Daily GK Updates: 10th October 2020
“October 10: World Migratory Bird Day.”
- The World Migratory Bird Day is celebrated twice a year, that is, on second Saturdays of May and October. Earlier in May, the day was celebrated on May 9, 2020.
- Both the days are celebrated under the same theme. This year, the day is celebrated under the theme “Theme: Birds Connect Our World”.
- The World Migratory Day is an awareness raising campaign that highlights the protection and conservation required for migratory birds. It was begun in 2018.
- The campaign is organised by two international wildlife treaties administered by the United Nations Environment Programme.
Source: GK Today
“World Food Programme awarded 2020 Nobel Peace Prize for ‘combating hunger.”
- The World Food Programme was awarded the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize by the Nobel Prize Committee.
- The WFP was awarded the prize “for its effort to combat hunger, for its contribution to bettering conditions for peace in conflict-affected areas and for acting as a driving force in efforts to prevent the use of hunger as a weapon of war and conflict.”
- The World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian organisation addressing hunger and promoting food security.
Source: Times of India
“Prime Minister Modi to launch property cards in 6 states under ‘SVAMITVA’ Scheme on October 11.”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will virtually launch the physical distribution of property cards under the ‘SVAMITVA’ scheme on October 11, 2020.
- The beneficiaries of the ‘SVAMITVA’ scheme will be from 763 villages across 6 states which includes 221 from Haryana, 346 from Uttar Pradesh, 44 from Madhya Pradesh, 100 from Maharashtra, 2 from Karnataka, and 50 from Uttarakhand.
- The SVAMITVA scheme is a central sector scheme of the Panchayati Raj Ministry. It was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on National Panchayati Raj Day, April 24, 2020.
- SVAMITVA Scheme by the government aims at providing the ‘records of the rights’ to the household owners in villages in the rural areas and issue property cards.
- The scheme is being implemented by the government across the country in a phased manner over a period of 4 years (2020-2024). It will eventually cover around 6.62 lakh villages of the country.
Source: Jagran Josh
“Forbes India Rich List 2020: Mukesh Ambani ranked as the richest once again”.
- Reliance Industries Limited(RIL) Chairman Mukesh Ambani has been ranked as the richest person in India for the 13th consecutive year by Forbes Magazine.
- Ambani’s current net wealth stands at $88.7 billion. This comes on the back of investments in Reliance Group companies such as Jio Platforms and Reliance Retail by world’s top technology companies such as Facebook, Google and marquee investors such as KKR, Silver Lake, Mubadala among others.
- Overall the rich in India got richer as the top 100 richest named in the list, increased by about 14% or $517.5 billion compared with what it was in 2019 as per Forbes Magazine.
Source: Money Control
“Piyush Goyal gets additional charge of Ministry of Consumer Affairs held by Ram Vilas Paswan.”
- Union Minister Piyush Goyal has got additional charge of Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution following the demise of LJP leader Ram Vilas Paswan. With this, Piyush Goyal will now be in-charge of three key ministries – Railways, Commerce and Industry, and Consumer Affairs.
- Goyal was given the charge of Consumers Affairs Minister a day after Ram Vilas Paswan, one of the most prominent Dalit leaders, passed away at the age of 74.
- Born in Khagaria in 1946, Ram Vilas Paswan became an MLA for the first time in 1969 on a Samyukta Socialist Party ticket.
- He was elected to Lok Sabha 8 times and also held the record of winning his constituency Hajipur with the highest margin for several years. He was a minister in the central governments headed by different parties since 1989.
- Paswan also served as a minister under six prime ministers — V P Singh, H D Deve Gowda, I K Gujaral, Atal Bihar Vajpayee, Manmohan Singh and now Narendra Modi .
Source: Financial Express
“DRDO Successfully Flight Tests Anti-radiation Missile RUDRAM To Eliminate Enemy Radars.”
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) added another feather on its cap Friday after successful flight test of an advanced anti-radiation missile.
- The indigenously developed New generation Anti Radiation Missile or RUDRAM was launched from a SU-30 Mk1 fighter aircraft onto a radiation target located on Wheeler Island off the coast of Odisha.
- A first of its kind missile developed domestically, RUDRAM is integrated on SU-30 Mk1 fighter aircraft as the launch platform, having the capability of varying ranges based on launch conditions.
- The tactical, air-to-surface missile is a force multiplier for the Indian Air Force and has INS-GPS navigation with Passive Homing Head for the final attack. The RUDRAM hit the radiation target with pin-point accuracy, the government said.
- As per reports, RUDRAM has a launch speecd of up to 2 Mach, twice the speed of sound, and can be launched from a height ranging from 500 metres to 15 km and can hit radiation-emitting targets within a range of 250 km.
Source: Republic World
“Goa becomes first ‘Har Ghar Jal’ state across India to provide tap water connections to every rural household.”
- The Jal Shakti Ministry announced on October 9, 2020, that Goa has become the first state in India to provide 100 per cent tap water connections in the rural areas covering 2.30 lakh households.
- The Jal Jeevan Mission of the Central Government aims to provide piped water to all the rural households by 2024.
- As per the ministry, Goa’s achievement of providing 100 per cent tap water connection is an example for other states to ensure that rural household gets tap water connection, especially amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- Goa CM has also credited the Jal Jeevan Mission for its achievement of providing tap water connections in every rural household of the state. He informed that harnessing the immense benefits of efficiently utilizing the Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) which aims at bringing ease of living to rural communities and improve their quality of life, the state was able to achieve this success.
Source: Jagran Josh
“World Sight Day 2020: 8 October 2020.”
- It is observed on the second Thursday of October and this year it falls on 8 October. The day aims to spotlight global attention on vision impairment and blindness.
- The International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness features a leadership role in preparing the annual World Sight Day across the World.
- The theme of World Sight Day 2020 is ” Hope In Sight”.
- Lions World Sight Day has raised awareness about the importance of eye health and therefore the need for quality eye care services for all since 1988.
Source: Jagran Josh
“North Korea displays huge new intercontinental ballistic missile at coronavirus-defying parade.”
- North Korea showed off a gigantic new intern continental ballistic missile that analysts described as the largest of its kind in the world, as the nuclear armed country defied the coronavirus threat with thousands of mask less troops taking part in a military parade.
- It was the “largest road-mobile liquid-fueled missile anywhere”.
Source: Times of India
“World Mental Health Day: 10 October 2020.”
- World Mental Health Day is observed every year on 10 October for global mental health education, awareness, advocacy against the social stigma that is often attached to it.
- The history of the day goes back to the year 1992 when an initiative of the World Federation for Mental Health celebrated the first-ever World Mental Health Day on October 10.
- For two years, the day had no specific theme other than promoting mental health education and awareness. But in 1994, the day was celebrated with a theme of ‘Improving the Quality of Mental Health Services throughout the World.’
- This year, the topic of mental health has perhaps become the most important one due to the coronavirus pandemic, and the effect it has had on the mental state of humans for the past 9-10 months.
- The WHO defines mental health as a state of well-being in which an individual can realise his/her own potential and can handle stresses of everyday life while working productively and fruitfully, making a meaningful contribution to the community.
Source: Times Now News