Daily GK Updates: 12th October 2020
“World Arthritis Day 2020: 12 October.”
- World Arthritis Day is observed on October 12, every year since 1996. World Arthritis Day is observed to raise awareness about Arthritis around the world.
- The theme of the World Arthritis Day 2020 is “Time2Work”.
- The day is celebrated to raise awareness about arthritis, an inflammatory condition that causes pain and stiffness in joints that can worsen with age.
- World Arthritis Day is a special day that unifies people of all ages, races, and genders to raise awareness of rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases (RMDs).
Source: India Today
“Eight Indian beaches awarded ‘Blue Flag’ certification.”
- Eight beaches in India, across five states and two union territories, have been awarded the prestigious ‘Blue Flag’ certification, announced Union Minister of Environment, Forests and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar.
- These beaches include Shivrajpur (Dwarka-Gujarat), Ghoghla (Diu), Kasarkod and Padubidri (Karnataka), Kappad (Kerala), Rushikonda (AP), Golden (Puri-Odisha) and Radhanagar (A&N Islands).
- This is one of the world’s most recognised voluntary awards for beaches, marinas, and sustainable boating tourism operators. “In order to qualify for the Blue Flag, a series of stringent environmental, educational, safety, and accessibility criteria (about 33 of them) must be met and maintained,” mentions the official website.
- The certification was awarded to India by an international jury comprising the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), UN World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), and Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE).
Source: Indian Express
“Andhra Pradesh CM launches Jaganna Vidya Kanuka scheme for Govt. School students.”
- Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Jagan Mohan Reddy launched Jaganna Vidya Kanuka scheme for the students studying in government schools.
- The scheme would help in improving Government schools’ quality and enrolments.
- The scheme would aid in providing 42,34,222 kits to Government school students who are enrolled in class 1 to 10 standards. These kits would be distributed across the state at a cost of INR 650 crore and consist of three pairs of uniforms, one pair of shoes, two pairs of socks, prescribed textbooks, notebooks, a belt, and a school bag.
Source: Times No
“India’s Nihal Sarin wins Junior Speed Chess Championship.”
- Young Indian player Nihal Sarin emerged winner in the Chess.com’s 2020 Junior Speed Online Chess Championship, beating Russia’s world junior No. 6 Alexey Sarana 18-7 in the final.
- The title win earned the 16-year old Sarin $ 8,766 and enabled him to qualify for the 2020 Speed Chess Championship Final which will feature the world’s best players.
- Sarin had beaten American Andrew Tang, Australia’s Anton Smirnov and Armenian Haik Martirosyan an route the title.
Source: Indian Express
“18-year-old Chaitanya spends a day in the shoes of UK’s senior-most diplomat.”
- Chaitanya Venkateswaran sure had a hectic and bustling day, when she got the unique opportunity to act as the British High Commissioner, which is the post of the UK’s senior-most diplomat, for a day from New Delhi.
- The 18-year-old girl from New Delhi had the unique opportunity to spend last Wednesday as the UK’s senior-most diplomat in India under the mission’s initiative aimed at empowering and highlighting the challenges faced by women across the world.
- The competition is conducted every year on the occasion of the International Day of the Girl Child, which is celebrated on October 11 and Chaitanya Venkateswaran became the fourth woman to win this competition.
Source: India Today
“PM Narendra Modi releases Rs100 coin on birth centenary of Rajmata Vijaya Raje Scindia.”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday released a commemorative coin of Rs 100 denomination to celebrate the birth centenary of Rajmata Vijaya Raje Scindia.
- The Prime Minister said he is fortunate to have got the opportunity to release a special commemorative coin of 100 rupees in honour of Rajmata Vijaya Raje Scindia.
- Referring to Vijayarajeji’s book, the Prime Minister said in the book, he was introduced as a youth leader of Gujarat and today after so many years, he is serving as the Pradhan Sevak of the country.
Source: Zee News
“Two-day coastal security exercise ‘Sagar Kavach’ concludes.”
- A two-day Coastal Security Exercise- ‘Sagar Kavach’- to assess the preparedness of all agencies towards dealing with an asymmetric threat emanating from the sea.
- The exercise conducted along the coastal areas of Kerala, Karnataka and Lakshadweep assumes significance in the backdrop of prevailing security situation in the country, a Defence statement said.
- During the exercise, the participants were divided in two teams, Red (attack) and Blue (defence), with the Red Force simulating as terrorists attempting to infiltrate coastal areas of the state for attacks on vital assets as well as vital points and Blue Force carrying out coastal security surveillance to intercept and neutralize the attempts.
- The exercise was monitored from Joint Operations Centre, Kochi.
- Sagar Kavach is a half-yearly exercise with an objective to check Coastal Security mechanism and validate Standard Operating Procedures.
“Tennis Rankings: Iga Swiatek Moves Up 37 Places after french open win, Rafael Nadal Remains World No.2.”
- Poland’s Iga Swiatek has shot up 37 places to 17th in WTA rankings released Monday, following her stunning French Open win over the weekend. The 19-year-old Pole ensured her place in history when she became her country’s first major singles champion.
- Rafael Nadal remains 1,890 points behind Novak Djokovici n ATP rankings released Monday despite having beaten him for a 13th French Open title at the weekend.
Source: News 18
“Nobel Prize 2020 in Economic Sciences jointly awarded to Paul R. Milgrom and Robert B. Wilson.”
- The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Science in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2020 has been awarded to Paul R. Milgrom and Robert B. Wilson for improvements to auction theory and inventions of new auction formats.
- The award was announced by Professor Göran K. Hansson, Secretary-General of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, on 12 October 2020.
- Auctions distribute astronomical values between buyers and sellers. This year’s Laureates discovery will benefit the sellers, buyers and taxpayers around the world.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Former India football captain Carlton Chapman passes away.”
- Former Indian footballer Carlton Chapman passed away at the age of 49 on Monday morning reportedly due to a heart attack. The former footballer was hospitalied with an acute back pain on Sunday night in Bengaluru.
- Featuring alongside other greats like I M Vijayan, Jo Paul and Raman Vijayan at FC Kochi in 1997-98 season, Chapman went on to win the 1997 South Asian Football Federation Gold Cup.
- A product of the Tata Football Academy (TFA), Chapman joined East Bengal in 1993. He is remembered for scoring a hat trick for the Kolkata club against Al Zawra of Iraq in Asian Cup Winners Cup.
- Chapman had his most successful stint with JCT after joining the Punjab-based side in 1995. He won 14 titles, including the first edition of National Football League along with I M Vijayan and Bhaichung Bhutia.
Source: Indian Express