Daily GK Updates: 11th October 2020
- International Day of the Girl Child is a United Nations designated day, observed every year on October 11.
- This year the theme of International Day of the Girl Child is “My voice, our equal future”. The theme focuses on inclusion, gender quality and listening to what girls want, their dreams and aspirations.
- This year, Day of the Girl Child is also significant as the ‘Generation Equality’ campaign has been launched.
“CWG medallist Chetan Anand named brand ambassador of India’s homegrown brand ‘Transform.”
- Commonwealth Games medallist shuttler Chetan Anand was named the brand ambassador of India’s first-ever badminton brand ‘Transform’ which was launched virtually.
- Anand, a former world no.10 and the men’s singles bronze medal winner at the 2006 Melbourne CWG, was roped in as the face of the homegrown equipment brand along with his academy in Hyderabad.
- The initiative is promoted by VICKY Sports — one of India’s top three sports brands — which specializes in sports good manufacturing since 1978.
Source: Indian Express
“Amazon India ties up with IRCTC to start online train ticket bookings”.
- Amazon India has partnered with ‘Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation’ (IRCTC), to provide its customers with the facility to book reserved train tickets on Amazon.
- With this launch, the e-commerce company’s digital payments arm Amazon Pay adds another travel category, thereby offering its customers a one-stop-shop for booking flights, bus and train tickets.
“Meghalaya partners with Israel to set up centre of excellence”.
- The Meghalaya government has decided to partner with Israel for establishing a Centre of Excellence (CoE) on high-value vegetables in the states in order to improve and promote livelihood of farmers.
- The CoE is vital to tap the diverse bio-diversity and resources available in the states in terms of its soil and agro-climatic conditions.
Source: Times of India
“Uttarakhand CM Trivendra Singh Rawat launches Saur Swarojgar Yojana to generate self-employment for youth, migrants”.
- Uttarakhand CM Trivendra Singh Rawat launched Mukhya Mantri Saur Swarojgar Yojana.
- The Yojana aims at creating self-employment for nearly 10,000 youths in the state.
- The beneficiaries will be allocated solar plants of 25 kilowatts each. 10,000 people will get self-employment under this scheme.
Source: Zee News
“RBI makes TLTROs on-tap, extends fund use to loans”.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Friday expanded on its liquidity measures to make the targeted long term repo operations (TLTRO) available on tap and extend the use of money raised under this window to loans given by banks.
- Industry executives and analysts said while the expanded scheme is meant to enable smaller firms to access funds, details on eligibility will be key.
- The new format is also aimed at leaving banks with few excuses to not lend aggressively, NBFC chiefs said.
Source: Financial Express
“Lewis Hamilton wins 2020 Eifel Grand Prix”.
- Lewis Hamilton(Mercedes-Great Britain) has won the 2020 Eifel Grand Prix, held at the Nürburgring in Nürburg, Germany.
- This is Hamilton’s 7th win of the season and 91st career race victory, which was till now achieved only by Michael Schumacher.
- Max Verstappen(Red Bull – Netherlands) came second followed by Daniel Ricciardo (Renault, Australia) at third position. The race was the eleventh race in 2020 Formula One World Championship and the first running in the history of the Eifel Grand Prix.
“King of Jordan names his policy adviser country’s new PM”.
- The king said he appointed Bishr al-Khasawneh the country’s new prime minister and instructed him to form a government that meets the aspirations of the Jordanian people.
- Jordan’s King Abdullah II on Wednesday designated his chief policy adviser to form a new government amid criticism of the previous government’s handling of the virus pandemic.
- In a statement published by the Royal Court, the king said he appointed Bishr al-Khasawneh the country’s new prime minister and instructed him to form a government that meets the aspirations of the Jordanian people.
Source: The Hindu
“RBI to rationalise risk weightage on housing loans to push demand”.
- In order to promote the housing sector, the Reserve Bank of India on Friday decided to rationalise risk weightage on housing loans, making the product attractive for both borrower and lenders.
- With revision in the risk weightage, the requirement of capital provision for banks will come down. This will encourage banks to push housing loan products with attractive features.
- Such loans shall attract a risk weight of 35% where LTV is less than or equal to 80%, and a risk weight of 50% where LTV is more than 80% but less than or equal to 90%.
Source: The Hindu
“Justice KK Usha: First Malayali woman chief justice of Kerala High Court”.
- Justice KK Usha was the first woman to join the High Court judiciary from the bar and to become the Chief Justice of Kerala High Court.
- She began her distinguished career when she enrolled as an advocate in 1961.
- Justice Usha was appointed government pleader in Kerala HC in 1979. She served as a judge from 1991 to 2000.
- And when she was appointed Chief Justice of the Kerala HC in 2000, Justice Usha became the first woman to be elevated to the HC from the Bar and become a Chief Justice.
Source: Indian Express