Daily GK Updates: 6th October 2020
“2020 Nobel: Three scientists share Prize in Physiology or Medicine.”
- Americans Harvey J Alter and Charles M Rice, and British scientist Michael Houghton were awarded the Nobel Prize for Medicine or Physiology on Monday for the discovery of the hepatitis C virus.
- Announcing the prize in Stockholm on Monday, the Nobel Committee noted that the trio’s work helped explain a major source of blood-borne hepatitis that couldn’t be explained by the hepatitis A and B viruses.
- Their work make possible blood tests and new medicines that have saved millions of lives, the committee said.
- The prestigious Nobel award comes with a gold medal and prize money of 10 million Swedish kronor (over USD 1,118,000), courtesy of a bequest left 124 years ago by the prize’s creator, Swedish inventor Alfred Nobel.
- The medicine prize carried particular significance this year due to the coronavirus pandemic, which has highlighted the importance that medical research has for societies and economies around the world.
Source: The Hindu
“Puducherry airport may soon get solar energy.”
- The Puducherry airport will soon be fully powered by solar energy with the completion of a 500 kW solar plant that can generate up to 3,000 units a day.
- The installation of around 1,500 solar panels on far end of the runway near Karuvadikuppam area has been completed. Work related to the setting up of a transformer, grid connection and electric works are nearing completion, Vijaya Upadhyay, Director, Puducherry Airport told The Hindu.
- The airport operates two flights — Hyderabad and Bengaluru sectors — and would be literally shut in the afternoon and the power generated during non-working hours would be transferred to the grid. The plant was estimated to cost about ₹3.5 crore, he added.
Source: The Hindu
“Famous Chilli of Sikkim “Dalle Khursani” Gets GI Tag.”
- The red cherry pepper chilli of Sikkim which is locally known as the “Dalle Khursani” has earned the geographical indication (GI) tag from the Union department of Industry promotion and internal trade.
- Notably it is considered as one of the hottest chilli in the world.
- Dalle Khursani has been included in the GI Registry of the Government of India on the basis of an application filed by the North Eastern Regional Agricultural Marketing Corporation Limited (Neramac) on behalf of Sikkim.
- It is to be mentioned that the largest manufacturer of Dalle Khursani products is the state government-owned Sikkim Supreme.
Source: North East Today
“BRICS Summit to be held virtually on November 17.”
- The 12th BRICS Summit under the Russian Presidency will be held virtually on November 17. This will enable PM Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi President to be at same platform amid tensions along LAC and act as CBM.
- The theme of the Meeting of the Leaders of BRICS countries is “BRICS Partnership for Global Stability, Shared Security and Innovative Growth”.
- The main purpose of the Russian BRICS Chairmanship in 2020, as it is for a multifaceted cooperation between the BRICS countries, is to contribute to raising living standards and quality of life our peoples,” according to a statement issued by the BRICS Presidency.
Source: Economic Times
“MoHUA Signs MoU With Swiggy Under PM SVANidhi Scheme To Bring Street Food Vendors Online At Ecommerce Platform.”
- Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has joined hands with online food ordering and delivery platform Swiggy to bring street food vendors onboard at its ecommerce platform in line with the commitments of PM SVANidhi (Prime Minister Street Vendor’s AtmaNirbhar Nidhi).
- While the scheme provides online access to thousands of consumers, it also helps the vendors grow their businesses and help them become self reliant.
- The MoU was exchanged between Rahul Bothra, Chief Financial Officer of Swiggy and Joint Secretary Sanjay Kumar in a webinar session attended by Durga Shanker Mishra, MoHUA Secretary and various other officials of Swiggy and the Ministry.
- The initiative aims to transform the momentum of business of Street Vendors in the COVID-19 scenario by facilitating them to serve the customers through online mode. The MoHUA initiative involves fssai and Swiggy together with GST officials to fulfil all the required prerequisites. As per the plans, Swiggy and MoHUA will initially on-board 250 vendors across Delhi, Ahmedabad, Indore, Chennai and Varanasi to run a pilot program.
- After the MoHUA gets successful in this pilot in these cities, it will further expand this initiative across the country. The initiative is also being seen as an effort to empower the street vendors with the help of digital technology.
Source: News Orbiter
“ISLRTC, NCERT to sign MoU to convert educational materials into Indian Sign Language.”
- A historic Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) will be signed on Tuesday (October 6, 2020) between the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Center (ISLRTC) and National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) to make educational materials accessible for deaf children in their preferred format of communication viz Indian Sign Language.
- As part of this MoU, educational print materials such as NCERT Textbooks, Teachers Handbook and other Supplementary materials and resources of Class I-XII of all subjects of both Hindi and English Medium will be converted into Indian Sign Language in Digital format.
- The signing of this MoU is a historic step as availability of NCERT textbooks in Indian Sign Language will ensure that deaf children can also now access educational resources in Indian Sign Language and it will be a useful and much-needed resource for dead students, teachers, parents and the deaf community.
- This will also ensure educational standardization of Indian Sign Language as mandated in the New Education Policy (NEP), 2020.
Source: Zee News
“Former Samajwadi Party MLC Mulayam Singh Yadav dies, Akhilesh Yadav pays tribute.”
- Senior Samajwadi Party (SP) leader Mulayam Singh Yadav passed away on Saturday night. The namesake of the Samajwadi Party founder Mulayam Singh Yadav was a close associate of the party’s patron. He was 92.
- Mulayam Singh Yadav had a formidable political presence in the Auraiya district of Uttar Pradesh becoming a sarpanch at the age of 21 in 1949. He was elected sarpanch for five consecutive terms.
- He later served as the block pramukh for 15 years between 1973 and 1988, and also as a Member of Legislative Council (MLC) in Uttar Pradesh from 1990 to 2010.
- He was considered a close aide of Mulayam Singh Yadav, the former Defence minister. Samajwadi party chief Akhilesh Yadav offered his condolences on the demise of Mulayam Singh Yadav, who breathed his last in his ancestral village, Kakor Ke Kathore Ka Purva.
Source: India Today
“PM Modi Expresses Anguish On Death Of Ex-Gujarat HC Acting Chief Justice AS Dave.”
- Former Acting Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court Justice Anantkumar Surendraray Dave passed away at the age of 62 on Monday.
- He enrolled as an Advocate with the Bar Council of Gujarat in 1984. He was also awarded MS Pandit Gold Medal in Jurisprudence.
- Dave was appointed as Additional Judge of the Gujarat High Court on October 8, 2004, and confirmed as a permanent Judge on September 25, 2006.
- He was then appointed as the Acting Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court on November 14, 2018, and held the position until Chief Justice Vikram Nath’s appointment in September 2019.
- He had also served as a standing counsel for the Union Government and as an Additional Government Pleader for the State Government. He had also headed the bench that dealt with the Godhra train burning case.
Source: Republic World
“Harsh Vardhan, UP CM inaugurate Super Speciality Block at Prayagraj medical college.”
- Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan along with Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on Monday digitally inaugurated the Super Speciality Block (SSB) at Motilal Nehru Medical College, Prayagraj.
- The 220-bedded facility has been dedicated as a COVID Hospital (DCH) to the nation, according to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Launching the COBAS 6800 high throughput machine, Dr Harsh Vardhan said: “The COBAS 6800, a fully automated, high-end machine for performing real-time PCR testing for COVID-19 will provide quality, high-volume testing with a high throughput of around 1200 samples in 24 hours. COBAS 6800 can also detect other pathogens like Viral Hepatitis B and C, HIV, MTb (both Rifampicin and Isoniazide resistance), Papilloma, Cytomegalovirus, Chlamydia, Neiserreia etc.
Source: Ind News
“CM Sarbananda Sonowal launches portal for online pension submission and tracking.”
- To lend convenience to the pensioners to dispose their pension related claims, Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal launched a portal ‘Kritagyata’ an online pension submission and tracking system at a function held at Assam Administrative Staff College here on Thursday.
- With the help of the portal, the retired government employee, besides submitting pension related papers on line will get opportunity to check the status of his pension.
- The portal has been created in line with the ‘Bhabhisya’ portal of Government of India. Though the portal has been launched as pilot project for the teachers and employees under Inspector of Schools of Kamrup Metropolitan district, it will be replicated to all government employees of the state in all districts in phases.
- The State government has launched the portal ‘Kritagyata’ as a mark of its gratitude to the government employees who rendered service to the people.