Daily GK Updates: 29th October 2020
“Conservation centres in 5 states among host of ideas to protect vultures.”
- Uttar Pradesh, Tripura, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu will get a vulture conservation and breeding centre each, according to the Action Plan for Vulture Conservation 2020-2025.
- The plan has also suggested that new veterinary non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) be tested on vultures before their commercial release. NSAIDS often poisons cattle whose carcasses the birds pray on.
- The action plan was approved by the National Board for Wildlife (NBWL) October 5, 2020, its minutes showed. An earlier one was formulated in 2006 for three years.
Source: Down to Earth
“PM Narendra Modi Inaugurates 4th edition of India Energy Forum.”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates and addresses the 4th edition India Energy Forum, Sera Week.
- In his address, PM Modi speaks about India’s energy sector and also congratulates Dr Daniel Yergin for his contribution to the energy sector.
- He says ‘India’s energy will energise the world. We have announced Natural Gas Marketing Reforms earlier this month. They will give greater marketing freedom.
- India’s energy future is bright and secure. We are on track to meet the commitment we made to the global community. India’s reform journey has been at high speed for the last six years. Energy security is at the core of our efforts’.
Source: Times Now News
“Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launches ‘Sumangal’ & Student Scholarship web portals.”
- Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Tuesday launched a dedicated portal to enable meritorious students to apply and avail scholarships within a specified time frame.
- The new portal will benefit more than 11 lakh students.
- . Launching the new portal www.scholarship.odisha.gov.in (http://www.scholarship.odisha.gov.in) under the 5T initiative, the Chief Minister said that now students will no longer have to apply for scholarships through portals of different departments.
Source: The Indian Express
“SBI signs $1 bn loan agreement to finance Japanese auto firms in India.”
- The loan with JBIC is intended to promote smooth flow of funds for the whole range of business operations of Japanese automobile manufacturers in India.
- State Bank of India (SBI), the country’s largest commercial bank, has signed a loan agreement amounting to $1 billion with the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC).
- Out of total amount, $600 million will be financed by the JBIC and $400 million by other participating banks. JBIC will provide a guarantee for the portion co-financed by the participating banks.
- The loan is intended to promote smooth flow of funds for the whole range of business operations of Japanese automobile manufacturers in India.
Source: The News Minute
“Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal launches ‘Green Delhi’ app to Redress pollution complaints.”
- Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Thursday launches the ‘Green Delhi’ mobile application using which citizens can bring pollution causing activities to the Government notice.
- The Chief Minister said the Government want to involve everyone in the fight against pollution as no big change can take place without the support of people.
- He said citizens can click pictures or make a video of pollution causing activities, such as burning of garbage industrial pollution dust etc. and upload them on the application.
- The application will identify the location and the complaint will be automatically forwarded to the concerned department for time-bound redressal, he said.
Source: The Hindu
“Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal urges SCO nations to enhance trade and investment.”
- The Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, Piyush Goyal on October 28, 2020, while speaking at the 19th meeting of SCO- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation ministers to explore partnerships and leverage economic strengths that can enhance trade and investments in the region. India hosted the meeting on October 27.
- The Union Minister mentioned that the cooperation must be continued in order to enhance the intra-SCO trade and investment which will be extremely critical in ensuring the speedy recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Union Minister during his address mentioned that every nation’s world view has been shaped by its civilization and philosophical tradition. He added that India’s ancient wisdom sees the world as one family.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Former Gujarat Chief Minister Keshubhai Patel Passes Away”
- “THE MAN who built this banyan tree called BJP, from the Jana Sangh.” With these words, Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, perhaps, best summed up the life of Keshubhai Patel (92), the BJP’s first chief minister in Gujarat, who died on Thursday.
- While Patel had recovered from Covid-19 last month, his son, Bharat, told The Indian Express, that “some damage had been done to his health, as he also suffered from prostate Cancer”. He was taken to hospital on Thursday morning, where he died.
- An RSS karyakarta, Patel was among the founder members of the Bharatiya Jana Sangh (BJS), and was its president from 1972-75. He began his journey in electoral politics with the Rajkot municipality, said Kirit Pathak, BJP leader and former deputy registrar of Saurashtra University.
Source: Then Indian Express
“India-UAE Defence Cooperation enhanced through Joint Production”
- The Webinar was organised by the Department of Defence Production operating under the Ministry of Defence through Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM).The webinar was organised to help India achieve its target of reaching 5 billion USD of defence exports in five years.
- The bilateral trade between India and UAE is 53 billion USD. UAE is the third largest trading partner of India. India is the second largest export destination for UAE.
- In 2018, India allowed Abu Dhabi National Oil Corporation to store and export oil from the strategic petroleum reserve located at Mangalore Strategic Petroleum Reserve.
- Similarly, India stores its oil reserves in US Strategic Petroleum Reserve.
Source: GK Today
“Kerala becomes first state in the country to fix floor price for vegetables.”
- Kerala has become the first state in the country to set floor prices of 16 varieties of vegetables, Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan informed today (October 27). He said that The scheme would come into effect from November 01, 2020.
- In his address through video-conferencing, the Chief Minister said, “This is the first time the floor price is being fixed for vegetables produced in the state and this is the first for a state in the country also.
- This is going to provide relief as well as support for the farmers. Farmers across the country are not satisfied but for the last four and half years, we have supported the farmers and the government has taken up several initiatives primarily targeted at the development of agriculture in the state.”
Source: ET Now News
“Indian Cricketer Rohit Sharma has Appointed New Brand Ambassador of Dr Trust.”
- Senior India cricketer Rohit Sharma was on Wednesday named brand ambassador of healthcare company Dr Trust.
- Dr Trust manufactures monitoring devices, which help in tracking vitals like blood pressure, blood oxygen levels, respiration rate, pulse rate and others.
- Rohit will be featured in a new integrated campaign for Dr Trust which will run across TV, print and online channels as well as in-store – rolling out from October 2020. “These are quite handy and essential gadgets to have, more so in today’s daily life with an increased focus on health and wellness,”Rohit said in a press release.
Source: The Bridge