Daily GK Updates: 18th April 2021
“World Heritage day is on 18th April.”
- The International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) established the day in 1982 and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) authorized it in 1983.
- Since then, it has been a day to have fun and promote cultural heritage, and a possibility to elevate consciousness about its diversity, its relevance, how susceptible it can be and what the wishes and benefits of its conservation are.
- It is an important expression of international unity in the face of the ongoing global health disaster (Covid-19 pandemic).
- International Council on Monuments and Sites is a worldwide non-governmental organization associated with UNESCO. The mission is to promote the conservation and protection, use and enhancement of monuments, building complexes and sites.
“Microsoft buys AI speech tech company Nuance for $19.7 billion.”
- Microsoft has made its second-biggest acquisition after LinkedIn. The tech giant has bought AI speech tech firm Nuance for $19.7 billion. The move will help Microsoft’s prowess in voice recognition and will give it a boost in the health care market.
- Nuance is known for its Dragon software which helps to transcribe speech using deep learning. In 2016, Microsoft had purchased LinkedIn for $26 billion.
- The acquisition will combine solutions and expertise to deliver new cloud and AI capabilities across healthcare and other industries, and represent the latest step in Microsoft’s industry-specific cloud strategy.
“India sign MoU with France for cooperation on Gaganyaan Mission.”
- Renowned radiologist, Dr Kakarla Subba Rao, who served as the first director of Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS), Hyderabad, has passed away.
- Rao was conferred Padma Shri in 2000, by the Government of India for his contributions to the field of medicine.
- He was the founder president of the Telugu Association of North America (TANA), an umbrella organisation for Telugu speaking people in the United States.
“Italy: First Food Park in India.”
- Italy recently launched the first “Mega Food Park” in India involving food processing facilities. It is the first Italian-Indian Food Park project launched in the country.
- The name of the project is “Mega Food Park”.
- The main aim of the project is to develop an interaction between agriculture and industry.
- Also, the project will focus on the research and development of efficient technologies in the sector.
- It is to be implemented by a Special Purpose Vehicle. The SPV is a registered corporate under the Companies Act.
“Suresh Raina’s memoir ‘Believe’ to release in 2021.”
- A book titled ‘Believe – What Life and Cricket Taught Me’, the much-awaited Suresh Raina autobiography is set to hit the bookstands in May 2021.
- The book is Co-authored by Raina and sports author Bharat Sundaresan, the biography will be published by the prestigious publishing house, Penguin India.
- The book expected to follow Raina’s lightning-fast rise in the Indian cricket team and the hardships that he encountered on the way to becoming a record-breaking batsman.
- The book should also help unwind the story of Raina’s early days as a budding cricketer in UP.
“Siddharth Singh Longjam appointed as Director General of NADA.”
- IAS officer Siddharth Singh Longjam has been appointed as the Director-General of the National Anti-Doping Agency.
- Siddharth Singh Longjam has been currently serving as the Joint Secretary in the Sports Ministry.
- He is also the Chief Executive Officer of the currently suspended National Dope
Source: Jagran Josh
“ROPAX Jetty Project on Dhamra River.”
- The assignment will reduce passenger travel time from six hours to one hour. The connecting factors of the jetty are located in the northern and southern banks of river Dhamra.
- The launch of the jetty carrier will increase business activities and commercial activities and also will uplift the monetary fame of the region.
- The Dhamra river is a joint circulation fashioned by way of the confluence of Baitarani and Brahmani rovers. It empties into the Bay of Bengal. It lies in the Bhadrak district of Odisha. The Dhamra port is located to the north of its mouth.
- The Gahirmatha sanctuary is located close to the mouth of Dhamra river. Also, the Bhitarkanika flora and fauna sanctuary lie on the Dhamra estuary.
- The Wheeler island is additionally located at the mouth of Dhamra. The Wheeler Island is a DRDO launch centre.
“100 new hospitals to have their own oxygen plants.”
- The Union Health Ministry informed on April 15, 2021 that 100 new hospitals will get their own oxygen plants under the Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations (PM-CARES) Fund.
- The decision was taken during a meeting of the Empowered Group 2 (EG2) to review the availability of essential medical equipment and oxygen amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Vinay Agrawal, CEO of Angel Broking passes away.”
- Vinay Agrawal, the Chief Executive Officer of Angel Broking, passed away on Saturday (April 17) at the age of 57. Agarwal was suffering from stomach cancer, reported CNBCTV18.
- “It is hereby informed that Mr Vinay Agrawal Whole-Time Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Company passed away today i.e., Saturday, April 17, 2021,” the stock broking firm informed in its exchange filing.
- The first CEO of Angel broking, Agrawal was a Chartered Account by profession holding the executive position since 2015. He had joined the stock broking fir in the year 2000 as a consultant.
Source: DNA India
“RBL Bank Partners Mastercard to launch “Pay by Bank App” .”
- Private sector lender RBL Bank and Mastercard on Thursday announced their partnership to launch a mobile based consumer-friendly payment solution – the Pay by Bank App, a first-of-its-kind payment functionality in India.
- RBL Bank account holders can now enjoy contactless transactions across the world through their mobile banking application both in-store and online.
- This functionality will be available at all Mastercard accepting merchants, worldwide that accept contactless and online payments.
Source: India Blooms