Daily GK Updates: 28th September 2020
International Day For Universal Access To Information (IDUAI) 2020: Current Theme, History and Significance
- It is observed on 28 September and highlights the advantage of having constitutional, statutory or policies that guarantee the public to access the information for saving lives, build trust and it also helps in the formulation of sustainable policies during COVID-19 crisis and beyond it.
- Therefore the day focuses on the importance of access to information. With this an individual and make informed decisions.
- The day also draws attention to people’s fundamental right to seek, receive, and impart information. Nowadays media plays a crucial role in providing information to people.
- The theme for International Day For Universal Access To Information (IDUAI) 2020 is “Saving lives, Building Trust, Bringing Hope”.
- The theme focuses on the importance of access to information legislation and implementations, in addition, the role of media and information literacy and open access.
Madhya Pradesh Government announces Mukhya Mantri Kisan Kalyan Yojana to benefit farmers
- Madhya Pradesh government has announced ‘Mukhya Mantri Kisan Kalyan Yojana’ on the lines of Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi.
- Under the announced scheme, the beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi, getting Rs. 6,000 per annum, will be getting additional financial assistance of Rs. 4,000, making their total annual assistance to be Rs. 10,000 per annum.
- As per the reports, around 80 lakh farmers will be benefitted from Chief Minister Kisan Kalyan Yojana. Apart from this, that state government will also integrate farmer-friendly schemes and will implement it as a package.
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sammann Nidhi is an initiative of the Indian government in which all the farmers get up to Rs. 6000 per year as minimum income support. The scheme came into effect from December 2019 and costs Rs. 75,000 crores per annum.
- The initiative was announced by the Union Minister Piyush Goyal during the interim Union Budget of India, 2019. Under the scheme, Rs. 6000 is paid to each eligible farmer in three installments and is deposited directly into their bank accounts.
Valtteri Bottas wins Russian Grand Prix 2020
- Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes-Finland) has won the Formula One Russian Grand Prix 2020 held at Sochi Autodrom, Russia. This is his second win of the season.
- Max Verstappen (Red Bull-Netherlands) came second followed by the 6-time world-champion Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain), who stood third because of penalties.
Agriculture Minister inaugurates IARI Assam Campus, to boost farm education & research in NE
- Union Minister of Agriculture Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated the Indian Agricultural Research Institute’s (IARI) Assam campus in Dhemaji district on Saturday. The institute will be named after Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya.
- Tomar said that he is hopeful that the setting up of this institute will boost farm education and research activities in the North East.
- ”As dreamt by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the setting up of IARI in Assam will enhance the development of agriculture education and research in the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura, and Sikkim. By 2050, the population of India and the challenge of climate change will considerably increase, thus the government is working in the direction that India’s agriculture sector remains strong so as to meet the challenges,” added the minister.
- He further lauded the efforts of the ministry in the development process of agricultural activities in the country and establishing new Agricultural Research Institutes in Jharkhand and Assam.
- He also highlighted the importance of locally grown crops for enhancing the income of farmers and enhance export opportunities for them.
India extends $15 million grant for promotion of Buddhist ties with Sri Lanka
- India on Saturday announced a grant assistance of $15 million for the promotion of Buddhist tieswith Sri Lanka besides affirming to expand defence partnership eyeing to stabilise the Southern Indian Ocean.
- These decisions were announced at the first ever virtual summitbetween PM Narendra Modi and Sri Lankan Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa. This was also India’s first such summit with a neighbour.
- Modi announced a grant assistance of $15 million for the promotion of Buddhist ties between the two countries.
Source: Economic Times
President gives his assent to the Jammu and Kashmir Official Languages Act, 2020
- The Jammu and Kashmir Official Languages Act, 2020, that lists the languages to be used for official purposes in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir and for matters connected therewith, has received the assent of President Ram Nath Kovind and been notified by the Centre.
- As per the Centre’s notification appearing in the official Gazette, this Act may be called the Jammu and Kashmir Official Languages Act, 2020, as per which, Kashmiri, Dogri, Urdu, Hindi and English shall be the languages used for all or any official purpose in the Union Territory.
- “The J&K Official Languages Act, 2020, as per which Kashmiri, Dogri, Urdu, Hindi and English shall be the official languages of the UT, has received Presidential assent and been notified by the Centre,” a government spokesman said.
- The Act further provides that business in the Legislative Assembly of the Union Territory shall be transacted in the official language or languages.
Source: Hindustan Times
India, Japan Naval Exercise JIMEX-2020 Begins In Arabian Sea
- Indian Navy and Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) ships conducted operations in close formation at JIMEX-2020, the 4th edition of India-Japan Maritime bilateral exercise.
It is being held in the North Arabian Sea from September 26 to 28.
- The 4th edition of India-Japan maritime bilateral exercise JIMEX, which is conducted biennially between the Indian Navy and Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) will be held in the North Arabian Sea from 26 to 28 September 2020.
- JIMEX series of exercises commenced in January 2012 with a special focus on maritime security cooperation. The last edition of JIMEX was conducted in October 2018 off Visakhapatnam, India.
- Naval cooperation between India and Japan has increased in scope and complexity over the years. Advanced level of operations and exercises planned during JIMEX-20 are indicative of the continued upswing in Indo-Japanese defence relations and continued efforts by both Governments to work closely for a more secure, open and inclusive global commons, in accordance with international regulations.
- JIMEX 20 is being conducted in a ‘non-contact at-sea-only format’, in view of COVID-19 restrictions.
Source: Business World
Neetu David appointed head of India women’s selection committee
- Neetu David, one of India’s finest woman cricketers in the late ‘90s and early 2000s, has been appointed chairman of the women’s selection committee replacing Hemalata Kala, the BCCI announced.
- The four-year term of the previous panel, led by Kala, ended in March 2020. It had Sudha Shah, Anjali Pendharkar, Shashi Gupta and Lopamudra Banerjee as other members.
- Their last assignment was selecting the team for the women’s World T20 in Australia, where India ended runners-up.
- David holds the world record for best bowling figures in an innings in a Test – 8/53 against England in Jamshedpur in 1995.
Source: Hindustan Times
Union Home Minister inaugurates “Destination North East-2020” Festival
- Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah has inaugurated the “Destination North East-2020” festival.
- The festival will be held with the theme of “The Emerging Delightful Destinations” which speaks of the tourism destinations emerging stronger and more attractive when the Sector picks up momentum.
- The “Destination North East-2020” festival aims to introduce various cultures of the country to each other along with the tourist destinations of the North East and through this the whole of India will also get familiar with the vibrant and diverse culture of the North East.
- The four-day programme will feature Audio Visual presentation of the tourist spots of the states and the region, messages from state icons and achievers, introduction to prominent local entrepreneurs and virtual exhibition of handicraft/ traditional fashion/ & local products.
Income Tax Department launches faceless appeals system
- In a significant decision, the Income Tax department has launched faceless income tax appeals system for taxpayers, the Finance Ministry said today. The faceless appeals system was on the cards of the Finance Ministry to streamline the income tax collection process and check corruption and unfair practices during the resolution of the appeals of the taxpayers.
- The Ministry while announcing the decision said that all Income tax appeals will be finalised and resolved in a faceless manner barring few exceptions. The Ministry added that only those cases involving serious fraud, major tax evasion, sensitive and search matters and international tax and Black Moneyact will require the physical presence of the taxpayer before tax officials.
- The decision to introduce the faceless income tax appeals system was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modion August 13.
- Under the new system, the taxpayers will not only be immune to the alleged corrupt practices at the hand of the tax officials but also be saving their time as they would need to file their replies and clarifications online.
Source: Financial Express