Daily GK Update: 4th December 2019
Fourth Phase of UDAN scheme launched
- The Union Government of India has launched the fourth round of UDAN (Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik) to enhance the connectivity to regional areas of the country.
- This phase is to focus on Hilly states, North East Region, Ladakh, Jammu and Kashmir and Islands.
SPG (Amendment) Bill passed in Parliament
- The SPG amendment bill says that when the SPG cover is withdrawn from a former Prime Minister, the cover also stands withdrawn from his or her family members.
- The bill was passed in the parliament on December 3, 2019. The bill aimed at amending the Special Protection Group act, 1988.
GoI halts online drug sales
The Government of India has halted online sales of drugs as it is working on framing rules to regulate the sector. This has hit the pharmacy sector greatly.
Winner of 2019 Ballon d’Or awards
- Winners of 2019 Ballon d’Or awards (“Golden Ball”) which recognises the best footballer in world for 2019, were announced by France Football magazine in Paris on 2 December 2019.
- This year was the 64th annual ceremony of Ballon d’Or, presented by France Football. The nominees for awards were announced on 6 November 2019.
- A total of 176 international journalists voted for 2019 edition of Football Awards, with journalists from Europe and Asia voting for van Dijk, while journalists from Africa, Oceania and North and South America voted for Messi.
New Zealand win 2019 Christopher Martin-Jenkins Spirit of Cricket award
- The national cricket team of New Zealand was awarded the Christopher Martin-Jenkins Spirit of Cricket award for the year 2019.
- New Zealand’s team captain Kane Williamson was presented with the award during the drawn second Test between his team and England.
Organ Donation Awards given by NOTTO
The autonomous organisation National Organ and Tissue Transplant Organisation (NOTTO) of Union Health & Family Welfare Ministry (MoHFW) conferred, Organ Donation Awards on the occasion of 10th National Organ Donation Day in a programme held at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi. During the programme, the organs donor families were honoured and Best SOTTO (State Organ Tissue Transplant Organisation), Best Hospital and Best Transplant Co-ordinator awards were presented for outstanding activities in field of organ donation at national and state level.
Mumbai Central railway station certified as country’s first ‘Eat Right’
The Mumbai Central Terminus of Western Railway has been certified as India’s first ‘Eat Right Station’ with a 4-Star rating awarded by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), as a part of ‘Eat Right India’ movement launched in 2018. FSSAI is an autonomous body under Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW).
Ministry of Tourism sanctions 18 North East Development Project
- The Ministry of Tourism on December 3, 2019 sanctioned 18 projects under the schemes PRASHAD and Swadesh Darshan.
- The Ministry has also allocated Rs 1456 crores for the projects.
India, Sweden join hands to set up Healthcare Innovation Centre in India
India and Sweden has joined hands to set up a healthcare innovation centre to promote research, broadly in non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and help scale-up Indian start-ups in the sector. Later, AIIMS, Delhi; AIIMS, Jodhpur, and Swedish Trade Commissioner’s Office in New Delhi signed a Memorandum of Intent (MoI) to cement cooperation, to set up a healthcare innovation centre. The signing of MoI marks 10 years of India-Sweden health cooperation.
CSIR Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Test gets US FDA certification
- The CSIR-IICT, Hyderabad on December 3, 2019, announced that the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) cleared the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Test facility at the centre.
- The inspection was conducted between August 21, 2019 and August 22, 2019 with regard to Current Good Manufacturing Practices and was certified “No Action Initiated”.
Delhi enters list of top 10 most popular destinations in the world
- The National Capital has been witnessing soaring popularity and wellness tourism across the world. According to Euro Monitor International, Delhi currently ranks 11th in the list of world’s tops 100 destinations and is to gain 8th rank in 2019.
- The ranking was released by the organization on December 3, 2019 under the title “Top 100 city destination ranking”
Bharatiya Poshan Anthem launched by Vice President M Venkaiah
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu launched the ‘Bharatiya Poshan Anthem’ in New Delhi, which aims towrads taking message of making India malnutrition free to all corners of country. While launching, Vice president hoped that the ‘poshan anthem’ will lead to a nutrition revolution to transform India into a malnutrition-free country by 2022.
- The anthem was conceptualised by Union Ministry of Women and Child Development (MoWCD) and has been penned by noted lyricist Prasoon Joshi and sung by Shankar Mahadevan.
India plans to boost clean energy sector
- The Government of India is planning to integrate largest lenders to the power sector in order to help clean energy firms clear their dues. It includes Rural Electrification Corporation (REC), Power Finance Corporation (PFC) and Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA).
- The integration will help resolve growing crisis in the clean energy sector and also aid India achieve its ambitious targets in renewable energy.
India conducts successful trial of indigenously made Prithvi-2 missile
- India has successfully conducted another night trial of its indigenously developed nuclear capable Prithvi-2 missile from a mobile launcher of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha coast.
- The successful test fires were part of a routine user trial for armed forces and met all parameters. Earlier, the flight test of surface-to-surface missile was carried out barely a 15 days after two back-to-back trials of Prithvi-2 were conducted successfully at night from same base on 20 November.
Prohibition of Electronic Cigarettes Bill, 2019 passed by Parliament
- The Prohibition of Electronic Cigarettes (Production, Manufacture, Import, Export, Transport, Sale, Distribution, Storage, and Advertisement) Bill, 2019 was passed by Parliament on 3 December 2019. It was introduced in Lok Sabha by Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- The Bill which seeks to prohibits the production, storage, trade, and advertisement of electronic cigarettes, replaces an Ordinance promulgated in September 2019.