Daily GK Updates: 28th October 2020
‘‘NASA-ISRO to launch NISAR satellite in 2022.’’
- The NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar (NISAR) satellite is expected to be launched by 2022 as India and the US have decided to share Space Situational Awareness Information, which will catalyse efforts to create the conditions for a safe and sustainable space environment.
- The two sides also expressed the intent to continue the India-US Space Dialogue as well as discussions on areas of potential space defense cooperation.
- The space agencies of the two countries had signed an agreement in 2014 to conduct the joint NISAR mission to co-develop and launch a dual-frequency synthetic aperture radar on an Earth observation satellite.
‘‘India, US hold 2+2 Ministerial Dialogue, in New Delhi.’’
- India and United States on October 27, 2020, held the third India-US 2+2 Ministerial Dialogue and signed the significant defence pact BECA which allows India to use global geospatial maps of the US for accuracy of stand-off weapons.
- From India, the U.S Secretary of Defence, Mark T. Esper, and U.S. Secretary of State, Michael R. Pompeo, who came to India on October 26 for the meet, were attended by the Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and the External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar. Both countries have signed a total of five agreements in 2+2 Ministerial dialogue.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, in a press statement, highlighted the signing of BECA- Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement as a significant achievement. Earlier, the first two 2+2 ministerial dialogue between India and the US were held in New Delhi in September 2018 and in 2019 in Washington D.C.
‘‘Centre unveils new norms for awarding bodies, assessment agencies to boost skilling ecosystem.’’
- The government on Tuesday unveiled a set of guidelines for recognising and regulating awarding bodies and assessment agencies, to improve the outcomes and standardise the processes under the Skill India Mission.
- The Ministry of skill development and Enterpreneurship (MSDE), in collaboration with its unified regulator National Council for Vocational Education And Training (NCVET), unveiled the guidelines and operation manuals.
- The norms have been developed for the recognition and regulation of awarding bodies and assessment agencies, as the two entities are key elements in the skilling ecosystem.
Source: The Hindu
‘‘Bolivia election: Evo Morales’ ally Luis Arce set for win.’’
- A quick count suggests socialist candidate Luis Arce of the Mas party is set to win Bolivia’s presidential election in the first round.
- Exit polls carried out by the Jubileo research institution also give Mr Arce a commanding lead with 53% of the votes, followed by Mr Mesa with 30.8%.
- Mr Arce, an ally of exiled former President Evo Morales, says he will form a “government of national unity”.
- The country is still deeply divided after last year’s annulled election.
Source: BBC News
‘‘International Animation Day: 28th October 2020.’’
- International Animation Day is observed on October 28 to celebrate the art of animation and recognize the artists, the researchers, and the technicians behind animated art including animated movies.
- Animation is playing an extraordinary role in this century. It is surrounding us including 3D movies, cartoons, and video games. International Animation Day celebrates and praises the first public performance of Charles-Émile Reynaud’s Theatre Optique.
- The celebration of the Day recognizes and celebrates all the artists, researchers, and experts behind the animation. The theme of the Forum is BRICS partnership in the interest of global stability, general safety and innovative growth: Parliamentary dimension.
- Made by the International Animated Film (Association Internationale du Film d’Animation) in 2002, the unofficial holiday celebrates the day in 1892 when Charles-Emile Reynaud’s Theatre Optique disclosed its first appearance at the Grevin Museum in Paris, France.
Source: Time Bulletin
‘‘Legendary Actor and Politician Naresh Kanodia passes away.’’
- Actor-turned-politician Naresh Kanodia passed away at UN Mehta Institute of Cardiology and Research Centre in Ahmedabad on Tuesday morning.
- He was hospitalised on October 20 with Covid-19 infection. Kanodia was 77.
- Kanodia worked in over 300 Gujarati films, and won the Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Award in 2012 to mark the centenary of Indian cinema.
- The Gujarati film superstar died two days after his elder brother and former BJPMP from Patan Loksabha constituency.
- Both brothers were known as the Mahesh-Naresh duo in Gujarati film industry and together shared credit for several Gujarati hit movies.
Source: The Indian Express
‘‘RBI Asked lenders to implement waiver of interest on interest scheme by Nov 5.’’
- The Reserve Bank on Tuesday asked all lending institutions, including non-banking financial companies, to ensure that the scheme of waiver of interest on interest for loans up to Rs2 crore for the six-month moratorium period is implemented by November 5, as decided by the government.
- Last Friday, the government had announced the scheme for grant of ex-gratia payment of difference between compound interest and simple interest for six months to borrowers in specified loan accounts.
- The lending institutions have been asked to complete the exercise of crediting the amount in the accounts of borrowers by November 5.
Source: The Indian Express
‘‘Delhi government has said to use only green Crackers in this Diwali.”
- Delhi government has decided to allow only the use of ‘Green crackers’.
- The Delhi government will be forming 11 ‘anti-cracker squads’ and strict action will be taken if any manufacturer, seller, stocks any other crackers except green crackers.
- The Supreme Court had banned the use of pollution-creating firecrackers in 2018 and allowed the sale of green crackers in a bid to control air pollutio
Source: Jagran Josh
‘‘Shipping Ministry inaugurated ‘Direct Port Entry Facility’ at V.O. Chidambaranar port.’’
- A direct port entry facility was launched at the V O Chidambarnar port in Tuticorin by Union minister of state for shipping and minister of state for Chemicals and Fertilizers Mansukh Mandaviya.
- The modern Direct Port Entry would allow direct movement of containers from mills to the container terminal round the clock, without in-between handling at CFSs.
- The facility is launch in an area of 18,357 sq. meters inside the truck parking terminal that was created under ‘Sagarmala’ for issuing customs permission of export cargo such as mills stuffed and e-sealed containers. It can hold 18,000 twenty-foot approximately units (TEUs) per month.
- The customs segment is expected to generate the Let Export Order (LEO) under a single roof without any problem. A loyal team of CWC and conventional officials in association with VOC Port will serve Tier-II, Tier-III certified export and import clients.
Source: GK Today
‘‘NPCI launches Rupay Festive Carnival.’’
- The ‘RuPay Festive Carnival’ will give compelling advantage and interesting discounts to RuPay users. It aimed at contactless, motivating safe and cashless payments.
- RuPay cardholders can revel in celebrations by helping attractive offers. The card revel offers from not only group such as fitness, education, health, e-commerce – which are most appropriate and significant amid at present scenarios – but also from shopping, entertainment, dining and food delivery, wellness, pharmacy and others.
- Customers will be able to benefit discounts ranging from 10-65 % on famous brands, including, Swiggy, Samsung, Amazon, Flipkart among other.
Source: GK Today