Daily GK Updates: 1st November 2020
“World Vegan Day: 1st November 2020”.
- World Vegan Day is celebrated by vegans all around the world on November 1 every year. The day marks the founding day of The Vegan Society in the United Kingdom.
- World Vegan Day is celebrated to encourage people to follow a vegan lifestyle, which may benefit human health as it is for animal welfare and of course, the natural environment.
- A vegan is a person who does not consume or use products derived from animals. A vegan diet contains only plant-based foods. People adopt veganism to avoid exploitation of animals.
- World Vegan Day was introduced in 1994 by Louise Wallis, then Chair of The Vegan Society in the United Kingdom, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the founding of the organization and the coining of the terms “vegan” and “veganism”.
Source: Times Now
“PM Modi inaugurates seaplane services to Statue of Unity”.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the country’s first seaplane service between the Statue of Unity near Kevadiya in Gujarat’s Narmada district and Sabarmati Riverfront in Ahmedabad.
- He travelled in the maiden flight of the twin-engine plane from pond-3 close to Sardar Sarovar Dam and landed at Sabarmati riverfront where a water aerodrome has been set up.
- The 19-seater seaplane will be used for flights between the Sabarmati riverfront and Kevadia as a part of the regional connectivity scheme. Initially, the plane will make four trips a day.
Source: The Hindu
“India, Pak set to clash at global body meeting”.
- India and Pakistan face a mini diplomatic battle at the meeting of the Governing Council of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), the apex body of different parliaments.
- For, Pakistan is contesting to become the president of the IPU in the session. It faces contest from three other candidates from Portugal, Canada and Uzbekistan.
- According to officials, India is set to oppose Pakistan’s candidature and may back Portugal’s Duarte Pacheco or Akmal Saidov from Uzbekistan over Salma Ataullahjan from Canada and Muhammad Sanjrani from Pakistan.
- While India has slammed Pakistan for its unbridled support to terror outfits, Pakistan has unsuccessfully tried to raise the Kashmir issue several times.
Source: Hindustan Times
“NASA’s SOFIA detects and confirms water molecules on sunlit surface of moon”.
- The water molecules were detected in Clavius Crater, which is also one of the largest craters visible from the Earth, by SOFIA. The crater is located in Moon’s Southern Hemisphere.
- SOFIA- The Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy of NASA has detected water on the moon’s sunlit surface. This latest discovery indicates that water may be distributed across the moon’s surface and is not just limited to shadowed, cold places.
- According to the scientist from NASA, even though the moon lacks the bodies of liquid water that are on Earth, the lunar water is more widespread, where water molecules are within mineral grains on the surface. It can be expected that more water is hidden in ice patches that are in permanent shadows.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Madhya Pradesh: Unesco stripes for Panna Biosphere Reserve”.
- UNESCO has included Panna in its ‘World Network of Biosphere Reserves’- the third in Madhya Pradesh after Pachmarhi and Amarkantak.
- It remains to be seen if UNESCO recognition impacts the Kenbetwa river link project in any way.
- It was in August 2011 that Panna was notified a biosphere reserve by the Union Ministry of Environment and Forests.
Source: Times of India
“Microsoft, NSDC collaborate to empower 1 lakh women in India with digital skills”.
- Microsoft said it has collaborated with the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) to impart digital skills to more than one lakh underserved women in India over the next 10 months.
- As part of the collaboration, more than 70 hours of course content will be made available free of cost, covering topics such as digital literacy, enhancing employability, nano entrepreneurship, and communication skills.
- This initiative is an extension of Microsoft’s partnership with NSDC to provide digital skills to over 1 lakh youth in the country.
- The (latest) partnership is focused on enhancing women’s workforce participation by equipping underserved young women from rural communities with the skills required to thrive in a digital economy.
- The programme will curate a series of live training sessions and digital skilling drives to help create opportunities for young girls and women, particularly first time job seekers and those whose jobs may have been impacted by COVID-19, to join the future workforce.
Source: Economic Times
“Award-winning author and editor Daniel Menaker passes away”.
- Daniel Menaker,an award-winning author of fiction and nonfiction and a longtime editor at The New Yorker and Random House who worked with Alice Munro, Salman Rushdie, Colum McCann and many others, passed away.
- Daniel Menaker was the author of several books, including the memoir My Mistake and the comic psychological novel The Treatment, adapted into a 2007 movie starring Chris Eigeman and Ian Holm. He was also known for the O Henry Award-winning title story of his collection The Old Left.
“Om Puri awarded Lifetime Achievement Award posthumously at IIFFB 2020”.
- Late Indian actor,Om Puri was honoured with a Lifetime Achievement Award at the third edition of the India International Film Festival of Boston (IIFFB 2020). The award was received by his wife Nandita Puri.
- The three-day film festival, based in Boston USA. Another highlight of the festival was a conversation with chef Vikas Khanna, recipient of the “Pride of India Award”.
- Malayalam film “Kaanthi” bagged the Best Feature Film Award, while the Best Male Actor was won by Victor Banerjee for playing a priest in Josef: Born In Grace.
- The Best Female Actor went to Shylaja Ambufor Kaanthi at the Boston festival.
“New Indane LPG refill booking number”.
- Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) has launched a common phone number (7718955555) for its Indane LPG customers across the country to book refills.
- It would mean that even if the customers move their residence from one telecom circle to another across States their Indane refill booking number will remain the same.
- This common number for booking refills — through SMS and IVRS — is an important step to enhance customer convenience and improve ease of ordering the refills. It will be available round-the-clock, a release from the public sector oil company said.
- Consequently, the existing system of telecom circle-specific phone numbers for booking the refills will be discontinued on October 31 midnight and the common booking number for LPG refills will be in force.
Source: The Hindu
“Former Turkish PM and veteran politician Mesut Yilmaz passes away at 72”.
- Mesut Yilmaz, a former Turkish prime minister, and veteran politician who served as premier three times during a tumultuous political era in his country, died at age 72.
- Yilmaz led the now-defunct center-right Motherland Party or ANAP from 1991 to 2002 and served as prime minister three times in the 1990s.
- Two of those premierships lasted only months because of the fall of his coalition governments. He was a founding member of the party.
- Yimaz was the first prime minister to be tried in Turkey’s supreme court for the charge of “misfeasance in public office” for alleged attempts to influence a tender for private bank Turkbank.
Source: New Indian Express