October 6, 2020, the Tsirkon was fired from the Admiral Gorshkov frigate in the White Sea in the Russian Arctic. The missile had successfully hit its target.
- Valery Gerasimov explained that the Tsirkon missile had hit its target 450 kilometers away in the Barents Sea. The missile also hit a Mach 8 speed- eight times the speed of the sound.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Union minister Ram Vilas Paswan passes away”.
- Ram Vilas Paswan is the second union minister to die in the space of two months – Suresh Angadi died of coronavirus in September.
- Union minister Ram Vilas Paswan, who was ailing for quite some time, has passed away, tweeted his son Chirag Paswan on Thursday evening. The consumer affairs minister was 74.
- A stalwart of the socialist movement who later emerged as Bihar’s foremost Dalit leader with following across the country, Ram Vilas Paswan was instrumental in the implementation of the Mandal Commission report in the 1990s.
- He was elected to Lok Sabha eight times and also held the record of winning his constituency, Hajipur, with the highest margin for several years.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Union Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan Inaugurates DBT-BIRAC Clean Tech Demo Park In Delhi”.
- Union Minister for Science and Technology Dr Harsh Vardhan inaugurated the “DBT-BIRAC Clean Tech Demo Park” at Barapullah drain site near Sundial Park, Sarai Kale Khan, New Delhi in a virtual event on Thursday, October 8.
- As per reports, Clean Tech Demo Park at Barapullah drain site is an initiative taken under the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) that will focus on demonstrating innovative waste-to-value technologies.
Source: Republic World