Daily GK Update: 9th February 2020
BBIN nations deliberate on MoU for implementation of motor vehicle agreement
- A meeting of the BBIN nations — Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal — was held here on Saturday to deliberate on a proposed MoU for implementation of the motor vehicle agreement for regulation of passenger, personal and cargo vehicular traffic among the countries.
- Representatives of Bhutan participated in the meeting in an observer capacity.
The meeting was held to discuss the passenger and cargo protocols that are to give effect to the Motor Vehicles Agreement (MVA) for the regulation of passenger, personal and cargo vehicular traffic among Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal, signed on June 15, 2015, a Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said.
- This was the first meeting of the group since its meeting in Bengaluru in January 2018, where the two protocols were discussed.
Source: Outlook India
February 9: Ravidas Jayanti celebrated across India
- Guru Ravidas Jayanti is celebrated to mark the birth of Indian mystic poet-saint, Ravidas, who was born in Seer Govardhanpur village, Uttar Pradesh. Guru Ravidas Jayanti falls on the full moon of the month of Magh (February), as per the Hindu calendar.
- To celebrate the Guru’s birthday, Amritbani Guru Ravidas Ji, the holy book of the religion, is read by followers. A Nagar Kirtan possession is taken out and a special arti (a holy fire ritual) is performed. Devotees also take a customary dip in the water and offer prayers in the temples dedicated to the Guru. Shri Guru Ravidass Janam Asthan Mandir, in Seer Goverdhanpur, Varanasi, sees a major celebration.
Source: Incredibleing India
PM’s constituency Varanasi among 20 best performing Smart Cities to guide ‘laggard’ ones ‘
- With some of the 100 selected Smart Cities lagging behind, Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s parliamentary constituency Varanasi will guide Amritsar and Ahmedabad will help Chandigarh in implementing projects under the mission.
- The Union Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry has paired up 20 best performing cities with the 20 bottom cities and they will work as “sister cities”.
Source: The Economic Times
Over 200 partnerships involving Signing of MoUs, ToTs and Product launches concluded on 3rd day of DefExpo 2020
- Over 200 partnerships involving Signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs), Transfer of Technology (ToTs) and Product launches were concluded on the third day of DefExpo 2020 at Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh.
- The pacts inked in a ceremony tilted Bandhan, were aimed at forging and renewing partnerships for innovative collaboration, and transformation of the Defence manufacturing in the country.
- They were signed by representatives of various DPSUs, Indian private Defence companies and foreign companies in the presence of Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in Lucknow.
Source: News Services Division
National conference on e-governance 2020 concludes in Mumbai
- National Conference on e-Governance 2020 concluded in Mumbai yesterday after two days of rich deliberations on issues, opportunities and challenges in transforming governance using digital technologies.
- In a keynote address at the valedictory session, Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh said that e-Governance is the key to the future of India’s developmental journey in the 21st century.
- The minister stated that whether it is e-NAM or Ayushman Bharat, e-Governance is essential to good governance. The Mumbai Declaration on e-Governance has been unanimously adopted on a concluding day.
Source: News Services Division
Andhra’s first Disha police station opens, to exclusively look at violence against women
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy inaugurated the first Disha Mahila Police Station in the state in Rajahmundry on Saturday. Speaking at the inaugural address, Jagan said that a total of 18 such police stations will be set up across the state by the end of the month to exclusively deal with crimes against women and children.
- Each police station will be headed by a DSP rank officer and have a staff of 26 to 47 police officers, Jagan said, adding that the staff will mostly comprise of female officers.
Source: The News Minute
UK-India sign MOU to strengthen defence collaboration
- The UK India Business Council (UKIBC) and the Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to forge closer defence ties between the two countries.
- The MoU was signed on sidelines of the ongoing DefExpo 2020 in the presence of UK Minister for Defence Procurement James Heappey MP, Director of the UK Department for International Trade’s Defence and Security Organisation (DSO) Mark Goldsack, and Defence Advisor at the British High Commission in India Brigadier Gavin Thompson.
Source: Aviation Defence Universe
FICCI & Central asian countries jointly launches India-Central Asia business council in New Delhi
- External Affairs minister (EAM)Subrahmanyam Jaishankar and Secretary of Ministry of External Affairs,Vikas Swarup were also present at the launch.
- India-Central Asia business council is the common platform for sharing of ideas and the transformation of goodwill into practical outputs and seeks to form a India-Central Asia Development Group.
- It will boost trade & investment between India and these 5 nations and also help increase the areas of focus on renewable and non-renewable energy, oil and gas, pharmaceutical and life sciences, automotive agro-food processing, higher education, IT(Information-technology), tourism, urban infrastructure and transport including Railways.
- During the event, India proposes trade enhancement with Central Asia through Chabahar Port (a seaport in Chabahar located in southeastern Iran), points at lack of efficient overland connectivity between regions.
Source: Affairs Cloud