Daily GK Update: 5th December 2019
Data Protection bill approved by the cabinet
- The Cabinet on December 4, 2019 approved Data Protection bill to be tabled in Lok Sabha.
- The bill lays down legal framework to preserve sanctity in data sharing.
- The Draft of the bill was released by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology in 2018.
RBI fifth bi-monthly Monetary Policy released
The Reserve Bank of India on December 5, 2019, released its fifth bi-monthly monetary policy statement for the year 2019-20.
India 5th worst country in terms of invasive use of biometric data
According to a new report from Comparitech, a Britain-based tech research firm, India is fifth worst country after China, Malaysia, Pakistan and United States in terms of extensive and invasive use of biometric data.
Goa to host 2nd edition of Startup India Global Venture Capital Summit 2019
- The 2nd edition of Startup India Global Venture Capital Summit is being organized in Goa on 6-7 December 2019 for Fund Managers and Limited Partners of Top Global Venture Capital (VC) Firms.
- The summit is being organized by Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) under Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry, in partnership with Goa Government.
- Theme for Startup India Global Venture Capital Summit 2019 is- ‘India Opportunity- Investing in tomorrow together’.
Pacific Air Chiefs’ Symposium 2019 being held in Hawaii
- The Chief of Indian Air Force (IAF) Air Chief Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria is set to participate in Pacific Air Chiefs Symposium 2019 (PACS 2019) being held at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam in Hawaii (a state of USA).
- Theme for 2019’s symposium is: ‘A Collaborative Approach to Regional Security’.
Meteor missiles: India asks for early delivery from France
- India has requested for an early delivery of Meteor air-to-air missiles from France.
- These missiles will provide India the power to take on US supplied AMRAAM missiles possessed by the Pakistan Air Force.
Gadchiroli attack to avenge killing of 40 Naxal cadres: NIA chargesheet nails conspiracy
- NIA has filed a chargesheet against 12 Naxals for their alleged involvement in Gadchiroli attack.
- While the anti-terror probe agency has arrested eight naxals, four accused continue to be on the run.
- The arrested accused carried out the blast using the IED.
Source India Today
Exercise INDRA 2019 to be conducted from 10 December
- Exercise INDRA 2019 is a joint, tri-services exercise held between India and Russia.
- The exercise will be conducted in India from 10-19 December 2019. It will hold simultaneously at Babina, Pune, and Goa.
HDFC ERGO launches my:health Woman Suraksha – A special health insurance for women
- HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company, India’s third-largest non-life insurance provider in the private sector, today announced the launch of ‘my:health Woman Suraksha’ policy.
- The my:health Woman Suraksha policy is specially designed to cover women against numerous illnesses and contingencies they may face during their lifetime, thereby providing financial aid in case of medical contingencies.
- According to the National Health Portal of India, women in India face numerous health issues like breast cancer, malnutrition, lack of maternal health. This policy will cover various types of cancers and related surgeries, pregnancy and neonatal (newborn baby) complications and assaults and burns.
Source Business World
In 2018 India recorded the highest estimated number of cervical cancer deaths
- A report by Lancet Global Health said India recorded the highest estimated number of cervical cancer deaths in 2018.
- The report titles Estimates of incidence and mortality of cervical cancer in 2018: a worldwide analysis said that the global cervical cancer cases reported in India and China together contributed 35% of the global cases in 2018.
- India contributed with 97,000 cases and 60,000 deaths and China recorded over 106,000 cases and 48,000 deaths.
- The report stated that China had the highest number of cases, and India had the highest number of estimated cervical cancer deaths.
- The researchers used data from 185 countries in the Global Cancer Observatory 2018 database.
- The report said that the global scaling up of HPV vaccination and HPV-based screening has the potential to make cervical cancer a rare disease in the future.
Trump urges UNSC to address shared security threat, promote religious liberty
- The U.S. holds the monthly rotating presidency of the UN Security Council for December.
- U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday urged United Nations Security Council members to address shared security threats and promote religious liberty across the globe.
Source The Hindu
Former J&K governor advisor K Vijay Kumar appointed to MHA
Former advisor to the Governor of the erstwhile State of Jammu and Kashmir, K. Vijay Kumar, has been appointed as a senior security advisor in the Union Home Ministry headed by Amit Shah, an official order said.
Source The Hindu