Daily GK Update: 8th August 2020
“India to host ICC men’s T20 World Cup”
- International Cricket Council has confirmed that the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2020 that was postponed due to Covid-19 will be held in Australia in 2022.
- India will host the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 as planned.
- Cricket’s governing body has also decided to postpone the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup 2021 in New Zealand till February – March 2022 because of the impact the Covid-19 pandemic has had on cricket globally.
- The format of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 will remain as it was for 2020 and all teams that qualified for that event will now participate in India in 2021.
- A new qualification process will be run for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2022.
“RBI announces loan restructuring window for corporates”
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced a loan restructuring window for corporates following demands from bankers and industry.
- RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das made the announcement yesterday.
- Last week, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had said that the government is working with RBI on the need for restructuring of loans to help the industry tide over the impact of Covid 19.
- In February, the RBI had decided to extend the benefit of one time restructuring without an asset classification downgrade to standard accounts of GST registered micro, small and medium enterprises that were in default on January 1 this year in line with the budget announcement.
“Reliance Industries ranks 2nd in FutureBrand Index 2020”
- Billionaire Mukesh Ambani’s oil-to-telecom conglomerate Reliance Industries has been ranked second biggest brand after Apple on the FutureBrand Index 2020.
- “This year’s highest entrant at number two, Reliance Industries excels on every attribute,” FutureBrand said, releasing its 2020 Index.
- FutureBrand, which is a global brand transformation company, said part of Reliance’s success could be attributed to Mukesh Ambani’s recasting of the firm as a one-stop-shop for Indians.
- FutureBrand said six years on from the first FutureBrand Index, the world has changed dramatically, priorities have shifted and the globe’s top 100 companies are dealing with challenges unthinkable even 12 months ago.
Source: Financial Express
“PM Narendra Modi to inaugurate Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today inaugurated the Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra (RSK), an interactive experience centre on Swachh Bharat Mission.
- The inauguration was done on the occasion of the centenary celebrations of Mahatma Gandhi’s Champaran Satyagraha.
- The Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra is situated at Raj Ghat, the memorial of Mahatma Gandhi.
- PM Modi later watched a short video on “Swachh Bharat Mission” at the Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra.
“Govt to unveils COVID-19 National Clinical Registry”
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) is working on to bring out a new database of COVID-19 patients who are admitted across the county.
- The ICMR has collaborated with the Health Ministry and All India Institute of Medical Sciences in this regard.
- The plan to bring such a rigorous database of Coronavirus is done in order to understand ways to improve treatment in hospitals.
- According to a report, the database, also known as a national clinical registry for COVID-19 patients, will also allow the health officials in the country to conduct clinical trials and study the effectiveness of new therapies that are being introduced for treating the deadly infection.
Source: Financial Express
“RBI launches Online Dispute Resolution System for Digital Payments”
- The Reserve Bank of India has announced the introduction of an Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) system for resolving customer disputes and grievances pertaining to digital payments.
- This ODR shall be a system-driven and rule-based mechanism with zero or minimal manual intervention.
- RBI has asked the Payment System Operators (PSOs) – banks and non-banks to implement an ODR system for disputes and grievances related to failed transactions in their respective payment systems by January 1, 2021.
- Subsequently, the ODR arrangement would be extended to cover disputes and grievances other than those related to failed transactions.
“Pulitzer Prize-winning writer Shirley Ann Grau passes away”
- Shirley Ann Grau, a Pulitzer Prize-winning fiction writer whose stories and novels told of both the dark secrets and the beauty of the Deep South, has died.
- She was 91.
- Grau died Monday in a New Orleans-area care facility of complications from a stroke.
- Grau won the 1965 Pulitzer Prize for her fourth book, “The Keepers of the House.”
- Her six novels and four short story collections were all set in the Deep South, from New Orleans to north Louisiana and Alabama.
Source: Los Angeles Times
“Delhi Govt rolls out ‘Electric Vehicle Policy’”
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Friday (August 7, 2020) launched a new electric vehicle policy that aims to boost the economy, creating jobs and reduce air pollution in the national capital.
- Addressing a press conference in this regard, CM Kejriwal said, “We have notified the Electric Vehicle Policy today.
- The Chief Minister further said that the Delhi government will give ‘scrapping incentive’ under electric vehicle policy.
- CM Kejriwal also declared incentive up to Rs 30,000 for 2-wheelers, autos, e-rickshaws, up to Rs 1.5 lakh for cars under electric vehicle policy.
Source: Zee News
“NHAI signs MoU with IIT Delhi to setup AI Centre of Excellence”
- The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) under the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways on Thursday signed a MoU with the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi to set up a Centre of Excellence (CoE) for use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in data driven decision making and advance data management system for Highways.
- Under the partnership, IIT Delhi will work with NHAI on developing advanced analytics based on AI and ML, prepare simulation models, enhance data storage and retrieval capacities to further strengthen NHAI’s capabilities in data-driven decision making.
- The collaboration, according to a statement from the MoRTH, will be undertaken on the identified thrust areas like Project Management and Data Management, Highway Network Traffic Demand and Incident Management, Highway safety, Highway Work-zone Management, Highway Pavement Management System.
- IIT Delhi will also give inputs for NHAI data management policy.
- NHAI will provide the critical data support and necessary access to its information resources including the data software, ‘Data Lake’.
Source: The Pioneer
“Rajouri’s Deputy Commissioner launches ‘Awaz-e-Rajauri’”
- In order to improve public Grievances redressal mechanism, Deputy Commissioner of Rajouri, Nazir Sheikh, has launched a mobile app “Awaz-e-Rajouri”.
- AIR Jammu Correspondent reports that the launch of mobile app would improve public grievances mechanism.
- The use of the app by general public would make the officers and officials more accountable and instill confidence among the people in district administration.
- The free of cost app would help the citizens register their grievances online and also track the status of their complaints.
- DC Rajouri assured that the resolution of the complaint would be time bound.
- The app has been developed by a team of NIC, Rajouri.
Source: All India Radio