Daily GK Update: 7th February 2020
India to develop 200-km range tactical ballistic missile
- India is working on a new tactical ballistic missile capable of striking targets at a range of 200km, two top government officials said on Thursday on condition of anonymity.
- The surface-to-surface missile, being developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), has been named Pranash, the first official cited above told Hindustan Times at DefExpo 2020, a military systems’ exhibition organised by the Department of Defence Production that seeks to project India as hub for global defence manufacturing.
- The new weapon traces its origin to the Prahaar missile developed by the DRDO, the official said. The Prahaar has a range of 150km but the army wanted a weapon with a better range, which is why Pranash is being developed, he added.
Source: Hindustan Times
Trade Deficit between India and China
- Government of India has been taking continuous and sustained steps to bridge trade deficit by lowering the trade barriers for Indian exports to China. During the 11th session of India-China Joint Group on Economic Relations(JEG) held in New Delhi on 26 March 2018, the Trade Ministers of two countries agreed to increasing bilateral trade between the two countries in a balanced and more sustainable manner.
- In this regard various meetings have been held with Chinese counterparts as a part of ongoing efforts to seek market access for various Indian agricultural products, animal feeds, oil seeds, milk and milk products, pharmaceutical products etc., in light of the potential of these products/services in the Chinese market. Also protocols have been signed to facilitate export of Indian rice, rapeseed meal, fishmeal – fish oil and tobacco leaves from India to China.
Source: Press Information Bureau
$5 billion defence export target to be achieved in the next 5 years: Rajnath Singh
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on Friday expressed confidence that the country will achieve the target of five billion dollar worth of defence exports by 2024.
- Today MoUs signed by us will strengthen defence industrial base and will prove beneficial for the country. You all must be convinced that our policy in defence sector has started giving results,” he said at an event – Badhan – at the Defexpo here.
Source: The Economic Times
Ease of living index launched
- Ease of living index (EoLI) and Municipal Performance Index (MPI) 2019 have launched by the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs.
- The indices designed to assess the quality of life of citizens in 100 Smart Cities and 14 other Million Plus Cities.
- Municipal Performance Index 2019, the Ministry sought to evaluate the performance of municipalities based on five enablers, namely Service, Finance, Planning, Technology, and Governance, which have been further divided into 20 sectors, which will be evaluated across 100 indicators.
- This will help Municipalities in better planning and management, filling the gaps in city administration, and improving the liveability of cities for its citizens.