Daily GK Updates: 14th October 2020
“World Standards Day 2020: 14th October.”
- It is celebrated on 14 October every year across the world to pay tribute to the collaborative efforts of the thousands of experts across the world who develop the voluntary technical agreements that are published as International Standards.
- World Standards Day also celebrates the contributions of experts and scientists across the planet in developing voluntary standards within standards development organization including the International Organization for Standards (ISO), International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), International Telecommunication Union (ITU), Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), and Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
- The day raises awareness about the importance of standardization to the global economy among the consumers, regulators, and industry. It was first observed in 1970.
- The theme of World Standards Day 2020 is “Protecting the planet with standards.”
Source: Jagran Josh
“Kerala Becomes First Indian State To Achieve Total Digital Education, Announces CM Vijayan.”
- In a significant development, Kerala has become the first state of India to have introduced high-tech classrooms in all its government-run schools.
- Earlier in the day, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan declared the state public education sector completely digital.
- The high-tech classroom project was implemented by Kerala Infrastructure and Technology for Education (KITE) with financial assistance from Kerala Infrastructure and Technology for Education (KIIFB).
- The Hi-Tech school programme is aimed at upgrading all classrooms to international standards.
- KITE has implemented the Hi-Tech school programme by which 45,000 classrooms in 4,752 schools have been made Hi-Tech. The project was funded by KIIFB, (Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board).
Source: Republic World
“India’s economy to contract by 10.3%, says International Monetary Fund.”
- With the country and world reeling under the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, the Indian economy is expected to grow at -10.3 % ( i.e., a contraction) in 2020 as per the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Global growth is projected to be -4.4%( i.e., a contraction in output of 4.4%) for this year , the IMF said with the release of its World Economic Outlook October 2020 report titled, “A Long and Difficult Ascent”.
- The 2020 projection for India is a downgrade of -5.8 percentage points from the IMF’s June projection for the country. India is expected to rebound in 2021 with 8.8 percent growth – an upgrade of 2.8 percentage points relative to the June update.
Source: The Hindu
“Tech for Tribals’ Initiative Launched by TRIFED, IIT Kanpur and Chhattisgarh MFP Federation.”
- “Tech For Tribals” initiative was e-launched by TRIFED, Ministry of Tribal Affairs in association with Chhattisgarh MFP Federation and IIT Kanpur.
- TRIFED commenced the ‘Tech for Tribals’ programme in collaboration with Ministry of Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) under the ESDP.
- The initiative is aimed at the holistic development of tribals.
- It focuses on entrepreneurship development, soft skills, IT, and business development.
- It will operate through Self Help Groups (SHGs) operating under the Van Dhan Vikas Kendras (VDVKs).
- The primary objective of the programme is to tap the traditional knowledge and skills of tribals.
Source: GK Today
“Exercise Suraksha Kavach- Joint Anti Terrorist Exercise By Army and Police.”
- Agnibaaz Division organized a joint exercise for both Indian Army and Maharashtra Police at Lullanagar Pune recently (09 Oct 2020).
- The aim of the exercise was to harmonize the drills and procedures of both Army and Police for activating anti-terrorist Quick Reaction Teams (QRTs) to counter any terrorist actions in Pune.
- The exercise involved participation of Quick Reaction Teams, Dog Squads and Bomb Disposal Teams of Army as well as Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and Quick Reaction Team of Maharashtra Police.
- A simulated exercise scenario was built up regarding the presence of terrorist in family accommodations at Lullanagar, based on which Quick Reaction Teams of Army initially established the outer cordon.
Source: DD News
“Ayush ministry launches raw drug repository for medicinal plant cultivation.”
- Ayush (Ayurveda Yoga and Naturopathy Unani Sidda Homoeopathy) minister Shripad Yesso Naik has inaugurated the Regional Raw Drug Repository (RRDR) for Ayush systems of medicine at the National Institute of Siddha in Tamil Nadu.
- According to ministry officials, the repository will play an important role in medicinal plant cultivation.
- As a step in this direction, the ministry of Ayush, through the National Medicinal Plants Board, initiated the establishment of the National Raw Drug Repository and Regional Raw Drug repositories.
- NMPB has identified National Institute of Siddha as the lead Institute with the Regional Research Institute of Unani Medicine, Chennai, and the Siddha Central Research Institute, Chennai, as collaborating institutes.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Nightingale of Gujarat’ passes away.”
- Kaumudi Munshi, known as the “Nightingale of Gujarat”, passed away at Somaiya Hospital in Sion due to Covid-19.
- When Kaumudi Munshi moved to Mumbai in 1951, she came with the dream of becoming a singer on radio, which seemed like a respectable choice for women in those days.
- In the big city, she met a family friend, Ninu Mazumdar, a composer and lyricist associated with Mumbai’s film industry and the All India Radio (AIR). They met in 1952 and the rest, as they say, was history. Munshi went on to become one of the most beloved voices in India, gracing homes and concerts alike with her sugam sangeet.
Source: Indian Express
“EPFO launches Whatsapp Helpline Service.”
- Retirement fund body EPFO has launched a WhatsApp helpline service for speedy redressal of grievances of its subscribes, the labour ministry
- This facility is in addition to various other means of grievance redressal forums of EPFO which include EPFiGMS portal, CPGRAMS, social media platforms (Facebook & Twitter) and a dedicated 24×7 call centre.
- “To further enhance ease of living experience for its members, Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has now launched a WhatsApp based helpline-cum-grievance redressal mechanism, under its series of Nirbadh initiatives aimed at ensuring seamless and un-interrupted service delivery to subscribers during COVID-19 pandemic,” the ministry said in a statement.
- With WhatsApp emerging as a huge platform for communication in India, EPFO has grabbed the extraordinary opportunity that the app provides to reach and communicate directly with all its stakeholders.
- This initiative will allow PF subscribers to interact directly with EPFO’s regional offices on a personalised level adhering to one-to-one guidance principle.
- WhatsApp helpline is now functional in all the 138 regional offices of EPFO.
Source: Economic Times
“IMD to launch Impact-based Cyclone Warning System.”
- The Director General of the Indian Meteorological Department Mrutunjay Mohapatra recently announced that the IMD is to launch “Impact based Cyclonic Warning Systems”.
- The system will help minimise economic losses and damages due to property in the intense weather system.
- The New System was designed and developed by the National Disaster Management Authority. It has also been developing web-based dynamic composite risk atlas in collaboration with IMD and coastal states.
- The following hazards are monitored by the Indian Meteorological Organization
- Hydro Meteorological Hazards: tropical cyclones, support for floods, drought, snow avalanches and climate change impacts on weather events
- Environmental Impacts: Air pollution, coastal zone management, eco-system monitoring and coastal erosion
- Geological Hazards: Earthquakes and Tsunamis. The monitoring of these hazards is done by the NCS and INCOIS. IMD provides support for rain induced mudslides and landslides.
Source: GK Today
“Axis Bank launches ACE Credit Card, in collaboration with Google Pay & Visa.”
- With growing digitization for the past few years, accelerated by the pandemic, Axis Bank, in collaboration with Google Pay and Visa, today launched the ACE Credit Card with the aim of increasing participation of users in the digital economy.
- Keeping in mind the comfort of digital first consumers, this initiative is aimed at providing simple, secure and intuitive payment experiences.
- The cashbackwill directly go into the ACE Credit Card accounts of users. This tokenization feature has been enabled in partnership with Visa.
- It will allow payments on Google Pay through a secure digital token attached to the users’ phones, without having to physically share their card details.
Source: Economic Times