Daily GK Updates: 30th October 2020
‘‘International Internet Day: A look at the world wide web of 2020.’’
- The International Internet Day is celebrated globally on October 29 every year. The day marks the sending of the first electronic message which was transferred from one computer to another in 1969.
- Since then the Internet has gone through a revolution, not just evolution.
- Today, according to Hosting Clues, on an average an internet user is online for 6.5 hours a day. With over 560 million users, India is the second largest online market.
- Let’s take a look at some interesting facts reported by Hosting Clues, on the Internet of 2020:
Source: CNBC TV18
“Yashvardhan Kumar Sinha is Next Chief Information Comissioner (CIC).”
- Former diplomat and Central Information Commissioner Yashvardhan Kumar Sinha is tipped to be appointed as the country’s next Chief Information Commissioner (CIC).
- Two months after the position at the top transparency watchdog fell vacant, sources said on Thursday.
- The decision was taken after an October 24 meeting of the high power selection panel headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. However, Congress leader in the Lok Sabha Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, who is also a member of the panel, is learnt to have submitted a dessent note.
- Sinha is a retired officer of the Indian Foreign Service and has previously served as India’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom and to Sri Lanka. He was appointed as a member of the Central Information Commissioner in January 2019.
Source: The Hindu
‘‘BharatPe Launches Digital Gold scheme.’’
- Merchant payment platform BharatPe has introduced the digital gold product on its platform for merchants in association with Safegold.
- Safegold is a digital platform that allows customers to buy, sell and take delivery of 24k physical gold, at low ticket sizes. Around the clock.
- “The launch of ‘BharatPe Gold’ has been timed to add to the celebrations in this festive season. A merchant can start investing in gold for as low as Re. 1,” says BharatPe.
- Merchants will get an entire gamut of financial products with the launch of digital gold on BharatPe, a company statement said.
Source: India Tv
“PM Modi inaugurates “Arogya Van’ in Kevadia, Gujarat.”
- The van (forest) has hundreds of medicinal plants. It also provides information about the usage and importance of the medicinal plants.
- The forest is spread over 17 acres. It has more than 380 selected species. It consists of an aroma garden, a lotus pond, yoga and meditation garden, digital information centre, indoor plant selection and a cafeteria serving Ayurvedic foods.
- The Prime Minister also inaugurated the Sardar Patel Zoological Park. It is popularly known as the “Jungle Safari” in Kevadia. He also inaugurated “Ekta Mall”. It is a nutrition park for children in KEvadia.
- According to the Global nutrition report 2020, India is one of the 88 countries that are likely to miss the Global nutrition target by 2025.
Source: GK Today
“Ministry of Science and Technology launches SERB-POWER.”
- On October 29, 2020, the Minister of Science and Technology Dr.Harsh Vardhan launched the SERB-POWER initiative. The scheme mitigates gender disparity in science and engineering research funding programmes in Indian academic Institutions and Research and Development Laboratories.
- The scheme targets women researchers of age 35 to 55 years. It will provide 25 to 75 Fellowship per year.
- The selected candidates under the scheme will receive Fellowship of 15000 rupees per month.
- This is in addition to the regular income. Also, they will receive 10 lakh rupees per annum as a research grant and 90000 Rupees as overhead in their career.
Source: GK Today
‘‘Indian Army launches indigenous mobile app ‘SAI’, will facilitate secure messaging.’’
- The Indian Army has developed and launched a secure messaging application, Secure Application for the Internet or SAI.
- The app supports end-to-end secure voice, text and video calling services for Android platform and was launched to prevent “leaking” of any classified information to inimical intelligence agencies, the ministry of defence said in a statement.
- “The model (of SAI) is similar to commercially available messaging applications like WhatsApp, Telegram, SAMVAD and GIMS and utilises end-to-end encryption messaging protocol. SAI scores over on security features with local in-house servers and coding, which can be tweaked as per requirements,” the ministry said in a release on Thursday.
- The indigenous messaging application has been vetted by CERT-in empanelled auditor and Army Cyber Group and the process for filing Intellectual Property Rights(IPR) hosting the infrastructure on NIC and working on iOS platform for the app is currently in progress, the ministry said.
Source: Hindustan Times
‘‘Indian Railways Launches Meri Saheli initiative.”
- Indian Railways has launched the ‘Meri Saheli’ initiative which focuses on the safety of women passengers travelling through trains across all the zones.
- The initiative was started as a pilot project in the South Eastern Railway in September 2020. After positive feedback from the women passengers, it was extended to all the zones and Konkan Railway with effect from October 17, 2020.
- Meri Saheli initiative has been launched by the Railway Protection Force (RPF) for the safety of the women passengers.
Source: Jagran Josh
‘‘Kerala to set up post-Covid treatment clinics across state.’’
- In Kerala, the State Health Department has decided to set up post-Covid treatment clinics across the state soon.
- AIR correspondent reports that the decision was taken as the number of people who have other health problems after recovering from COVID is increasing as nearly 10 per cent of the recovered patients are reporting serious health issues.
- The draft plan for opening special clinics to treat health issues in recovered COVID patients has been prepared. The post-COVID clinics will be opened in hospitals ranging from primary health centres to medical colleges
Source: All India Radio
‘‘NABARD sanctions over ₹ 8504.30 lakh under RIDF scheme to Government of Goa during 2020-21.’’
- NABARD has sanctioned loans worth ₹ 8504.30 lakhunder Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) to the Government of Goa for various Social Infrastructure Projects in the State.
- With this, NABARD achieved 100% of the target fixed for sanction to the State Government during 2020-21; said Smt Usha Ramesh, General Manager/OiC, NABARD.
- She further stated that RIDF was instituted in NABARD with the sole objective of giving low cost support to State Governments and State owned Corporations for quick completion of projects related to medium and minor irrigation, soil conservation and others forms of rural infrastructure.
- The social infrastructure created out of the projects sanctioned to sewerage, bio digester toilets, drinking water distribution, primary health centre, etc. in the State would definitely help not only the standard of living of the people in the state but also would contribute to Prime Ministers ‘ Swachh Bharat Mission’.
“Arvind Kejriwal Launches ‘Green Delhi’ App to Address Pollution Complaints.’’
- Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today launched the ‘Green Delhi’ mobile application using which citizens can bring pollution causing activities to the government’s notice.
- The Chief Minister said the government wants to involve everyone in the fight against pollution as no big change can take place without the support of people.
- He said citizens can click pictures or make a video of pollution causing activities, such as burning of garbage, industrial pollution, dust etc. and upload them on the application.
- The application will identify the location and the complaint will be automatically forwarded to the concerned department for time-bound redressal, he said.