Daily GK Update: 4th September 2020
“India’s P Iniyan wins World Open Online Chess Tournament”
- Indian Grandmaster P Iniyan has won the prestigious 48th Annual World Open online chess tournament.
- He scored 5 pointsout of a possible 9 with six victories and three draws to finish on top.
- A total number of 120 players from 16 countries participated in the event which included more than 30 Grandmasters.
- On the way to his title, Iniyan defeated Grandmasters Baadur Jobava of Georgia, Sam Sevian, Sergey Erenburg of the USA and Nyzhyk Illia of Ukraine.
Source: Daily Hunt
“IIPA organizes “National Tribal Research Conclave””
- The Union Minister for Tribal Affairs Shri Arjun Munda virtually inaugurated the two day National Tribal Research Conclave which is being held from 3-4 September 2020.
- The Conclave has been organized by the Centre of Excellence (CoE) for Tribal Affairs, Ministry of Tribal Affairs and Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA).
- The main objective of the conclave is to review the progress of various projects being implemented under different partnerships and the best practices to be show cased to all stakeholders
- The Conclave was attended by more than 100 participants from all over the country.
- This is the second workshop of its kind. First such workshop was organized in January 2020.
“ICICI Bank launches ‘Home Utsav’, a virtual property exhibition”
- ICICI Bank today announced the launch of ‘Home Utsav’, a virtual property exhibition that digitally showcases real estate projects by renowned developers from key cities across the country.
- The exhibition is available for everyone, including ICICI Bank’s customers and those who are not customers of the Bank.
- It offers them enhanced convenience, as they can simply browse through these projects online, from the comfort of their home and office.
- They can also avail exclusive offers such as attractive interest rates, special processing fees and digital sanction of loans, on buying a property through this exhibition.
Source: Live Mint
“Raj Srivastava appointed as India’s Ambassador to Republic of Croatia”
- Raj Kumar Srivastavahas been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Croatia.
- He is an IFS officer of 1997 batch and is presently serving as the Deputy Chief of Mission in the Embassy of India, Tokyo.
Source: Daily Hunt
“S Krishnan becomes new MD & CEO of Punjab & Sind Bank”
- State-owned Punjab & Sind Bank said the government has appointed S Krishnan as the managing director and chief executive officer of the lender.
- The Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Finance, through a notification dated September 3, 2020, appointed S Krishnan as MD and CEO of Punjab & Sind Bank
- Previously, Krishan served as the executive director of Syndicate Bank from November 2017 to March 2020 and executive director of Canara bank from April 2020 to September 3, 2020.
- He had joined Indian Bank in 1983. Krishnan has specialisation in credit, specifically corporate credit and risk management, the filing added.
Source: Outlook India
“Murali Ramakrishnan becomes new MD & CEO of South Indian Bank”
- Murali Ramakrishnan will take over as the new managing director & CEO of Kerala-based South India Bank.
- He retired from ICICI Bank as Senior General Manager at Strategic Project Group on May 30, 2020 and joined the Bank as an advisor on July 1, 2020.
- The bank got the Reserve Bank of India’s approval for the appointment for a period of three years with effect from October 1, 2020.
- During his tenure at ICICI Bank, in the last assignment, he was heading a business transformation project of SME business.
- Murali Ramakrishnan was Chief Executive Hong Kong and Regional Head-North Asia, Sri Lanka, Middle East, and Africa.
Source: Business Standards
“NTPC wins AIMA Chanakya National Management Games 2020”
- Team NTPC Vallur from Tamil Nadu has overcome stiff challenge to emerge as winner at the recently concludedAIMA Chanakya (Business Simulation Game)National Management Games(NMG)2020, an all India competition for corporates.
- The competition was organized by All IndiaManagementAssociation, a NTPC press release.
- The victory was also significant since NTPC won the prestigious NMG for the first time in five years.
- The team from NTPC Vallur, Tamil Nadu achieved the feat of being crowned the national champion after competing against teams from 112 organisations from different parts of the country.
- Team NTPC Vallur qualified for the regional rounds, which was held online and subsequently qualified for the finals.
Source: Outlook India
“Saudi Arabia chairs G20 Foreign Ministers’ Extraordinary Meeting”
- The G20 Foreign Ministers’ Extraordinary Meeting was held on 3 September 2020 under the current Chair, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, in the backdrop of the COVID-19 pandemic crisis.
- The Minister of Foreign Affairs of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, His Highness Prince Faisal Bin Farhan Al-Saud, chaired the virtual meeting.
- From India External Affairs Minister Dr. S. Jaishankar represented the meeting.
- The discussions were held on strengthening international cooperation across borders in wake of COVID-19 crisis.
- S. Jaishankar also proposed development of voluntary ‘G20 Principles on Coordinated Cross-Border Movement of People’ with three elements:
- Standardisation of testing procedures and universal acceptability of test results;
- Standardisation of ‘Quarantine procedures’;
- Standardisation of ‘movement and transit’ protocols.
“A new book titled “Let Us Dream” by Pope Francis”
- Pope Francisis set to release the book “Let Us Dream” in December 2020.
- In the book, Pope Francis explains how a crisis can teach an individual to deal with problems they face in their lives.
- He cites three major crises from his own personal life.
- The book will be an outcome of numerous exchanges between Pope Francis and his Biographer Austen Ivereigh in the weeks following the Coronavirus outbreak around the world.
- Austen Ivereigh is a Roman Catholic Journalist, Commentator, the author based out of Britain.
- The book is being published by Simon & Schusterand will be released in English and Spanish Editions simultaneously.
Source: Daily Hunt
“Former England Cricketer David Capel passes away”
- David Capel, the former cricket allrounder who played 15 Tests and 23 one-day internationals for England from 1987-1990, has died after a long illness.
- He was 57.
- Northamptonshire, the English county side where Capel spent 32 consecutive years as a player and then coach, announced he died at his home.
- The team said Capel had been diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2018.
- Capel made 270 first-class appearances for Northamptonshire from 1981-1998 and became the first cricketer born in the county to play a test for England in 77 years when he made his debut against Pakistan in July 1987.
Source: Hindustan Times