Daily GK Updates: 3rd October 2020
“ISRO to launch its Venus Mission in 2025, French Space Agency to participate.”
- The Indian Space of Research Organisation (ISRO) is all set to launch its Venus Mission in 2025 along with participation from French Space Agency CNES (The National Centre for Space Studies).
- As per the statement released by CNES on September 30, 2020, the VIRAL (Venus Infrared Atmospheric Gases Linker) instrument which is co-developed with ROSCOSMOS, Russian Federal Space Agency, and LATMOS atmospheres, environments, and space observations laboratory attached to the CNRS (National Scientific Research Centre), France, has been selected by ISRO after the request for a proposal.
- K Sivan, ISRO Chairman, and Jean-Yves Le Gall, CNES President held talks and also reviewed the areas driving cooperation between India and France in space.
- After the Mars orbiter mission (Mangalyaan) and Moon missions Chandrayaan-1 and 2, ISRO has now set its eyes on Venus for carrying out its inter-planetary mission.
- Both France and India share a robust collaboration in the arena of space.
Source: Jagran Josh
“SBI appoints Charanjit Surinder Singh Attra as CFO”.
- State Bank of India (SBI) said Charanjit Surinder Singh Attra has been appointed as Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
- India’s largest bank had invited applications from eligible candidates for the post of CFO on a contract basis in June 2020.
- Prior to this appointment, Attra was a partner with EY India.
Source: The Hindu Business Line
“Atal Tunnel Rohtang: PM Modi inaugurates world’s longest highway tunnel above 10,000 feet in Manali”.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated Atal Tunnel in Manali. It is “world’s longest highway” tunnel and is named Atal Tunnel, Rohtang.
- The 9.02 kilometres long engineering marvel connects Manali in Himachal Pradesh to Lahaul-Spiti throughout the year.
- The Atal tunnel has huge strategic significance as it will greatly assist in the movement of armed forces.
- Atal Tunnel or the Rohtang tunnel has been built in the Pir Panjal range of Himalayas.
- The decision to construct a strategic tunnel below the Rohtang Pass was taken on June 03, 2000 during the tenure of the then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Source: Financial Express
“West Bengal launches “Pathashree Abhijan” scheme for road repair”.
- West Bengal government has launched the “Pathashree Abhijan” scheme.
- It is a road repair scheme, where more than 7,000 stretches of roads comprising 12,000 kilometers across the state will be repaired in a mission mode and in a time-bound manner.
- The government of West Bengal has collated a list of the roads that will be repaired under the new scheme as the people of the state reached out to the Chief Minister through the ‘Didi Ke Bolo’ initiative of the g
“Chemicals minister launches home delivery of fertilisers for Andhra farmers”.
- Chemicals and Fertilisers Minister D V Sadananda Gowda on Wednesday launched the home delivery facility of fertilisers for farmers in Andhra Pradesh.
- Gowda launched POS 3.1 software, SMS Gateway and home delivery facility of fertilisers for farmers in Andhra Pradesh, an official statement said.
- The minister said the DBT (direct benefits transfer) system was launched on March 1, 2018, on a pan-India basis that has been working well.
- He said the fertiliser department has successfully implemented a complex system of end-to-end computerisation of movement of fertiliser in the entire country. The system enables to monitor availability of fertiliser on a real-time basis at state, district and at the retail outlet.
- Under an initiative of home delivery of fertilisers in Andhra Pradesh, the state government has launched 10,641 Rythu Bharosa Kendralu (RBKs) in all gram panchayats to provide farmers with quality inputs and allied services.
- Under this systems, farmers after biometric authentication can order fertilizers from RBK (Rythu Bharosa Kendra) in their village and fertiliser will be delivered at their door step.
Source: Business Standard
“Tribal Affairs Minister Arjun Munda to launch largest market of Tribal Products ‘Tribes India E-Marketplace’”.
- Union Minister for Tribal Affairs Arjun Munda will virtually launch India’s largest handicraft and organic products marketplace, Tribes India E-Marketplace (market.tribesindia.com) on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti(October 2, 2020) in the presence of Renuka Singh, Minister of State, Ministry of Tribal Affairs and Deepak Khandekar, Secretary, Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- Keeping in line with the vision of the Prime Minister of making India Aatmanirbhar and self-reliant,this pathbreaking initiative of TRIFED under Ministry of Tribal Affairs will showcase the produce and handicrafts of tribal enterprises from across the country and help them market their produce/ products directly, is also a major leap towards the digitisation of tribal commerce.
- Tribes India e-Marketplace is an ambitious initiative through which TRIFED aims to onboard 5 lakh tribal producers for sourcing of various handicraft, handloom, natural food products across the country and brings to you the best of tribal produce.
Source: DD News
“Ganguly new brand face for Bengal Peerless”.
- Bengal Peerless Housing Development Company has welcomed Sourav Ganguly as its brand ambassador.
- The former Team India captain and current president of BCCI will primarily lead the campaign of Avidipta II real estate project on E M Bypass.
- According to the company, the buyer mix of the project includes local HIGs (high income group) and also a good number of NRIs.
- Ketan Sengupta, CEO, Bengal Peerless Housing Development Company, said, “Sourav Ganguly has been our first choice as the brand ambassador of the project because of his personality dynamics, which largely come with reliability and longevity. We strongly believe in creating value for our customers and upgrading the lifestyle of people who has shown faith and believe in us.”
Source: Times of India
“Veteran social activist Pushpa Bhave passes away”.
- Veteran social activist Pushpa Bhave died here following a prolonged illness, sources close to her said on Saturday. She was 81.
- Journalist-activist Jatin Desai described Bhave as a multi-faceted personality.
- She was also an academician and an intellectual, who fought for the rights of common citizens, he said.
Source: Indian Express
“Tata Steel and Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) sign MoU to collaborate in the area of Carbon Capture, Utilisation & Storage (CCUS)”.
- Considering the importance of Carbon Capture, Utilisation & Storage (CCUS) in India’s fight against Climate Change and Global Warming, meeting the growing energy demands and building a strong ecosystem to meet commitments under Paris Agreement, Tata Steel Limited and the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) have joined hands to work in the field of CCUS.
- As part of this strategic MoU signed between Tata Steel Limited and the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), the teams from Tata Steel and CSIR will work towards accelerating development and deployment of CCUS technologies in the steel industry. These technologies would expedite transition to a decarbonised economy in other carbon intensive sectors like Power, Cement, and Fertilizer etc.
- This collaboration would entail work across key areas of CO2 capture, utilization and storage and would be co-led by Dr. Rakesh Kumar, Director NEERI (National Environmental Engineering Research Institute) as the CSIR nodal and Dr. Debashish Bhattacharjee, VP, Technology & New Materials Business, Tata Steel. In addition, several other CSIR laboratories would also participate given their diverse competencies in this area.
Source: Tata Steel
“Odisha: On World Postcard Day, picture postcard named “Jau Kandhei” released on theme ‘Traditional Toys of India’”.
- On the occasion of World Postcard Day today, the Chief Postmaster General, Odisha Circle, has released a picture postcard named “Jau Kandhei” on the theme of ‘Traditional Toys of India’.
- As per the official information shared by the department of post, ten other postal circles across the country have also released similar postcards on the same theme.
- The objective is to promote the artisans making traditional toys in Odisha and other parts of the country.
Source: IND News