Daily GK Updates: 7th November 2020
“ISRO launches PSLV C-49 carrying EOS-01, 9 other satellites”.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) launched the 51st mission of Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).
- The carrier vehicle PSLV C49 will deliver 10 satellites in all with EOS-01 as the primary one. The EOS-01, an earth observation satellite, was intended to provide agriculture, forestry and disaster management support.
- The nine customer satellites are from Lithuania (1), Luxembourg (4) and USA (4). The carrier was launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) in Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh at 3.12pm. Earlier, the launch time was at 3.02pm.
- Soon after the lift off, EOS-01 and all other nine customer satellites successfully separated and injected into the orbit.
- This is the first mission by ISRO in 2020.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Maria Thattil Indian-Origin Woman Crowned Miss Universe Australia 2020”.
- Last year in 2019, India-born Priya Serrao had won the title, and this year, Indian-origin Australian resident Maria Thattil has been crowned as the Miss Universe Australia 2020.
- Amid the coronavirus pandemic, the pageant event was held virtually.
- Thattil is very proud of her Indian roots. “I belong here and at the same time, I strongly resonate with my Indian roots. I have found a balance between the two. It is not either-or for me. This is who I am and it is very unique”, she said.
Source: India Times
“Manipur’s Gyanendro becomes 1st president of Hockey India from Northeast.”
- Manipur’s Gyanendro Ningombam was elected unopposed as the President of Hockey India while former President Mohd Mushtaque Ahmad is back in the Hockey India Executive Board after being Elected Unopposed for the Senior Vice President post.
- According to sources from Hockey India, the Governing Body for Hockey held its 10th Hockey India Congress & Elections on Friday in New Delhi where the newly elected President and Senior Vice President officially took charge of their duties.
- On being elected unopposed, Gyanendro becomes the first President from the north east India to spearhead Hockey India. He will serve as Head of the national federation for two years.
- Gyanendro has been associated with the discipline of Hockey in Manipur for the last 40 years, and has impressed with his work at the grassroots level.
- He was Senior Vice President of Hockey India, Senior Vice President of Manipur Hockey, and also Chief Executive Officer of Manipur Hockey. He also served as the editor of Meeyam, an evening daily in Manipur.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Whatsapp Partners with 5 Banks for UPI Payment.”
- WhatsApphas partnered with five Indian banks to process its payment services. These are State Bank of India, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank and Jio Payments Bank.
- The Facebook-owned messaging platform, WhatsApp Inc., has received the approval from the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI)to launch its Unified Payments Interface (UPI) based payments services in India, to let users send or receive money across the country.
- The service can however be expanded in a graded manner. It means that initially, Whatsapp can only roll out the payments service to only its 20 million users.
- The payment system will be rolled out in ten Indian regional languages in the latest version of WhatsApp app.
“India’s special forces carry out a ‘Bull Strike’ in Andaman Nicobar Islands.”
- A military exercise involving special forces was carried out in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands between November 3 and 5 as the Army, Navy and Air Force got together for the war games amid the India-China standoff to test synergy in joint operations.
- Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC) conducted a joint services exercise code-named ‘Bull Strike’, involving the three Services components of Andaman and Nicobar Command.
- Elements of Indian Army’s Parachute Brigade, marine commandos or MARCOS and Special Forces carried on the exercise at the remotely located Teressa Island, in the strategically important Nicobar Group of Islands.
- The major training activities comprised combat free fall and para drop from strategic lift aircraft C-130 by a company of Para Commandos from the mainland, action by MARCOS of Indian Navy and Special Heli Borne Operations (SHBO) by Indian Army Ghatak Platoons.
- The exercise focussed on enhancing interoperability and synergy among the three Services, to maximise combat potential. In addition, Search and Rescue (SAR) and Medical Evacuation procedures were practiced by participating troops.
Source: India Today
“National Cancer Awareness Day 2020.”
- Cancer is the second leading cause of death globally. Cancer is the uncontrolled growth of a group of cells in the body. It happens when the body’s normal control mechanism stops working.
- Thus, to raise the awareness of cancer and encourage its prevention National Cancer Awareness Day is observed every year on November 7.
- Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan first announced National Cancer Awareness Day in September 2014.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), in 2018 there were approximately 18 million cases globally, of which 1.5 million were in India alone. There were around 0.8 million cancer deaths in India in 2018 against 9.5 million globally. The numbers of new cases are estimated to double in India by 2040.
Source: India Today
“Hockey Mizoram Named ‘Best’ HI Member Unit Award for 2019-20.”
- Hockey Mizoram has been named as the best Hockey India member unit award for 2019-2020.
- Hockey Mizoram led by President Zothankimi and General Secretary Lalrinfela have “worked towards the growth of hockey in the state and have shown tremendous zeal in promoting the sport at various districts and they have also worked towards developing a well-oiled coaching setup equipped with modern techniques”, said Hockey India in a media release.
- Hockey India also awarded Rakesh Kumar as the best employee while for his outstanding efforts in officiating at international & domestic level tournaments, Javed Shaikh was given the best umpire manager/umpire award.
- Manish Gour from Nagpur was adjudged the best technical official for 2019-20.
“EEPC India, NID join hands to promote designs, tech for medical device industry.”
- Engineering exporters” body EEPC India and National Institute of Design (NID) joined hands to promote designs and technology for medical device industry to meet emerging needs of the health sector, particularly in the wake of COVID-19 pandemic.
- EEPC India Chairman Mahesh Desai said the council is bringing together policymakers, researchers, designers and industry on a common platform to discuss the possibilities of design in the country in the wake of new and unexpected needs of healthcare facilities due to the outbreak of COVID-19.
- He informed that the first design series was proposed for the medical sector. It has been titled – Post-COVID 19- Design Intervention for Medical Device Industry.
Source: Outlook India
“Brookfield Properties wins Indian Green Building Council Excellence Awards at Performance Challenge for Green Built Environment 2020.”
- Brookfield Properties (“Brookprop Management Services Private Limited”) has won the ‘Excellence Award’ for two of its Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) platinum certified IT parks: Candor TechSpace G2, Sector 21, Gurugram and Candor TechSpace N1, Sector 62, Noida, at the recently held Performance Challenge for Green Built Environment 2020.
- The award underlines Brookfield Properties’ goal to minimize its impact on the environment, while improving the efficient use of resources.
- Indian Green Building Council launched the ‘Performance Challenge for Green Built Environment’ program for encouraging fully certified green building projects to maintain their facilities as green.
- This award is applicable to the buildings that have achieved Bronze/Gold/Platinum IGBC certifications before 2019.
Source: Business Standard
“Yakshagana artiste Vasudeva Samaga passes away.”
- Senior Yakshagana artiste M. R. Vasudeva Samaga passed away near Udupi on November 7.
- An accomplished artiste, Vasudeva Samaga was well-versed both in Badagu Thittu and Tenku Thittu schools of Yakshagana. As a professional artiste, he had toured in a number of Yakshagana ‘melas’ (touring troupes), including the more than a century old Dharmasthala Yakshagana mela.
- He was comfortable in exhibiting all ‘rasas’ of Yakshagana including the ‘hasya rasa’. He had formed his own talamaddale troupe called ‘samyamam’.
- Vasudeva Samaga used to perform many ‘stree veshas’ (women roles) that required additional skills to perform.
Source: 24*7 news