Daily GK Update: 7th August 2020
“Girish Chandra Murmu appointed as new CAG of India”
- Girish Chandra Murmu has been appointed as the new Comptroller & Auditor General (CAG) of India.
- Murmu had stepped down as the Lieutenant Governor of Jammu & Kashmir.
- He will take oath as the Comptroller & Auditor General of India (CAG) on Saturday at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- Murmu had been replaced by former union minister Manoj Sinha as the next Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir by president Ram Nath Kovind.
- Murmu, 60, belongs to the 1985-batch Indian Administrative Service and is from the Gujarat cadre.
- He was the principal secretary to Prime Minister Narendra Modi when Modi was the Chief Minister of Gujarat.
Source: Live Mint
“Karnataka launches India’s First Mobile COVID-19 testing lab”
- The Karnataka Government on Wednesday launched a mobile COVID-19 lab, developed by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc).
- Karnataka Medical Education Minister Dr K Sudhakar inaugurated the mobile lab claimed to be the first ICMR-approved mobile RT-PCR Covid-19 testing laboratory in India.
- According to the minister, 9,000 RT-PCR (reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction) tests can be performed in the lab per month.
- MITR (Mobile Infection Testing and Reporting) lab by IISc has been handed over to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS).
Source: The Indian Express
“Ajay Tyagi’s tenure as SEBI Chairman extended till February 2022”
- Ajay Tyagi was given an 18-month extension, till February 2022, as the chairman of markets regulator SEBI, according to a Personnel Ministry
- This is the second extension given to Tyagi.
- It comes at a time when the economy and capital markets are staring at uncertainties due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- The Appointments Committeeof the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved extension of Tyagi’s term for 18 months, with effect from September 1, 2020 up to February 28, 2022.
- Tyagi, a 1984 batch Indian Administrative Service(retired) officer of Himachal Pradesh cadre, took over as the SEBI chairman on March 1, 2017 for a period of three years.
- Prior to joining as the chief of the markets regulator, Tyagi was Additional Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs under the Finance Ministry.
Source: Business Today
“Yatish Yadav penned down ‘RAW: A History of India’s Covert Operations”
- The new book, titled “RAW: A History of India’s Covert Operations”, has been launched, which gives a peep into the heroic covert operations carried by India’s external spy agency Research and Analysis Wing (RAW).
- The book has been written by investigative journalist and author Yatish Yadav. It has been published by Westland.
- The book gives a detailed account of the unanswered questions surrounding the spy agency like its operatives, and also reveals hitherto unknown aspects of their life, trauma and temptation, triumphs and setbacks in executing each of their “Mission Impossible”.
“SAI unveils Khelo India Mobile App online training program”
- The Sports Authority of India (SAI), in association with Education Boards CISCE and CBSE, will host an online program for training of Physical Education (PE) Teachers from CISCE Schools on “Khelo India Fitness Assessment of School Going Children”.
- tarting from Friday, the programme will target 7500 participants across 2615 CISCE schools in two zones.
- This large-scale training is being organized to assess the fitness levels of the school children and to identify potential future champions from a vast pool of grassroots talent.
- This training has been undertaken owing to the coronavirus outbreak where schools have been shut and the new academic session has begun across India in the form of online classes or webinars.
Source: Business World
“DIAT bags 1st position in Smart India Hackathon 2020”
- Defence Institute of Advanced Technology, DIAT, has bagged 1st prize in Smart India Hackathon, SIH, 2020, held from 1st to 3rd of this month at Noida Institute of Engineering and Technology, Uttar Pradesh.
- This 36- hour non-stop digital product building competition was a national level competition for software edition, which was organized jointly by the Ministry of Human Resource Development and All India Council for Technical Education.
- During the competition, Prime Minister Narendra Modi interacted with the participants in a live event.
- Six- member team of the institute received one lakh rupees as prize money for solving a technical problem using artificial intelligence.
- Defence Research and Development Organization Chairman Dr G. Satheesh Reddy has congratulated the team on winning the award for a consecutive second time.
Source: All India Radio News
“First Kisan Special Parcel Train or Kisan Rail flagged off”
- Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar on Friday flagged off India’s first Kisan Special Parcel Train or Kisan Rail from Deolali in Nashik to Danapur in Bihar, through video-conferencing.
- Tomar also said that Indian Railways had operated 4,610 trains on 96 routes to ensure suffient supply of food items across the country amidst the coronavirus pandemic.
- Minister of state for railways Suresh Angadi, Leader of Opposition in Maharashtra assembly Devendra Fadanvis, Maharashtra Minister Civil Supplies and Consumer Protection Chhagan Bhujbal were among the dignitaries present to witness the occassion.
“First ever Online Patriotic Film Festival inaugurated”
- Just a week before Independence Day 2020, The National Film Development Corporation (NFDC) has organised an online patriotic film festival, which will showcase Independence Day themed patriotic movies from August 7.
- The festival, as part of Independence Day Celebrations 2020 by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, will begin August 7 and will run till August 21.
- The festival aims to showcase Indian history that marks the bravery of freedom fighters and “aims to create a festive and patriotic mood among Indians across the globe”.
- The patriotic films will be showcased on the website www.cinemasofindia.com free of cost and will feature critically acclaimed movies from various Indian languages including Hindi, Marathi, Telugu, Tamil, Bengali, Gujarati and Malayalam.
“Famous TV Actor Sameer Sharma passes away in Mumbai”
- TV actor and model Samir Sharma was found dead last night at his Mumbai home
- The 44-year-old actor – seen in Balaji Telefilms’ popular TV shows “Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi” and “Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki” – was found hanging in the kitchen of his Malad flat, police said, adding that they suspect he killed himself.
- His body was found by a security guard who alerted other members of the apartment complex.
- The actor was living on rent at the Malad home.
“Former West Bengal Minister Shyamal Chakraborty passes”
- Senior CPI(M) trade union leader and former West Bengal transport minister Shyamal Chakraborty passed away at a hospital in Kolkata today at the age of 76.
- Chakraborty had tested COVID19 positive earlier.
- The former CPI(M) trade union leader was admitted to a private nursing home on July 30 in Kolkata with severe breathing trouble and other old age ailments causing concern among his family, party comrades and large followers about his health.
Source: One India