Daily GK Update: 5th September 2020
5th September : International Day of Charity
- International Day of Charity is being observed on 5th September by the United Nations.
- The main purpose of day is to sensitize and mobilize people, NGOs, and stakeholders all around the world to help others through volunteer and philanthropic activities.
- The date of 5 Sep was chosen in order to commemorate the death anniversary of Mother Teresa.
Source: Free Press Journal
Murali Ramakrishnan becomes new MD & CEO of South Indian Bank
- Reserve Bank of India(RBI) has approved appointment of Murali Ramakrishnan as MD and CEO of South Indian Bank with effect from October 1.
- Ramakrishnan had retired from ICICI Bankas Senior General Manager at Strategic Project Group on May 30, 2020, and joined the South Indian Bank as an advisor on July 1, 2020.
- RBI has approved him as Managing Director and CEO of the bank for a period of three years.
Source: Economic Times
‘Gandagi Bharat Chhodo-Madhya Pradesh’ campaign launched
- Urban Development and Housing Minister Bhupendra Singh, along with dedicating the state-of-the-art Integrated Solid Waste Management Unit at Maswasi Grunt in Sagar on Sunday, launched Gandagi Bharat Chhodo-Madhya Pradesh” campaign.
- This campaign has been given the shape of a mass movement.
- The campaign was divided into five themes– Cleanliness Oath, Continuous reduction in urban waste emissions, Cleanliness in COVID conditions, Separation of waste from sources of houses and Launching a special cleanliness campaign for public places.
- The most important thing is that the first animal carcass plant of the state has also been set up here, where carcasses of cattle will be disposed of scientifically.
Source: Daily Pioneer
Bajaj Allianz Life ropes in Ayushmann Khurrana as its Brand Ambassador
- Bajaj Allianz Life has appointed Bollywood actor Ayushmann Khurrana as its brand ambassador.
- The actor will promote its products and digital services across offline and online mediums.
- Khurrana will feature in the brand’s next campaign ‘Smart Living’ that encompasses its term plan – Smart Protect Goal and the new digital service – Smart Assist.
Source: Brand Equity
Dwayne Bravo appointed as the first cricket ambassador SBOTOP sportsbook brand
- Celton Manx has appointment West Indies cricket icon Dwayne Bravo as the first cricket ambassador for its flagship SBOTOP sportsbook brand.
- Bravo is recognised as one of Caribbean cricket’s best ever ‘all-rounders’, representing the West Indies in all formats of the sport,
- He has a career of 256 test caps and 120 one-day-internationals.
Source: SBC News
UNEP launches “Green Nudges” programme for universities
- The UN Environment Programme (UNEP) today launched a new publication, “The Little Book of Green Nudges”.
- The book aims to inspire up to 200 million students around the globe to adopt environmentally friendly habits and greener lifestyles.
- It contains 40 ready-made nudges – simple measures that make it easier to make green choices – which university campuses can deploy to encourage students and staff to embrace more sustainable behaviours.
Punjab government launched ‘I Rakhwali’ app for Environment Protection
- The State Forest Department of Punjab on Thursday (September 3) launched ‘I Rakhwali’ application to help netizens to become ‘Greenery Saviours’
- Its main aim is to inspire people to plant more trees. With this new initiative, the state govt aims to safeguard the state forest area by making people a stakeholder in this process.
- The new app will help common people with the geographical location of nurseries.
Source: NDTV News
RBI releases revised priority sector lending guidelines
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Friday released revised priority sector lending (PSL) guidelines to augment funding for COVID-19 impacted companies.
- The revised guidelines will enable better credit penetration to credit deficient areas, increase lending to small and marginal farmers and weaker sections, boost credit to renewable energy, and health infrastructure.
- The revised guidelines have been framed to address regional disparities in the flow of priority sector credit. Higher weightage has been assigned to incremental priority sector credit in ‘identified districts’ where priority sector credit flow is comparatively low.
Source: The Hindu
Indian Navy holds a two-day naval drill with Russia in Bay of Bengal
- The Indian and Russian navies on Friday began a two-day mega military exercise in the Bay of Bengal to further consolidate their interoperability in dealing with various security challenges.
- The exercise is aimed at enhancing interoperability, improving understanding and imbibing best practices between the two navies.
- India was represented by guided-missile destroyer INS Ranvijay, stealth frigate INS Sahyadri and fleet tanker Shakti, along with their integral helicopters.
Source: Economic Times
EFLU’s English App launched by Union Minister for Education
- Union Minister of Education Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank launched EnglishPro, a free mobile app.
- The app is developed by the English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad.
- The app will help learners develop Indian English Pronunciation in the unique “Indian” way.
- This app will be “a useful digital tool” and will act as an educational resource for the teachers, students and for people from varied backgrounds.
Source: The New Indian Express