Daily GK Updates: 5th October 2020
“World Teachers’ Day 2020: 05th October 2020.”
- The day honours educator’s associations around the world. This day was created by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) not only to show appreciation for teachers all over the world but also to assess the day and help teachers to improve.
- Its main aim is to prepare instructors and to guarantee that the requirements of future ages will keep on being met by educators.
- The theme of World Teachers’ Day 2020 is “Teachers: Leading in crisis, reimagining the future”.
- The day provides the occasion to celebrate the teaching profession worldwide, take stock of achievements, and draw attention to the voices of teachers who are at the heart of efforts to attain the global education target of leaving no one behind.
- The history of World Teachers’ Day traced back to 5th October, 1966.
Source: Jagran Josh
“India successfully tests nuclear-capable Shaurya missile.”
- India on Saturday successfully test-fired a new version of the nuclear-capable hypersonic Shaurya missile with a range of 750 kilometres from a defence facility off the Odisha coast on Saturday, officials said.
- The launch is the latest in a string of recent weapons tests amid military tensions with China in the Ladakh sector.
- The launch came three days after India test-fired an extended-range BrahMos surface-to-surface supersonic cruise missile from the Integrated Test Range at Balasore in Odisha.
- The cruise missile can hit targets 400 kilometres away – its range increased from the existing 290 kilometres.
- The surface-to-surface medium range Shaurya missile, that can reach speeds of 7.5 Mach (seven and half times the speed of sound), blasted off from a canister from the Abdul Kalam Island test range off Dhamra at about 12.10 pm, the officials said, speaking on the condition of anonymity.
Source: Hindustan Time
“India successfully tests ‘game changer’ SMART torpedo system.”
- India on Monday successfully flight tested its indigenously developed SMART torpedo system, which the DRDO said will be a “game changer” in anti-submarine warfare, marking yet another milestone in strengthening the country’s maritime strategic capabilities, defence sources said.
- The Supersonic Missile Assisted Release of Torpedo (SMART) was tested at 1145 hours from the APJ Abdul Kalam Island, earlier known as Wheeler Island, off the Odisha coast.
- It met all the objectives “flawlessly”.
Source: Times of India
“India and Bangladesh hold joint Naval exercise ‘Bongosagar.”
- The second edition of the bilateral naval exercise Bongosagar between India and Bangladesh was held on Saturday in Northern Bay of Bengal. Ships from both navies participated in surface warfare drills, seamanship evolutions and helicopter operations.
- Indian Navy ships Kiltan, Khukri & Bangladesh Navy ships Abu Bakr, Prottoy, helo and MPA undertook manoeuvres, surface drills, helo operations and seamanship evolutions.
- Bongosagar will be followed by the third edition of India Bangladesh Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) on 4-5 October.
- According to a press release issued by the Ministry of Defence, the exercise Bongosagar is aimed at developing interoperability and joint operational skills through conduct of maritime exercises and operations.
- The first edition of the Exercise Bongosagar, was held in 2019.
Source: DD News
“Minister for DoNER Dr Jitendra Singh releases Coffee Table Book on Discovering Heritage of Assam.”
- Minister for Development of North Eastern Region, DoNER, Dr Jitendra Singh today released a Coffee Table Book on Discovering the Heritage of Assam, with foreword by Amitabh Bachchan and published by Penguin.
- The voluminous coffee table book with pictures and photographs presents an absorbing compilation of heritage, faith, beliefs and traditions of different ethnic tribes and subtribes living in the largest State of the North Eastern Region.
- While releasing the book, Dr Singh congratulated its author IRS officer Padampani Bora who has over the years established himself as an accomplished author, specializing in the subjects reflecting diverse nuances of the North Eastern Region of India.
- Dr Jitendra Singh said, while mostly it is suggested that North East should be brought closer to the rest of India, very few understand that actually there is much more that in fact the rest of India can learn from the North East.
Source: News on air
“Sofia Vergara is Forbes’ highest-paid actress of 2020, with Rs 315 crore earnings; no Indian on the list.”
- Sofia Vergara is the highest-paid female actor in the world, according to Forbes’ latest list. She made $43 million in a one-year period, which is the equivalent of Rs 315 crore.
- According to Forbes, most of Vergara’s earnings came from Modern Family and America’s Got Talent, which she padded up with endorsement deals. She made $500000 per episode for the show, while America’s Got Talent makes her $10 million per season.
Source: Hindustan Times
“India’s Visnu wins gold in 10m air rifle event at 5th International Online Shooting Championship.”
- India’s Visnu Shivaraj Pandian won the 10m air rifle event at the 5th edition of the International Online Shooting Championship.
- The 16-year-old Visnu shot 251.4 to win the title by a clear margin of 2 points.
- Earlier in the qualification, Visnu shot the second best score of 630.8.
Source: Times of India
“Paytm rivals Google Play Store, launches its own mini app store”.
- Paytm has played its big move in the battle against Google’s Play Store with the launch of its Android Mini App Store for Indian developers.
- These mini-apps will not be full-fledged apps per se but rather be web apps that are basically websites that act like native apps. Paytm claims that these apps will also help users save their data and memory.
- In-app payment options include Paytm Wallet, Paytm Payments Bank, and UPI at a zero per cent fee which gives new software developers an added incentive.
- However, there is a 2 per cent charge (plus GST) levied by the company when payment is made using a credit card, debit card and net banking.
Source: Indian Express
“Railway Minister Piyush Goyal inaugurates Phoolbagan Station of Kolkata Metro’s east-west corridor.”
- The Union Railway Minister Piyush Goyal on October 4, 2020, virtually inaugurated the Phoolbagan Station of Kolkata metro’s east-west corridor. Through video conference, the minister also flagged off the first train from the newly inaugurated Phoolbagan Station.
- While terming the station as a gift for Durga Pooja, the union minister added that this extension services from Salt Lake Stadium to Phoolbagan will be of great help to the commuters because of its proximity to Sealdah station.
- The total length of the newly launched project is 16.5 kilometers and the total estimated cost of this project is Rs.8,574.98 crores. The station will connect Howrah on the West Bank of the River Hooghly with Salt Lake on its East bank.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Former Odisha minister Pradeep Maharathy dies”.
- Pradeep Maharathy, a Biju Janata Dal legislator from Pipili, died in a private hospital in Bhubaneswar.
- Maharathy, 65, tested positive for the viral infection on September 14. He suffered from co-morbidities such as diabetes and hypertension.
- He became the first sitting MLA in the state to have succumbed to the disease.
- The seven-time MLA and former minister had been on ventilator support since Friday. He is survived by wife, son and daughter.
- At least 47 MLAs of the 147-member Odisha assembly, including deputy Speaker Rajanikanta Singh and several ministers, have tested positive for Covid-19.
Source: Hindustan Times