Daily GK Updates: 8th October 2020
“Indian Air Force Day 2020.”
- Every year Indian Air Force Day is celebrated on October 8th. This year, India celebrates 88th Indian Air Force Day.
- The celebration of this day was officially started in the year 1932 to increase the awareness of the Indian air force in any organization of the national security both officially and publicly.
- Since then Indian Air Force Day is celebrated every year with great enthusiasm and fervor at various Air Stations all over the country on October 8.
- Indian Air Force is also known as “Bhartiya Vayu Sena”. The Indian Air Force, the air arm of the Indian military, has its prime duty of protecting the Indian airspace and in addition to doing the ethereal warfare amid any clash.
Source: India Today
“M Rajeshwar Rao appointed deputy governor of RBI.”
- The government on Wednesday appointed RBI’s senior-most executive director M Rajeshwar Rao as the deputy governor of the central bank.
- Rao was appointed to the post vacated by N S Vishwanathan, who stepped down three months ahead of his extended tenure on health grounds.
- “The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of M Rajeshwar Rao, Executive Director, Reserve Bank of India to the post of Deputy Governor Reserve Bank of India,” a notification by the Department of Personnel and Training said.
- According to the RBI Act, 1934, the central bank needs to have four deputy governors — two from within the ranks, one commercial banker and another an economist to head the monetary policy department.
Source: Hindustan Times
“India gets first ever brand, logo for its ‘Kasturi Cotton.”
- Smriti Zubin Irani, Union Minister of Textiles and Women & Child Development launched the 1st ever brand and logo for Indian Cotton on 2nd World Cotton Day.
- Now India’s premium Cotton would be known as ‘Kasturi Cotton’ in the world cotton Trade. The Kasturi Cotton brand will represent Whiteness, Brightness, Softness, Purity, Luster, Uniqueness and Indian ness.
- This event becomes more important as the 2nd World Cotton Day is being celebrated world over today.
“Cabinet approves reforms in natural gas marketing.”
- Bringing in reforms in natural gas marketing. the union cabinet approved a standardised bidding process for gas prices.
- Briefing the media after the meeting, Union Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan said that the Directorate General of Hydrocarbons (DGH) will suggest an e-bidding platform for users.
- He noted that producers will have a choice to opt for a platform and transparent and open bidding process to be conducted for price discovery.
Source: Economic Times
“Nobel Prize 2020 in Chemistry jointly awarded to Charpentier and Doudna for Genome Editing findings.”
- Two Laureates share the Nobel Prize 2020 in Chemistry for the development of a method for Genome Editing. One half of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry is awarded to Emmanuelle Charpentier (51) while the other half to Jennifer A. Doudna (56).
- Both of them have discovered one of gene technology’s sharpest tools: the CRISPR/Cas9 genetic scissors.With the help of these, the DNA of the animals, plants and other microorganisms can be changed with extremely high precision.
- The discovery of CRISPR/Cas9 genetic scissors in 2012 by Charpentier and Doudna has proved to be helpful in several other discoveries.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Former CBI director Ashwani Kumar found dead at Shimla residence.”
- Ashwani Kumar, former Governor of Manipur and Nagaland, and ex-CBI Director, was found dead at his residence in Shimla, police said. He was 70.
- Kumar was born at Nahan in Sirmaur district and joined the Indian Police Force in 1973. He was allotted the Himachal Pradesh cadre and while working as the district Superintendent of Police at Shimla in 1985, he was inducted in the newly created Special Protection Group (SPG), where he worked till 1990.
- In August 2006, he was appointed the DGP of Himachal and in July 2008, he became the first police officer from the state to become the director of CBI.
- He retired in 2010, after which he started teaching MBA students as a visiting faculty at several institutions.
- From March 2013 to July 2014, he served as the Governor of Nagaland and also held the additional charge of Governor of Manipur for some time.
- He was the director of the probe agency during its investigation into the Aarushi Talwarmurder case.
Source: Indian Express
“TNPL spinner MP Rajesh passes away.”
- In a sad news coming out of the Tamil Nadu cricketing circle, 35-year-old spinner Prasanth Rajesh (MP Rajesh) is no more.
- Prasanth Rajesh, an impressive leggie, starred in his TNPL debut in 2018 and scalped 3 vital wickets to help his team LYCA Kovai Kings beat IDream Karaikudi Kaalai by five runs in the Super Over match at the Indian Cement Company Ground in Tirunelveli.
- Notably, Prasanth Rajesh played along Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) star T Natarajan in the match.
Source: India Today
“API integration between PM SVANidhi, SBI portal launched.”
- The Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs will integrate the application programming interface (API) between SVANidhi portal and various banks to expedite loan sanctioning and disbursement process under Modi government’s PM SVANidhi scheme for nano entrepreneurs.
- To begin with, the ministry launched the API integration between the PM SVANidhi portal and SBI’s eMudra portal. Ministry would perform similar integration with other banks as well for which a consultative meeting will be held shortly.
“Indian Coast Guard Offshore Patrol Vessel ‘Vigraha’ launched to enhance coastal security.”
- The seventh offshore patrol vessel of the Indian Coast Guard (ICG), ‘Vigraha’ was formally unveiled at Kattupalli.
- The vessel built by Larsen and Toubro, is the last in the series of seven OPVs contracted to the company by the Ministry of Defence in 2015.
- It was for the first time a private sector shipyard has undertaken the design and construction of offshore patrol vessel class of ships.
- The vessel is expected to be inducted into the Coast Guard after completion of extensive trials and testing for the equipment and machinery.
- Some of the roles undertaken by the OPVs include coastal and offshore patrol, policing maritime zones of the country, surveillance, anti-smuggling and anti-piracy operations.
Source: Economic Times
“World Bank: Biennial Poverty and Shared Prosperity report.”
- On October 7, 2020, the World bank released the biennial poverty and shared prosperity report. According to the report, around 150 million people are likely to enter extreme poverty due to covid-19 pandemic in different countries.
- Between 1990 and 2015 the Global poverty declined at the rate of 1 % per year. Also, the extreme poverty rate declined by 26% during the time period. The distresses created by the covid-19 pandemic is to reverse the scenario.
- The report says that lack of poverty data from India has made it difficult for the bank to estimate current Global poverty. India is one of the economies with the largest population of extreme power according to the bank.
Source: GK Today