Daily GK Updates: 6th November 2020
“US formally exits Paris climate deal.”
- The US formally exited the Paris Climate Agreement amid election uncertainty, three years after President Donald Trump announced his intent to remove the country from participating in the landmark global pact to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- President Trump originally announced his intention to withdraw from the agreement in 2017 and formally notified the United Nations last year. The US exited the pact after a mandatory year-long waiting period.
- The historic accord seeks to limit global warming to less than 2 degrees Celsius, the value that climate scientists have determined will have disastrous consequences if exceeded.
- The US is the only country to withdraw from the global pact. It can still attend negotiations and give opinions, but is relegated to observer status.
- The US is the second leading producer of all carbon dioxide emissions globally, behind China.
Source: Indian Express
“Dr Harsh Vardhan Presents Gandhian Young Technological Awards In Two Categories Virtually.”
- The Union Minister of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Science and Technology and Earth Sciences Dr Harsh Vardhan, presented the Students Innovations for Advancement of Research Explorations – Gandhian Young Technological Innovation (SITARE-GYTI) and Society for Research and Initiatives for Sustainable Technological Innovations-Gandhian Young Technological Innovation (SRISTI-GYTI) awards virtually.
- As part of the virtual award distribution function, fourteen awards and eleven appreciations under SITARE-GYTI; seven awards and 16 appreciations under SRISTI-GYTI were presented.
- Gandhian Young Technological Innovation awards constitute two categories of awards, SITARE–GYTI under Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC), Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and SRISTI-GYTI given by SRISTI.
- Under SITARE-GYTI awards, 250 entries from student innovators with potential for Biotech and Life Science start-ups were received in six categories from 96 universities and institutes across 23 states and Union Territories.
- More than 700 entries were received under SRISTI-GYTI in 42 technology domains from 270 universities and institutes belonging to 27 states and union territories.
“Thaawarchand Gehlot inaugurates ADIP Camp in North Mumbai.”
- Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Thaawarchand Gehlot inaugurated ADIP Camp for free distribution of assistive aids and devices to Divyangjan in North Mumbai through virtual platform.
- Mr Gehlot said, in the last six years, Department of Empowerment of Person with Disabilities has conducted nine thousand 265 such distribution camps under ADIP scheme and covered more than 16 Lakh Divyangjan beneficiaries.
- He further informed that in the wake of COVID-19 pandemic, the Ministry has approved a revised Standard Operating Procedure for distribution camps under the prevalent conditions adhering to social distancing and Sanitization protocol.
- He expressed his gratitude towards Member of Parliament of North Mumbai Gopal Shetty for his contribution in providing 33 Motorized Tricycles through his MPLAD fund.
Source: News on Air
“WhatsApp Disappearing Messages Feature Launched, Rollout to Be Completed in November.”
- WhatsApp has officially announced that it will be introducing a new ‘Disappearing Messages’ feature through an update that rolls out globally this month. The details of the new feature, however, have been out since earlier this week after an FAQ page created by WhatsApp was noticed.
- The long-anticipated ephemeral messaging feature pioneered by Snapchat was first spotted last month through a WhatsApp beta version. It will allow users to enable an option on individual and group chats that deletes new messages after seven days.
- ‘Disappearing Messages’ has started rolling out from today, and will be available across Android, iOS, and Linux-based KaiOS devices, along with WhatsApp Web and Desktop platforms, by the end of this month.
- Whatsapp had earlier this week detailed how to enable/ disable the new ‘Disappearing Messages’ feature on different devices and published FAQs on its usage on a support page.
- The ‘Disappearing Messages’ feature on WhatsApp is also different from how it works on Telegram. While Telegram lets users decide the duration before the messages disappear in a chat, messages sent to a chat on WhatsApp will disappear after seven days. Snapchat, on the other hand, deletes Snaps after they’ve been opened, deletes unopened Snaps sent to a group chat in 24 hours, and all other unopened Snaps in 30 days.
“Tanzania President John Pombe Magufuli sworn in for a second term.”
- The swearing-in ceremony of President John Pombe Magufuli is underway in Dodoma, Tanzania.
- Magufuli (pictured) has taken an oath to serve Tanzania for another five years in his second his second term which will run from 2021 to 2025.
- Magufuli held up a ceremonial spear and shield to signify the beginning of his presidency, shortly after taking the oath.
Source: Standard Media
“PM Modi To Chair Virtual Global Investor Roundtable On November 5.”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi chair a virtual global investor roundtable that will provide an opportunity to leading global investors and Indian business leaders to engage and deliberate with senior policy makers on how to further accelerate the growth of international investments in the country.
- The Virtual Global Investor Roundtable (VGIR) is being organised by the Ministry of Finance and the National Investment and Infrastructure Fund, the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
- It is an exclusive dialogue between leading global institutional investors, Indian business leaders and the highest decision makers from the government of India and financial market regulators.
- The roundtable will witness participation from 20 of the world’s largest pension and sovereign wealth funds with a total assets under management of about USD 6 trillion.
- These global institutional investors represent key regions including the US, Europe, Canada, Korea, Japan, Middle East, Australia, and Singapore.
“AK Gupta becomes new MD and CEO of ONGC Videsh.”
- AK Gupta, the new Managing Director and CEO of ONGC Videsh Limited (OVL) took charge.
- Before this, he was Director (Operations) of the company. Gupta was also the Head of New businesses in Marketing in ONGC and Head Business development in ONGC Videsh, both for the domestic and international markets.
- He has handled commercial negotiations with alliance partners, regulators, customers and National Oil Companies.
- OVL is the international petroleum company of India and the overseas arm of national oil and gas major Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) Limited.
- Gupta brings with him over three decades of experience in various capacities in domestic and overseas oil and gas exploration and production operations.
“ICICI Bank launches banking stack for millennial customers.”
- ICICI Bank has launched a banking stack for millennial customers which offers an instant savings account, a feature-driven iMobile application that offers investment guidance, curated credit and debit card, instant personal loans and overdrafts, and an experiential branch with social engagement space.
- Called ICICI Bank Mine, any millennial-aged up to 35 years can apply digitally for the account from November 6 through the bank’s website or the app.
- Sudipta Roy, Group Head – Unsecured lending, Cards and Payments Solutions, ICICI Bank said the focus is on the millennial segment and are the wealth generators of tomorrow.
- Anup Bagchi, Executive Director, ICICI Bank said the new banking stack offers a mobile-first, highly personalised and experiential led banking experience to them.
Source: The Hindu Business Line
“President Kovind promulgates Arbitration and Conciliation (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020.”
- President Ram Nath Kovind today promulgated the Arbitration and Conciliation (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020 to further amend Arbitration and Conciliation Act 1996.
- The Ordinance aims to ensure that all the stakeholders get an opportunity to seek unconditional stay of enforcement of arbitral awards where the underlying arbitration agreement or contract or making of the arbitral award are induced by fraud or corruption.
- Through the Ordinance, an addition has been made to Section 36 whereby if the Court is satisfied that a prima facie case is made out that the arbitration agreement or contract which is the basis of the award was induced or effected by fraud or corruption, it will stay the award unconditionally pending disposal of the challenge made to the award under Section 34.
Source: News on Air
“Vice President launches ‘International Satavadhanam’ event, a unique literary feat.”
- The Vice President Shri M Venkaiah Naidu has observed that ‘avadhanam’ as a literary feat has greatly contributed to the Telugu language’s glorious tradition. ‘Avadhanam’ is like a test of the poet’s literary prowess and scholarship, he added.
- This extraordinary feat, a historical and unique feature of only a few languages, should be further promoted, the Vice President advised.
- The ‘International ‘Satavadhanam’’ program, launched virtually by the Vice President, was organized by Dr. Medasani Mohan under the auspices of Sri Krishnadevaraya Satsang in Tirupati.
- Venkiah Naidu said our mother tongue is our wealth. Writers, poets, linguists and others should put greater efforts to preserve our heritage and pass it on to future generations, the Vice President added.
- He appreciated holding of programs to preserve and promote Indian languages and their heritage in foreign countries and expressed his delight at participating in such events. He urged the participants not to forget the roots of their mother tongue, while pursuing foreign languages.