Daily GK Updates: 16th October 2020
“World Food Day 2020: 16th October.”
- World Food Day 2020 is observed on October 16 every year to tackle global hunger and strive to eradicate hunger across the world.
- There are people all over the world who are suffering from hunger. Starvation is a massive problem in several countries, and we need to do more to raise awareness and combat this problem.
- World Food Day is celebrated every year with different themes to focus on areas that require action and offer a common objective. This year the World Food Day 2020 theme is “Grow, nourish, sustain. Together. Our actions are our future”.
- Several different events take place on World Food Day. However, this year due to the ongoing pandemic celebration will be different. One of the best ways to celebrate the day is by giving food to people who need it the most.
Source: India Today
“Bhanu Athaiya, India’s first Oscar-winning costume designer, passes away at the age of 91.”
- Bhanu Athaiya, costume designer and India’s first Oscar winner passed away on the morning of October 15, 2020. She was 91.
- The renowned designer, who won an Academy Award for best costume design for the 1983 classic movie ‘Gandhi’, passed away peacefully in her sleep after a prolonged illness.
- In a career of more than 5 decades, Athaiya gave some of Bollywood’s best-remembered looks which include Waheeda Rehman in ‘Guide’, Vijayantimala in ‘Aamrapaali’ and Zeenat Aman in ‘Satyam Shivam Sundaram’.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Nitin Gadkari launches blasting process for Zojila tunnel construction work.”
- Union Minister Nitin Gadkari on Thursday launched the first blasting for construction related work at the 14.15 km Zojila tunnel, one of the longest in Asia, that will provide all-year connectivity between Srinagar valley and Leh.
- The project holds strategic significance as Zojila Pass is situated at an altitude of 11,578 feet on the Srinagar-Kargil-Leh National Highway and remains closed during winters due to heavy snowfall.
- At present it is one of the most dangerous stretches in the world to drive a vehicle and this project is also geo-strategically sensitive.
- Initiating the blast in a virtual ceremony, Road Transport, Highways and MSMEs Minister Gadkari termed it a “moment of pride” for India.
Source: The Hindu
“’KAPILA’ Kalam Program launched for Intellectual Property Literacy and Awareness campaign.”
- Citing the occasion on 89th birth anniversary of former President and Scientist Late Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam yesterday, the Ministry of education virtually launched the ‘KAPILA’ Kalam Program for Intellectual Property Literacy and Awareness campaign.
- “It is necessary not only to invent for the self-sufficiency of the country, but also to patent the inventions. Patent of inventions will lead India towards Self-Reliance”, Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ said.
- India has to again lead the world as Vishwaguru in the field of patents, “On ‘National Innovation Day’, this important initiative has been taken towards making India self-reliant”, he added.
- Under this campaign, students pursuing education in higher educational institutions will get information about the correct system of application process for patenting their invention and they will be aware of their rights.
“Kyrgyzstan’s president Jeenbekov steps down amid political unrest.”
- Kyrgyzstan President Sooronbai Jeenbekov announced his resignation in a bid to end the turmoil that has engulfed the Central Asian nation after a disputed parliamentary election.
- Jeenbekov, who has faced calls to step down from protesters and political opponents, said that holding onto power wasn’t “worth the integrity of our country and harmony in society.”
- “For me, peace in Kyrgyzstan, the unity of our people and the calm in the society are above all else,” Jeenbekov said.
Source: Business Standard
“SCALE India App launched by Leather Sector Skill Council.”
- SCALE India, an android appaimed to integrate quality assurance under Skill India Mission was launched by Leather Sector Skill Council (leatherssc.org) , a non-profit organization (NGO).
- The android app was launched by Mahendra Nath Pandey, Union Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship at a virtual event that witnessed participation of PR Aqeel Ahmed, Chairman, LSSC and Rajesh Rathnam, CEO, LSSC.
- The LSSC is dedicated to meet the demand for skilled workforce in the leather industry in India. LSSC was set up in 2012 as one of the key sector skill councils approved by the National Skill Development Corporation.
- The launch of SCALE India platform by LSSC will boost our efforts to strengthen the leather skilling ecosystem. By leveraging technology to bring in efficient and intelligent tools to drive demand-driven and future-relevant skilling programs, this platform will ensure seamless convergence and coordination across various schemes and programmes as a single point interface. It will play a crucial role in providing quality assured services to all stakeholders by aggregating demand and connecting supply to demand, all through one platform.
Source: Economic Times
“Cabinet announces special package of Rs. 520 cr for J&K, Ladakh.”
- The Union Cabinet has approved a special package worth Rs. 520 crore for Union Territories of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh for a period of five years till 2023-24.
- This was done under the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission.
- Briefing media after the Cabinet Meeting, Information & Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar said, this will ensure sufficient funds under the mission, as per need to the Union Territories.
- He said, it is also in line with Central Government’s aim to universalize all centrally sponsored beneficiary-oriented schemes in Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh in a time bound manner.
- Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission is a centrally sponsored programme that aims at eliminating rural poverty through promotion of multiple livelihoods for the rural poor households across the country.
Source: DD News
“India designated Vice-Chair of OECD Working Group on GLP.”
- India has been designated the ‘Vice-Chair’ of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) Working Group of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), recognising the contribution of the Indian GLP programme.
- Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) is a quality system, which has been evolved by Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) to ensure that safety data generated on various chemicals like industrial chemicals, pharmaceuticals (Human and Veterinary), agrochemicals, cosmetic products, food/ feed additives, and medical devices, etc., can be relied upon by regulatory authorities.
- The Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India, established the National GLP Compliance Monitoring Authority (NGCMA) with the approval of the Union Cabinet on April 24, 2002.
- NGCMA is the National body which grants GLP certification to test facilities (TFs) conducting safety studies on new chemicals of the above-mentioned categories in accordance with OECD Principles of GLP and OECD Council norms. The Grant of the first GLP certificate by NGCMA in 2004 was a milestone.
Source: DD News
“UP CM orders every police station to have women help-desks.”
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath ordered the setting up of women help desks at all police stations in the state. The chief minister gave the instruction in a meeting with senior government officials and asked them to prioritise and ensure the women’s security in the state, an official release said.
- Referring to the Mission Shakti to be launched for the women’s safety and security on October 17, the first day of the Navratri, the chief ministry dedicated the upcoming Navratri days to women’s and empowerment, it added.
- The chief minister said the Mission Shakti would be a special campaign in which the cooperation of all the departments including the police was expected.
- Stressing that his government was committed to the security and honour of women and girls, Adityanath also called for making women aware of self-defence techniques.
- He also directed all district magistrates in the state to ensure effective monitoring of the campaign, the release added.
Source: Economic Times
“Centre notifies DG Shipping as the National Authority for Ship Recycling.”
- The Centre on Thursday notified the directorate general of shipping as the National authority for recycling of ships, as it moves closer to aligning India with an international convention for safe recycling of ships.
- As an apex body, DG Shipping is authorized to administer, supervise and monitor all activities relating to ship recycling in the country.
- The notification was issued under the section 3 of the Recycling of Ships Act, 2019
- It will also be the final authority for the various approvals required by the ship-recycling yard owners and state governments.
Source: Economic Times