Daily GK Update: 7th September 2020
“International Day of Clean Air for Blue Skies”.
- International Day of Clean Air for blue skies is being observed on September 7th, 2020. The day is first of its kind.
- AIM:- Raising public awareness, the individual, community, corporate and government level about the importance of clean air for health, productivity, economy and the environment.
- The resolution to hold an International Day of Clean Air for blue skies was adopted on December 19, 2019 during 74th session of United Nations General assembly.
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is facilitating the observance of the International Day.
Source: GK today
“Vodafone Idea rebranded as Vi, recharge plans remain unchanged”.
- Telecom giant Vodafone Idea has been rebranded in India as Vi.
- Vodafone Idea announced that it will be known as Vi (pronounced as We) and not Vodafone Idea.
- It is no secret that Vodafone has not been able to clear the AGR dues and by launching a new brand identity, it aims to reinstate its brand in a market dominated by Reliance Jio and Airtel.
- The brand integration not only marks the completion of the largest telecom merger in the world but also sets us on our future journey to offer world-class digital experiences to 1 Billion Indians on our strong 4G network.
Source: India Today
“First – ever cannabis medicine project coming up in Jammu: Jitendra Singh”
- The first ever cannabis medicine project will soon be set up in Jammu with Canadian collaboration, Union minister Jitendra Singh.
- The Minister of State for Prime Minister’s Office said it is the first major foreign investment in Jammu and Kashmir after it became a Union Territory (UT).
- The first ever cannabis medicine project will be set up with the collaboration of Canada at Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine (IIIM) in Jammu.
- The medicine prepared from this plant can be utilised even for export to other countries.
Source: Business Standard
“35th FAO Regional Conference for Asia and the Pacific 2020”
- The 35th Session of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Regional Conference for Asia and the Pacific (APRC 35)was held virtual format due to the global COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Conference was held under the Chair of the Host Country, A sum of Rs. 510.86 crore will be spent over a period of 5 years from 2020-21 to 2024-25 in order to cover around 46 lakh Central employees.
- The Union Minister of State for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Parshottam Rupala represented India in the conference.
- The conference focused on regional priorities and issues such as COVID 19, the state of agriculture, natural resources management, food security and nutrition.
- Bangladesh will host the 36th Regional Conference for Asia and the Pacific of the in 2022. It will be the first time that the country will host the event, ever since it joined the organisation in 1973.
- The Regional Conference is held once every two years. The first regional conference was held in Bangalore, India, in 1953.
Source: Daily Hunt
“IIT Delhi incubated startup launches ‘Chakr DeCoV’ to decontaminate N95 masks”.
- IIT Delhi incubated startup Chakr Innovation has launched ‘Chakr DeCoV’ to decontaminate N95 masks.
- Designed in the shape of a cabinet, Chakr DeCoV is built with an innovative decontamination mechanism, which utilises the high penetrability of Ozone gas for cleaning the pores of the N95 mask, ensuring complete decontamination of its intricate layers.
- Ozone is a strong oxidizing agent that destroys viruses by diffusing through the protein coat, resulting in damage to the viral RNA. Proper dosage and exposure of Ozone can result in inactivation of SARS CoV-2 and a 99.9999 per cent reduction in bacterial load, after which an N95 mask can be reused for up to 10 times without any impact on the filtration efficiency.
Source: DD News
“Whatsapp, CPF partner to create awareness on cyber safety among students”
- WhatsApp announced a strategic partnership with CyberPeace Foundation with the aim to create awareness on cyber safety among students.
- The facebook-owned messaging platform noted in a press release that “this is an effort to build on their earlier partnership with WhatsApp under the “e-Raksha” program that reached thousands of students.”
- With the collaboration, the platforms aim to reach nearly 15,000 students across five states including Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, and Maharashtra by the end of 2020.
Source: Indian Express
“Donald Trump announces Wilmington as first World War II Heritage City”
- US President Donald Trump announced Wilmington in southern US state North Carolina as the first World War II Heritage City at a ceremony held to mark the 75th anniversary of the end of World War II.
- During the war, Wilmington was the site of the North Carolina Shipbuilding Company, which built 243 ships in five years as part of the federal government’s emergency shipbuilding program, according to a The Hill report.
Source: The Business Standard
“Ian Bell announces retirement from professional cricket”.
- Former England batsman Ian Bell announced his decision to retire from professional cricket.
- The batsman said that he would be playing his final red-ball game for Warwickshire on Sunday, and his last T20 match for the county will be played next week.
Source: NDTV Sports
“Vinkesh Gulati appointed president of FADA”.
- The Federation of Automobile Dealers (FADA), the apex national of Automobile Retail in India, announced the appointment of Vinkesh Gulati as its 35th
- Gulati is also FADA’s first president from Uttar Pradesh.
- This decision was made at the 298th governing council meeting which was held immediately after the 56th annual general meeting of the federation.
- Gulati is the director of United Automobiles, based out of Allahabad and Faridabad.
Source: Times of India
“President, PM address inaugural session os Governors’ Conference on NEP 2020”.
- President Ram Nath Kovind and Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the inaugural session of the Governors’ Conference on National Education Policy 2020.
- The theme of the conference being the role of nep in transforming higher education.
- The Conference was also attended by Education Ministers of all States, Vice-Chancellors of State Universities and other senior officials.
Source: DD News