Daily GK Update: 8th September 2020
“DRDO’s Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle puts India in select group of nations”
- India has now joined a select group of nations that have demonstrated hypersonic technology.
- After the Anti-Satellite Test conducted last year, this is the biggest achievement by DRDO in terms of proving new technology.
- DRDO has successfully demonstrated its hypersonic air-breathing scramjet technology with the flight test from Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Launch Complex at Wheeler Island, off the coast of Odisha.
- The test proves that India now has the ability to achieve hyper speeds, validating critical technologies like performance of high temperature materials, aerodynamic design for sustained flight and the maturity of the scramjet engine.
Source: The Economic Times
“World Solar Technology Summit to see 26k participants from 149 nations”.
- The first World Solar Technology Summit (WSTS) is being organised by the International Solar Alliance (ISA).
- Around 26,000 participants from 149 countries are scheduled to take part virtually in the first World Solar Technology Summiton Tuesday.
- The event will see inking of four partnership agreements, the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) said in the statement.
- An international journalon solar technology will also be launched on the occasion.
Source: The Economic Times
“LG launches SPARROW portal for JKAS officers”.
- Lieutenant Governor, Manoj Sinha launched the Smart Performance Appraisal Report Recording Online Window (SPARROW) system for J&K Administrative Service officers, at the Raj Bhavan.
- The Performance Appraisal report of AIS officers are submitted on the SPARROW portal.
- On the same analogy, the Government of J&K has decided to switch over from manual to online generation and recording of Annual Performance Reports in respect of members of J&K Administrative Service on this system.
- The Project is being implemented by J&K e-Governance Agency, Information Technology Department in collaboration with National Informatics Centre and the General Administration Department.
Source: The Greater Kashmir
“Centre launches 24/7 toll-free mental health helpline”.
- The Union Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry launched a 24/7 toll-free helpline to provide support to people facing anxiety, stress, depression, suicidal thoughts and other mental health concerns.
- The mental health rehabilitation helpline, KIRAN, can be called from landline and mobile phones across the country at the number 1800-599-0019.
- The Ministry said the helpline had been launched “in view of the growing incidence of mental illness, particularly in the wake of the coronavirus(COVID-19) pandemic.”
Source: The Hindu
“NITI Aayog preparing Multidimensional Poverty Index to rank states/UTs”.
- NITI Aayog is at an advanced stage for preparation of a Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) parameter dashboard to rank states and Union Territories, along with a State Reform Action Plan (SRAP).
- The Aayog, which is the nodal agency for leveraging the monitoring mechanism of the Global MPI to drive reforms, has set up a coordination committee comprising members from different ministries and departments in this regard.
- The committee held its first meeting on September 2.
- “The objective of the Global Indices to Drive Reforms and Growth (GIRG) exercise is to fulfil the need to measure and monitor India’s performance on various important social and economic parameters and enable the utilisation of these indices as tools for self-improvement, bring about reforms in policies, while improving last-mile implementation of government schemes”.
Source: The Indian Express
“PM Modi inaugurates Patrika Gate in Jaipur”
- Prime Minister NarendraModi inaugurated the Patrika Gate in Jaipur through Video Conferencing.
- The iconic gate has been built by the Patrika Group of Newspapers on the Jawaharlal Nehru Marg in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
Source: Times of India
“World Literacy Day 2020: Theme, History, Significance and Quotes”.
- To remind people of the world the importance of literacy, World Literacy Day is observed every year on September 8.
- Literacy helps people live with dignity and makes them self-sufficient.
- This year, Literacy Day assumes even more significance amid the COVID-19 crisis. The mode and focus of learning have changed as virtual classrooms replaced the usual ones and online interactions took the place of face to face discussions.
- According to the UNESCO, (United Nations Scientific and Cultural Organisation): “International Literacy Day 2020 will focus on Literacy teaching and learning in the COVID-19 crisis and beyond with a focus on the role of educators and changing pedagogies.
- The theme will highlight literacy learning in a lifelong learning perspective and therefore mainly focus on youth and adults.”
Source: NDTV news
“J-K LG inaugurates State Council of Education, Research and Training”.
- Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha e-inaugurated the State Council of Education, Research and Training (SCERT) in a bid to help the administration in implementing policies for human resource development.
- The LG also launched the Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) scheme via online mode.
- In Jammu and Kashmir, the SCERT is set to work as per the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT), which is the country’s topmost institution of educational research.
Source: The Hindustan Times
“Kochi Metro’s Thykoodam-Petta stretch to be opened on Monday”.
- Marking the completion of Phase-I of Kochi Metro Rail project, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated the three-km-long stretch from Thykoodam to Petta.
- The virtual inauguration will be presided by Hardip Singh Puri, Union Minister of State (independent charge) for Housing and Urban Affairs.
- At present, Metro services are being conducted on the 25.61-km-long stretch between Aluva and Thykoodam.
- With the commissioning of the new stretch, the total length of the Kochi Metro’s network will be 28.61km.
- With the commissioning of Thykoodam-Petta stretch, KMRL is anticipating a huge footfall of passengers which is expected to decongest traffic on the Tripunithura-Vyttila stretch.
Source: The Indian Express
“Atal Innovation Mission Partners with Freshworks to empower AIM Startup Innovators”.
- Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) has partnered with Freshworks Inc. which is a customer-engagement software company to provide robust support to innovators and entrepreneurs in India.
- It aims to increase the efficacy of the institutions and startups under the AIM portfolio.
- It further targets to foster innovation and entrepreneurship among startup innovators.
- It is a flagship initiative started by NITI Aayog.
- It promotes innovation and entrepreneurship in the country.
Source: GK Today