Daily GK Updates: 26th October 2020
“Himachal Pradesh: Mandi district bags top position for implementation of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana”.
- Himachal Pradesh’s Mandi district has bagged top position among 30 districts of the country in successful implementation of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY).
- Himachal Pradesh has also secured second position at the national level for construction of roads under PMGSY.
- Union Ministry of Rural Development has declared the list of top performing 30 districts in the country for implementing the PMGSY programme.
- Mandi district has received top position for constructing roads under PMGSY of maximum length in 2020-21. Six more districts of Himachal Pradesh have also secured position among top 30 best performing districts, which include Chamba, Shimla, Kangra, Una, Sirmour, Hamirpur and Solan.
- The state has also improved its performance under PMGSY programme by constructing 1104 Kilometres roads this year from April till date.
- PMGSY is a programme funded by the Union government to connect habitations
Source: DD News
“Portuguese Grand Prix | Lewis Hamilton overtakes Michael Schumacher with record 92nd F1 win”.
- Hamilton becomes most successful driver of all time in race wins.
- Six-times world champion Lewis Hamilton became the most successful Formula One driver of all time in terms of race wins on Sunday with a dominant 92nd career victory at the Portuguese Grand Prix.
- The Mercedes driver, who took the chequered flag a huge 25.592 seconds ahead of second-placed team mate Valtteri Bottas, had equalled Ferrari great Michael Schumacher’s record 91 wins at the previous race at the Nuerburgring.
- Victory, along with a bonus point for fastest lap, stretched the Briton’s championship lead over Bottas to 77 points with five races remaining.
Source: The Hindu
“Reserve Bank bars payment system operators from launching new QR codes”.
- The Reserve Bank on Thursday barred Payment System Operators (PSOs) from launching any new proprietary QR code for payment transactions.
- Currently, there are two interoperable QR codes — UPI QR and Bharat QR.
- QR codes are two-dimensional machine-readable barcodes, which are increasingly used to facilitate mobile payments at the point-of-sale. QR codes can store a large amount of information.
- The decision to continue with the two existing Quick Response (QR) codes was based on the recommendations of the committee which was set up by the Reserve Bank under the chairmanship of Deepak Phatak to review the current system of such codes in India and suggest measures for moving towards interoperable QR codes.
Source: Economic Times
“ESI scheme extended to Arunachal Pradesh”.
- The Employees’ State Insurance (ESI) scheme has been extended to Arunachal Pradesh for the first time with effect from November 1, the Labour and Employment Ministry.
- A notification has been issued to cover the district of Papum Pare under the scheme.
- All employees with wages up to ₹21,000 a month and ₹25,000 for persons with disabilities will be eligible for the scheme that provides medical care, sickness, maternity and employment injury benefit.
- The Ministry added that medical care arrangements were being made through a new dispensary-cum-branch office at Itanagar.
Source: The Hindu
“Union Minister’s “Myth” Barb At China Amid Border Standoff In Ladakh”.
- The Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), in developments that took place in the last few months, has broken the myth of some countries that they have a powerful army, Union minister G Kishan Reddy said, in an indirect reference to the ongoing standoff between India and China in Ladakh.
- The minister of state for home was addressing the troops of the mountain warfare-trained border force on the occasion of its 59th raising day in Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- He did not take names but said while India believes in the philosophy of “vasudhaiva kutumbakam” or the world is one family, the culture of the country teaches it to worship both “shastra and astra” or sacred scriptures and weapons at the same time.
“China may not recognise British-issued Hong Kong passports”.
- China’s foreign ministry said it may decide not to recognise British-issued passports for Hong Kong residents in retaliation for London’s moves to open a path to citizenship for those holding the documents.
- Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said that Britain had “violated its promises” and “played up” the issue of the British National (Overseas) passports.
- Britain said in May that it would allow holders of such passports extended stays and the possibility of citizenship, prompting thousands of Hong Kongers to rush to renew or apply for them as Beijing steps up restriction on political expression.
- Hong Kong reverted from British to Chinese rule in 1997 and the sides have increasingly feuded over civil rights in the territory.
- Britain accuses China of failing to live up to its pledges to maintain freedoms in the special administrative region, while Beijing says London is interfering in its internal affairs.
Source: Indian Express
“BSE inks MoU with ICCI to support SMEs, start-ups in listing”.
- Stock exchange BSE on Saturday said it has signed an agreement with Inventivepreneur Chamber of Commerce and Industries (ICCI) to support small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and start-ups, and promote their listing on the exchange.
- Through this association, ICCI will offer assistance in evaluating SMEs and start-ups for listing on BSE SME board.
- Besides, it will also sensitise the investor network about listed SMEs and start-ups.
- ICCI will offer industry connections to respective BSE start-ups globally and support entrepreneurship nationwide through knowledge transmission on government announced programs, acceleration fund, international presence and global business relations.
- To make this a real success, ICCI will conduct various networking activities, awareness camps, interactive sessions and business events.
Source: Financial Express
“Uttarakhand CM launches Integrated Model Agricultural Village scheme”.
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister, Trivendra Singh Rawat has inaugurated Integrated Model Agricultural Village scheme (Ekikrit Adarsh Krishi Gram Yojana) in the state in partnership with NABARD.
- Putting emphasis on mechanised farming for boosting productivity, state Agriculture Minister Subodh Uniyal urged National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) Chairman G R Chintala to lend a helping hand to farmers to switch over to mechanised farming.
- Integrated Model Agricultural Village scheme is a concept which will prove to be a milestone in strengthening the economy of farmers and doubling their income.
- The limit for the interest-free loan given to farmers is being hiked to Rs 3 lakh from Rs 2 lakh. Farmers to focus on it with emphasis on mechanised and scientific farming to boost productivity.
“New Industry 4.0 solution developed by IIT Kharagpur and TCS jointly”.
- IIT Kharagpur and TCS have jointly developed a novel Industry 4.0 technology.
- The new innovation is aimed at stimulating innovations in advanced manufacturing in order to boost capital goods sector.
- The innovation was undertaken at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur’s centre of excellence with support from the Department of Heavy Industry, Government of India.
- The development of technology was also provided support by Tata Consultancy Services (TCS).
Source: GK Today
“Veteran Gujarati Film Musician, Former MP Mahesh Kanodia Dies At 83”.
- Famous Gujarati film musician, singer and former Parliamentarian Mahesh Kanodia died at his residence in Gandhinagar. He was 83.
- “The ace singer, who enthralled the audience through his performances together with his younger brother and Gujarati film superstar Naresh Kanodia, died due to a prolonged illness,” his nephew and BJP MLA Hitu Kanodia said.
- Mahesh Kanodia was a three-time BJP MP from Patan in north Gujarat.
- Mahesh Kanodia was born at Kanoda village of Mehsana district on January 27, 1937. As a singer, he took part in thousands of stage performances across the world from a very young age.
- He represented Patan Lok Sabha constituency as a Member of Parliament of the BJP thrice between 1991 and 1999.
- He was known to sing in the voice of famous singers, including women. Mahesh Kanodia had received several accolades and awards for his performance as a music composer and singer for Gujarati films including ”Jigar and Ami”, ”Tanariri”, ”Jog Sanjog” and ”Laju Lakhan”.