Daily GK Updates: 17th October 2020
“International Day for Eradication of Poverty 2020: 17th October”.
- International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is observed on October 17 every year to spread the message of peace and love and honour the victims of poverty, hunger, violence and fear.
- In 1992, the United Nations (UN) had dedicated October 17 as ‘International Day for the Eradication of Poverty’ in honour of Joseph Wresinski, the founder of International Movement ATD Fourth World.
- The theme for International Day for the Eradication of Poverty 2020 is “Acting together to achieve social and environmental justice for all”. According to UN, this addresses “the challenge of achieving social and environmental justice for all”.
Source: English Jagran
“Vishal V Sharma Appointed India’s Next Permanent Representative To UNESCO.”
- Vishal V. Sharma has been appointed as the next Permanent Representative of India to the Permanent Delegation of India to United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), with the rank of Ambassador.
- He will replace Jawed Ashraf. Sharma is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
“A bgmook titled ‘The Battle of Belonging’ authored by Shashi Tharoor.”
- Renowned Author and Politician, Shashi Tharoor is set to release his new book titled “The Battle of Belonging” is set to be released in November 2020.
- The book is published by Aleph Book Company.
- Shashi Tharoor described this book as his “magnum opus” on the Theory, evolution and practice of Nationalism across the globe and especially in India.
“Gujarat government to set up world’s biggest zinc smelter project.”
- Gujarat state government has announced to set up world’s biggest zinc smelter project in Dosawada in Tapi district of Gujarat.
- As per the official release, the state government signed the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Vedanta group firm Hindustan Zinc Limited (HZL) on the evening of October 14, 2020.
- HZL will be investing upto Rs. 10,000 crores for setting up 300-kilo tonnes per annum (ktpa) greenfield zinc smelter in the industrial region of South Gujarat.
- The MoU was signed by M K Das, Gujarat’s additional Chief Secretary for industries and mines and Arun Mishra, HZL Chief Executive Officer. The founder and non-executive chairman of Vedanta Limited, Anil Aggarwal also attended the meeting virtually.
- The 1st phase of the proposed zinc smelter project will be operation in 36 months.
Source: Jagran Josh
“My Town My Pride’ on B2V pattern: J&K L-G.”
- Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Thursday announced that the government was coming up with a movement called ‘My Town My Pride’ from October 19 to provide governance at the doorstep in urban areas on the pattern of the ‘Back2Village (B2V)’ programme.
- “We have three main objectives — public outreach in towns, strengthening grassroots democracy and service delivery at doorsteps. I have been pushing for on-the-spot grievance redress, instant delivery of services to the masses, and on-the-ground speedy execution of people-centric projects,” Sinha told reporters.
Source: Tribune India
“India ranks 94 in Global Hunger Index.”
- India ranked 94 among 107 nations in the Global Hunger Index (GHI) 2020 and is in the serious hunger category with experts blaming poor implementation processes and lack of effective monitoring in tackling malnutrition and poor performance by large states behind the low ranking.
- According to the report, 14% of India’s population is undernourished. It also showed the country recorded a 37.4% stunting rate among children under five and a wasting rate of 17.3%. The under-five mortality rate stood at 3.7%.
- The Global Hunger Index is a tool for comprehensively measuring and tracking hunger at global, regional, and national levels.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Union Bank of India’s CEO Rajkiran Rai appointed as IBA chairman.”
- Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) on Friday said Union Bank of India’s MD and CEO Rajkiran Rai G has been elected as the association’s chairman for the term 2020-21.
- “The managing committee of IBA at its meeting held on October 16, 2020 elected Rajkiran Rai G, Managing Director and CEO, Union Bank of India as the chairman, IBA for the term 2020-21,” a release said.
- State Bank of India’s chairman Dinesh Kumar Khara has been elected as the deputy chairman of the association.
- IBA is an association of banks, financial institutions and others that deals with resolving generic and industry level issues of its members.
Source: Business Today
“IWF appoints Michael Irani as interim president.”
- The International Weightlifting Federation announced the appointment of Michael Irani as its interim president.
- Irani is chair of the IWF Medical Committee and a former chair of the IWF Anti-Doping Commission. He has extensive experience of the fight against doping and in safeguarding athlete welfare, IWF said on its website.
Source: India TV
“Asan Conservation Reserve becomes Uttarakhand’s first Ramsar site.”
- Asan Conservation Reserve has become Uttarakhand’s first Ramsar site, making it a ‘Wetland of International Importance’, announced the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
- The Reserve is located on the banks of Yamuna river near Dehradun district in Garhwal region of the Himalayan state.
- “Asan Conservation Reserve cleared five out of the nine criteria needed to be declared as a Ramsar site and get identified as a Wetland of International Importance,” said Pandey.
- It cleared the category on species and ecological communities, one on water-birds and another on fish.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Odisha to sponsor national rugby teams till 2023.”
- Odisha Government announced that it would sponsor the Indian national rugby team for the next three years and facilitate high performance training and conditioning of the players.
- An agreement with Indian Rugby Football Union (IRFU) was inked here at Kalinga Stadium.
- Sports Director R Vineel Krishna and president of IRFU Maneck Unwala signed the agreement in presence of Sports and Youth Services Minister Tusharkanti Behera, Secretary Vishal Dev, CEO IRFU Naseer Hussain and former rugby player Rahul Bose.
- The partnership is part of the State Government’s mission to develop, promote and expand the sports ecosystem beyond hockey and football.
- The sponsorship will cover training, conditioning and incentivising the Indian national rugby teams (men and women) participating in international rugby events.
Source: Indian Express