Daily GK Updates: 22th October 2020
“NK Singh launches his autobiography ‘Portraits Of Power’”.
- Veteran Economist and bureaucrat N K (Nand Kishore) Singh has released his autobiography titled “Portraits of Power: Half a Century of Being at Ringside”.
- The book portrays the life of NK Singh who played an active role in the development of the Indian economy.
- He is currently serving as the Chairman of the 15th Finance Commission. The book is published by Rupa Publications India.
- NK Singh was honoured by Japan with its highest national decoration “The order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star” in 2016 and He was the only Indian in the list of the 2016 recipients.
“India International Science Festival To Be Held From Dec 22-25 On Virtual Platform.”
- The sixth edition of the India International Science Festival (IISF), 2020, will be held virtually from December 22-25, Science and Technology Minister Harsh Vardhan has said.
- Besides promoting passion for science among young people and students by bringing science outside the laboratories, IISF 2020 must also reflect on the role of Indian scientists and science and Technology innovations for not just an ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’, but also for global welfare.
- The first and second edition of IISF were held in New Delhi, the third in Chennai, the fourth in Lucknow, and the fifth in Kolkata.
- IISF is an annual event organised jointly by science and technology-related ministries and departments of the government and Vijnana Bharati (Vibha), an RSS-affiliated scientific body.
Source: News 18
“ICMR validates efficacy of COVIRAP for detection of COVID-19.”
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has validated the efficacy of COVIRAP for the detection of COVID-19.
- The diagnostic technology has been developed by researchers at Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur.
- This COVID-19 diagnostic testing method has been designed to be fairly easy to conduct and affordable as well and can produce results within one hour.
- The new testing method implements a highly reliable and accurate molecular diagnostic procedure that can be conducted in an ultra-low-cost portable device unit developed by the IIT, Kharagpur research team.
- The test results are rendered via a custom-made mobile application for dissemination without requiring manual interpretation.
- The novel diagnostic platform, developed by IIT, Kharagpur researchers has been subjected to rigorous testing protocols as per ICMR guidelines, at ICMR-NICED, an Institute authorized by ICMR.
Source: News on Air
“Harsh Vardhan Launches Eco-friendly DME Fired ‘Aditi Urja Sanch’ Unit At CSIR-NCL In Pune.”
- Union Minister Harsh Vardhan, launched the DME fired ‘Aditi Urja Sanch’ unit along with the DME-LPG blended fuel cylinders and handed them over for the common public.
- The Union Minister also launched the CSIR-NCL (National Chemical Laboratory) canteen use on a trial basis at CSIR-NCL premises.
- Dimethyl ether (DME) is an ultra-clean fuel. CSIR-NCL has developed the nation’s first kind of DME pilot plant with 20-24Kg/day capacity.
- Some of the key features of the newly designed burner are; it is efficient for both DME and the blend of DME and LPG, flexible air ingress, the new nozzle design allows optimum oxygen ingress for combustion, among others.
- The newly designed stove can burn with up to 30 per cent DME blended with LPG or 100 per cent DME as fuel.
Source: Republic World
“Police Commemoration Day: 21st October”.
- National Police Commemoration Day is observed every year on October 21. The day remembers the sacrifices of ten policemen who died in Chinese firing in 1959.
- On October 21, 1959, Chinese troops opened fire and threw grenades at twenty Indian soldiers in Ladakh.
- More than a month later, on November 28, 1959, the Chinese troops handed over the dead bodies of the martyred policemen to India.
- Their cremation was held with full Police honours at the Hot springs in North Eastern Ladakh.
- Ever since the incident, October 21 has been observed as Police Commemoration Day in remembrance of the martyrs.
Source: India Today
“RPF launches ‘Meri Saheli’ initiative in Amaravathi Express between Vijayawada-Hubli.”
- As per the directives of Railway Board, the staff of Railway Protection Force in Vijayawada Division yesterday launched ‘Meri Saheli’ initiative in Train No.07225 Amaravathi Express between Vijayawada-Hubli.
- The main motto of this ‘Meri Saheli’ initiative is to provide a safe and secure environment to lady passengers travelling in trains throughout their journey.
- To carry out this novel initiative, an all-women team headed by one RPF lady Sub-Inspector and few Constables has been constituted at Vijayawada Railway Station to assist the women passengers on train.
- The women team inspected entire coaches of Amaravathi Express and briefed the women passengers on precautions to be taken during the journey and 182 Emergency helpline in case of any emergency, along with COVID-19 protocol and guidelines.
- This initiative was launched by RPF to continuously monitor the safety of lady passengers from the originating station to the destination.
Source: News on Air
“Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik launches ‘Mo Bidyut’ portal.”
- Odisha Chief Minister, Naveen Patnaik has launched the electricity consumer service portal “Mo Bidyut” and a mobile app through video conference.
- The bilingual online electricity integrated consumer service portal www.mobidyut.com developed by the Energy Department and dedicated to the public under 5T (Teamwork, Transparency, Technology, Time leading to Transformation) initiative of the state government.
- Through this people will now be able to avail efficient, time-bound, and transparent online service delivery.
“Extension of MIS for apple procurement in J&K approved”.
- The Union Cabinet today approved the extension of the Market Intervention Scheme (MIS) for apple procurement in J&K for the current season (2020-21) also on the same terms and condition as was done during the last season (2019-20).
- The procurement of apple will be done by the central procuring agency NAFED through state-designated agency Directorate of Planning and Marketing, Department of Horticulture, and Jammu and Kashmir Horticulture Processing and Marketing Corporation directly from apple farmers.
Source: Tribune India
“IFSCA prescribes regulatory framework for REITs, InvITs in IFSC.”
- The International Financial Services Centres Authority (IFSCA) on Wednesday prescribed the regulatory framework for Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) and Infrastructure Investment Trusts (InvITs) in IFSC.
- The REITs and InvITs registered in International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) have been permitted to invest in real estate assets and infrastructure projects respectively in IFSC, India and other foreign jurisdictions, which is in line with the framework provided in the global financial centres.
- REITs and InvITs that are already listed in any of the permissible jurisdictions other than IFSC (currently US, Japan, South Korea, UK excluding British Overseas Territories, France, Germany, Canada and India) or India have been permitted to list and trade on the recognised stock exchanges in IFSC, subject to compliance with their respective laws of home jurisdiction.
- The IFSCA was established on April 27 this year with head office in Gandhinagar with an objective to develop the financial products and services in the Gujarat International Finance Tec-City International Financial Services Centre (GIFT IFSC).
Source: Financial Express
“Indigenously-built stealth corvette INS Kavaratti commissioned into Navy.”
- Chief of Army Staff General M M Naravane commissioned the Anti-Submarine Warfare stealth corvette INS Kavaratti into the Indian Navy at the Naval Dockyard here.
- INS Kavaratti is the last of the four indigenously- built ASW stealth corvettes under Project 28 (Kamorta class) and has been designed by the Directorate of Naval Design, the Indian Navys in-house wing.
- INS Kavaratti has a state-of-the-art weapons and sensor suite capable of “detecting and prosecuting” submarines.
Source: Financial Express