Daily GK Update: 6th August 2020
“Manoj Sinha appointed as new LG of Jammu and Kashmir”
- President Ram Nath Kovind on Thursday appointed former Union minister Manoj Sinha as the next Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir.
- He will replace Girish Chandra Murmu who resigned on Wednesday.
- President Kovind accepted Murmu’s resignation on Thursday.
- The move to appoint Sinha as the next Lieutenant Governor is aimed at reaching out to the people of the union territory with a soft political touch, something that Murmu, a former bureaucrat, could not achieve during his nine-month tenure.
- After Satyapal Malik, who was governor of erstwhile J&K state, Sinha is the new political touch to the Valley – both Malik and Sinha are grassroot politicians with the latter an alma mater of IIT-BHU, Varanasi.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Reserve Bank keeps repo rate unchanged at 4.0 percent”
- The six-member monetary policy committee (MPC) of the Reserve Bank of India, headed by Governor Shaktikanta Das, on Thursday maintained status quo on the policy rates after delivering 115 basis points repo rate cuts since March.
- The repo rate stands at 4 per cent, and the reverse repo rate at 3.35 per cent.
- Various economists had expected the central bank to overlook a 6 per cent-plus inflation rate and bat for reviving growth with a 25 basis points repo rate.
- The stock market cheered the RBI announcements, with the BSE Sensex climbing 479 points or 1.27 per cent to 38,142.33 by 1 pm.
- The NSE Nifty50 was trading near 10,250 level.
- Major bank stocks gained up to 2 per cent.
Source: Economic Times
“India Granted $15.46 million to India-UN Development Partnership Fund”
- India has contributed USD 15.46 million to the India-UN Development Partnership Fund, underscoring the country’s commitment to supporting developing nations in their developmental priorities across all the Sustainable Development Goals.
- India’s Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador T S Tirumurti handed over a cheque of USD 15.46 million to the United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC) Director Jorge Chediek at a low-key ceremony held within social distancing guidelines at the Permanent Mission of India to the UN on Tuesday.
- The tranche of USD 15.46 million includes USD 6 million to the overall fund, in which all the developing countries are eligible for partnership, and USD 9.46 million dedicated to the Commonwealth countries. The India-UN Development Partnership Fund is managed by the UNOSSC and implemented under the leadership of partner developing countries leveraging the strengths of United Nations Agencies, Funds and Programmes.
Source: The week
“India slipped to 4th position in Hurun Global Unicorns 2020 list”
- India is no more the third largest base for unicorns globally. The country has slipped to the fourth position pipped by the UK as the total number of unicorns in India failed to increase in 2020 so far from last year.
- According to the Hurun Global Unicorns 2020 list – the annual listing of unicorns across the world – India’s number of unicorns was 21 in 2019 and remained at 21 from last year ranking out in October.
- On the other hand, the UK added 11 new unicorns from last year to a total of 24 to bag the third spot.
- Also, the 21 unicorns in India were just a little over 50 per cent of 38 brand new unicorns that came up from last year in China — the second biggest base globally with 227 unicorns following 233 unicorns in the US.
- India’s unicorn tally was led by Paytm with $16-billion valuation (13thglobally up from 23rd last year) followed by both OYO and Byju’s ($8 billion each) ranked 31st globally, Ola ($6 billion) ranked 49th, Swiggy ($3.5 billion) and Zomato ($3.5 billion) both ranked 96th.
Source: Financial Express
“E-Gyan Mitra mobile app launched by DNHDD for online education”
- Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu bordering Gujarat has launched E-Gyan Mitra mobile app for online education.
- Ahmedabad correspondent reports that the E-Gyan Mitra app launched by the Education Department of Daman Administration is becoming popular among the students and parents.
“Axis Bank Launches AI powered Voice Bot ‘AXAA’”
- With an aim to address the increasing number of queries from customers effectively and promptly, Axis Bank, India’s third largest private sector bank, today announced the launch of Automated Voice Assistant ‘AXAA’, an Artificial Intelligence powered conversational voice BOT.
- A BOT is basically a computer software, programmed and designed to interact with humans. Several insurance companies and bank have already launched them but only on the Internet platform.
- The launch of AXAA is in line with the Bank’s “Dil se Open” philosophy, to build a sharper customer focus and embark on a journey of constant innovation and enhancement.
- AXAA is IVR based BOT and operates like a humanoid with power to change the paradigm of customer experience from conventional Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system to a new era of call steering and precise response with very high degree of accuracy and consistency.
- It will assist customers to traverse through the IVR and address their queries and requests, without the need for any human intervention in most cases.
Source: Financial Express
“Over 41 Crore in donations so far for Ram Temple construction”
- The donations for the construction of Ram Temple in Ayodhya have started pouring in from all across the country and beyond.
- At the moment when the construction is yet to start, the Shri Ram Janmbhoomi Teerth Kshetra (SRJBTK) trust has reportedly received around 41 Crore in donations.
- The trust, that has been set upon by the Union Government after being directed by Supreme Court to do so, will oversee the construction of Ram Temple in Ayodhya, and related management of the same.
- According to a report in Times of India, 41 Crore amounts to the donations the SRJBTK received ahead of the Bhoomi Pujan ceremony that took place on 5th August.
- Thus, it doesn’t include the donations made on 5th August itself – from Swami Ram Dev of Patanjali Yogpeeth, Swami Chiddanand Saraswati of the Parmarth Niketan, and Swami Avdheshanand Giri of the Juna Akhada.
Source: Jagaran English
“PM lays foundation for Ram Temple in Ayodhya”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday inaugurated the construction of Ram Temple in Ayodhya, describing it as the instrument to unite the country.
- Ram is the thread that strings together India’s unity in diversity… the process of construction of the Ram Temple is an attempt to unite the nation,” the Prime Minister said.
- Modi also sought to draw parallels in the freedom struggle and the Ram temple movement.
Source: Deccan Herald
“Chhattisgarh launches social security scheme for tendu leaves collectors”
- Chhattisgarh government is introducing a social security scheme for the tribals engaged in the plucking of beedi leaves from the forests.
- The scheme is to be named after slain Congress leader Mahendra Karma, who was killed along with other frontline Congress leaders in a deadly Maoist ambush at Jheeram valley in Bastar in May 2013.
- Titled as Shaheed Mahendra Karma samajik Suraksha Yojana, the scheme aims to benefit more than 12.50 lakh families engaged in the plucking of tendu ( beedi leaves) from the forests.
- The scheme envisages to provide a financial aid of Rs two lakh to the nominee or the heir in case of normal death of the head of the family of a registered tendupatta labourer if the deceased’s age is below 50 years.
- In case of death due to accident, additional financial aid Rs two lakh will be provided, where as in case of permanent disability caused in the accident, financial aid of Rs two lakh will be provided and Rs one lakh for partial disability.
Source: Times of India
“Former Union Home Secretary Ram D. Pradhan passed away”
- Former Union Home Secretary Ram Pradhan died here due to age-related ailments.
- The 92-year-old veteran IAS officer is survived by his wife and three children.
- Pradhan breathed his last at his home at around 8.30 am.
- Pradhan, who served as the governor of Arunachal Pradesh during Rajiv Gandhi”s tenure as Prime Minister, played a major role in signing of the Assam Accord and Mizoram Peace Accord.
- In the last few years, Pradhan served as a trustee of the Y B Chavan Pratisthan in Mumbai.
- He also headed a two-member committee set up in December 2008 to probe the security forces” response to the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack.
Source: Outlook India