Daily GK Update: 6th December 2019
Jharkhand Assembly elections Phase 2: Four candidates booked for crimes against women
- In the second phase of the Jharkhand Assembly elections, 20 constituencies are going to the polls with 260 candidates in the fray.
- Only 29 of these are women.
- Of the 20 constituencies, 16 are reserved Scheduled Tribe seats, one is reserved for Scheduled Castes, and three are general constituencies.
Source : The Hindu
International Civil Aviation Day 2019:
- The International Civil Aviation Day is observed every year on 7 December across the world to generate and reinforce worldwide awareness of importance of international civil aviation to social and economic development.
- It also seeks to highlight unique role of International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) in helping member states to cooperate and realize a truly global rapid transit network at the service of all mankind.
Source : The JAGRAN Josh
India Water Impact Summit-2018 to be held from 5th December
Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Shri Nitin Gadkari will inaugurate India Water Impact Summit 2018, being jointly organized by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and the Centre for Ganga River Basin Management and Studies (cGanga) from 5-7 December 2018 in New Delhi.
CBSE schools have introduced artificial intelligence as a subject in class IX: HRD Minister
Artificial Intelligence (AI) has been introduced as a subject in classes VIII, IX and X from the session 2019 to 2020 in CBSE schools, said the Union Minister for Human Resource Development (HRD), Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha on 5 December 2019.
Govt sanctions Rs 100 cr to set up women help desks in police stations
- Union Home Ministry has sanctioned a sum 100 crore rupees from Nirbhaya Fund for setting up and strengthening of Women Help Desks in Police Stations.
- This scheme would be implemented by the States and Union Territories.
- The Help Desks would focus on making the Police Stations more women-friendly and approachable, as they would be the first and single point of contact for any woman walking into a police station.
- Essentially, lady police officers would be deployed at these help desks.
- The officials of Women Help Desk would be trained to be sensitive towards women.
- These help desks would have enlisted panel of experts like lawyers, psychologists and NGOs to facilitate legal aid, counselling, shelter, rehabilitation and training.
Source : NEWS SERVICES DIVISION
Armed Forces Flag Day: VP, PM Modi hail Indian forces
- Armed Forces Flag Day is observed across the country today. It is observed on the 7th of December every year to honour the martyrs and Armed Forces personnel, who safeguard the motherland.
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu said, the day provides an opportunity to express gratitude to the nation towards forces guarding the borders and their families.
Source : NEWS SERVICES DIVISION
CSIR signs MoU with BHEL to push ‘Make in India’ initiative
- CSIR and BHEL have signed an MoU to cooperate, collaborate and pursue industrial application oriented research programmes and its commercialization in large scale. Thus, indigenously developed technologies by CSIR shall be commercialised & implemented jointly by BHEL & CSIR in the country, to make the Government of India initiative “Make in India” successful.
- The first joint project to be taken up under this collaboration shall be for commercialization by BHEL of various water purification / sewage disposal related technologies developed by CSIR. The MoU will remain in force for five years duration.
Indian Railways provides free WiFi at five thousand 500 stations
- The Railways has provided free WiFi at five thousand 500 stations across the country.
- Jharkhand’s Mahuamilan railway station has become the five thousand 500th station to get the facility.
- Free Wi-Fi service to passengers are being provided under RailWire.
- The Railways began the service of providing free WiFi at its stations from January 2016 from Mumbai Central station.
Source : NEWS SERVICES DIVISION
KPMG, Microsoft strengthen global relationship through five-year agreement
KPMG and Microsoft Corp. are strengthening their global relationship through a five-year agreement to accelerate digital transformation for KPMG member firms and mutual clients. As part of its announcement to significantly invest in technology, people and innovation, KPMG is modernizing its workplace using the Microsoft 365 suite of cloud-based collaboration and productivity tools, including Microsoft Teams.
Kiren Rijiju announces Ripu Daman Bevli as Plogging Ambassador of India
- Fit India Plogging Run, which was launched on October 2, 2019, concluded on Thursday in Delhi’s Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium, having covered 50 cities across the country.
- During the event, Minister of State(I/C) for Youth Affairs & Sports, Kiren Rijiju felicitated Ripu Daman Bevli, popularly known as the Plogman of India and named him the Plogging Ambassador of India.
- The Minister also launched the nation-wide Plogging Ambassador Mission under which, Indians who have been running and cleaning their cities, towns or districts, will be nominated as Plogging Ambassadors of their region.
RBI releases “Guidelines for ‘on tap’ Licensing of Small Finance Banks in the Private Sector”
- The Reserve Bank of India today released on its website, “Guidelines for ‘on tap’ Licensing of Small Finance Banks in the Private Sector”.
- Major changes from the earlier Guidelines on Small Finance Banks dated November 27, 2014, are (i) The licensing window will be open on-tap; (ii) minimum paid-up voting equity capital / net worth requirement shall be ₹ 200 crore; (iii) for Primary (Urban) Co-operative Banks (UCBs), desirous of voluntarily transiting into Small Finance Banks (SFBs) initial requirement of net worth shall be at ₹ 100 crore, which will have to be increased to ₹ 200 crore within five years from the date of commencement of business.
- Incidentally, the net-worth of all SFBs currently in operation is in excess of ₹ 200 crore; (iv) SFBs will be given scheduled bank status immediately upon commencement of operations; (v) SFBs will have general permission to open banking outlets from the date of commencement of operations; (vi) Payments Banks can apply for conversion into SFB after five years of operations, if they are otherwise eligible as per these guidelines.
Source : Reserve Bank of India
Coast Guard gets more teeth, can now legally search & seize vessels in EEZ
- The Indian Coast Guard has been given powers under the Coast Guard Act to board, search any vessel and arrest people for offences within the maritime zone of the country, Defence Secretary Ajay Kumar said on Thursday.
- A Coast Guard official said earlier, the maritime security agency did not have the power to board any vessel passing through India’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).
Source : Business Standard
Cabinet approves launch of Bharat Bond ETF to pump money into public sector
- The Cabinet today approved the launch of Bharat Bond Exchange Traded Fund or ETF, which would be be the first corporate bond ETF in the country.
- ETFs invest in a basket of securities representing an index, security or commodity and are traded on the stock exchange like any security listed on the exchange.
- Bharat Bond ETF will be a basket of bonds issued by central public sector enterprises and Will invest in a portfolio of bonds of CPSE, CPSU, CPFI or any other government organisation.
The 3rd edition of National Public Procurement Conclave is held in New Delhi
- The 3rd edition of National Public Procurement Conclave began held in New Delhi.
- The conclave was inaugurated by the Union Minister for Commerce & Industry and Railways, Piyush Goyal along with Minister of State of Commerce and Industry, Som Parkash.