Daily GK Update: 5th April 2020
FIFA postpones U-17 Women’s World Cup in India due to Covid-19 pandemic
- The FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup to be held in India in November was on Saturday postponed by the football’s world governing body due to the worsening COVID-19 pandemic.
- The women’s age group showpiece was to be held at five venues in the country from November 2-21.
- The decision was taken by the FIFA-Confederations working group which was recently established by the Bureau of the FIFA Council to address the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The working group decided to “postpone the FIFA Under-20 Women’s World Cup Panama/Costa Rica 2020 – originally scheduled for August/September 2020 – and the FIFA Under-17 Women’s World Cup India 2020 – originally scheduled for November 2020.”
Source: India Today
Unicef and Odisha govt launches talent hunt to engage kids during lockdown
- With schools closed down and all outdoor activities remained suspended due to lockdown to check the spread of coronavirus, it has become a daunting task for parents to keep children engaged at home. In a bid to engage children at the time of lockdown UNICEF in association with Odisha government launched Mo Pratibha, a series of creative skill competitions for children of different age groups.
- Children can take part in drawing, painting, poster, slogan, short story and poetry competitions upload their works and can get certificates every week.
Source: Times of India
Asian Youth Games to be held in China in November 2021
- The Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) on Wednesday said that the coastal city of Shantou in southern China will remain as hosts of the third Asian Youth Games that will be held from November 20 to 28, 2021.
- “The OCA while maintaining a very strict isolation policy is still continuing its activity and liaising with the various Asian Games Organizing Committee to ensure that the preparations for the Games are not hindered,” said OCA Director General Husain Al Musallam in a letter written to the Presidents and Secretary Generals of all Olympic bodies under its ambit.
- “In this respect I have the pleasure to inform you that the OCA in coordination with the Shantou 3rd Asian Youth Games Organizing Committee (SAYGOC) has decided the dates and sports programme of the 3rd Asian Youth Games.”
Source: The New Indian Express
Indian Railways develops low-cost ventilator ‘Jeevan’, seeks ICMR approval
- The Indian Railways has developed a low-cost ventilator, Jeevan, at its Kapurthala Rail Coach Factory that could save thousands of lives at a time the country is grappling with a shortage of the medical equipment in its fight against coronavirus.
- The prototype is now awaiting ICMR clearance to go into production, the Railways said.
- “It will cost around Rs 10,000 without the compressor. Once we have the ICMR approval, if we have all the materials, we will be able to produce 100 such ventilators a day,” Ravinder Gupta, general manager of the RCF and the brain behind Jeevan, told PTI.
Source: The Economic Times
ICMR approves TB machines for Covid-19 testing
- Diagnostic machines used to test drug-resistant tuberculosis (TB) have now been approved by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) for conducting Covid-19 tests.
- “ICMR has recommended use of Truenat beta CoV test on Truelab workstation validated by ICMR as a screening test. Also, use of US-FDA approved closed real time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) systems like GeneXpert and Roche Cobas – 6800/800 have been approved under emergency use,” ICMR has stated in its guidance.
Source: Business Line