Daily GK Update: 4th August 2020
“Irfaan Ali sworn in as President of Guyana”
- Former Guyanese housing minister Irfaan Ali was sworn in as president of the newly oil-producing South American country on Sunday, after he was declared winner of a disputed March 2 election following a recount.
- Preliminary recount data released in June showed Ali, a member of the opposition People’s Progressive Party (PPP), had won the initial poll, and Washington last month called on current President David Granger to resign.
- The final result comes months after a consortium led by Exxon Mobil Corp began producing oil off Guyana’s coast, turning the impoverished country of fewer than 800,000 people into the world’s newest crude hot spot and promising to boost growth in the agriculture- and mining-dependent economy.
Source: The Indian Express
“Senior BJP Leader P Manikyala Rao passes away in Vijayawada”
- Senior BJP leader and former minister P Manikyala Rao died of coronavirus in a private hospital in Vijayawada on Saturday.
- He was 59 and is survived by his wife and a daughter.
- Rao, who was elected to Andhra Pradesh Assembly from Tadepalligudem in 2014, served as Endowments Minister in Chandrababu Naidu Cabinet till 2018 and resigned when the two allies snapped ties.
- He contested the 2019 election from Narsapuram Lok Sabha constituency but lost.
- Rao started off as an RSS karyakarta and later became a member of the BJP.
Source: India Today
“Nitish Kumar releases book titled Siyasat Mein Sadasyata”
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Sunday released a book – a compilation of articles, views and life journey – of Bihar Assembly Speaker Vijay Kumar Choudhary.
- Kumar released the book titled “Siyasat Mein Sadasyata” at his official residence, 1 Aney Marg here.
- The book published by Bihar Assembly Secretariat is a compilation of Choudhary”s views, three dozen articles on different important issues and his life journey.
- Choudhary – while mentioning about the chief minister”s merits and his works – wrote that “If anyone wants to look for human quality in a leader, one can remember Nitish Kumar in times of disaster.
- The book is compiled and edited by senior journalist Arvind Sharma while its preface has been written by another senior journalist Vinod Bandhu.
Source: Outlook India
“Bharat Air Fibre Services launches for Wireless Internet Connections”
- With the inauguration of the Bharat Air Fibre services, the residents of Akola and Washim districts of Maharashtra will get wireless internet connections.
- Inaugurated by Union Minister Sanjay Dhotre on Sunday, the services have been introduced by Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) as part of the Centre’s digital India initiative.
- The aim of these services is to provide wireless connectivity in the range of 20 km from the BSNL locations.
- It will help the customers at remote places as the state-owned telecom company comes with the cheapest services with the support of Telecom Infrastructure Partners (TIPs).
- The BSNL is providing the Bharat Air Fibre Services through its local business partners from Akola and Washim District.
Source: Business World
“SEBI to develop virtual museum for security market”
- Regulator Sebi is planning to set up a virtual museum of securities market to highlight achievements and milestones in the Indian capital market.
- In a notice, Sebi has invited Expression of Interest (EoI) from agencies to develop the virtual museum.
- The museum is intended to be a visual online organised collection of history of evolution, achievements and milestones in the Indian securities market over the decades in terms of market infrastructure, regulation and enforcement, among others
- The achievements will be told through photos, videos, articles, media clippings, interactive display like quiz, paintings, drawings, diagrams, graphs, newspaper articles, transcripts of interviews and numerical databases, among others.
Source: Economic Times
“Govt frames draft Defence Production & Export Promotion Policy 2020”
- The DPEPP-2020 is envisaged as overarching guiding document of Defence Ministry to provide a focused, structured and significant thrust to defence production capabilities of the country for self-reliance and exports.
- Defence Production and Export Promotion Policy 2020 has marked out clear goals and objectives to be undertaken by the Defence Ministry.
- First and foremost amongst all is to achieve a turnover of Rs. 1 lakh 75 thousand Crore including an export of Rs. 35 thousand Crore in the Aerospace and Defence goods and services by the year 2025.
- The Ministry has also laid emphasis on reducing dependence on imports and taking forward the Make in India initiatives through domestic designs.
- Defence Ministry has solicited comments on the draft DPEPP-2020 policy from all stakeholders latest by 17th of August this year.
Source: DD News
“MoD signs MoU with IIT Kanpur and Dept of ARPG”
- The Defence Ministry said it signed a tripartite MOU on Tuesday with the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur and the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG) to develop artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques to conduct predictive analysis of public grievances.
- The project is expected to help the MOD (Ministry of Defence) to identify the cause and nature of grievances and bring about systemic changes and policy interventions wherever required
- The statement said the memorandum of understanding (MOU) was signed in the presence of Rajnath Singh, Minister of Defence, and Jitendra Singh, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Prime Minister”s Office, Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.
- The DARPG, the nodal department that is custodian of data of CPGRAMS portal, will provide the MOD”s data dump to the IIT Kanpur to facilitate their analysis
Source: Outlook India
“MSME Minister to launches Khadi Agarbatti Atmanirbhar Mission”
- Union Minister for MSME Nitin Gadkari has approved a unique employment generation program proposed by Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) to make India Aatmanirbhar in Agarbatti production
- Named as Khadi Agarbatti Aatmanirbhar Mission (KAAM), the programme aims to create jobs for unemployed and migrant workers across the country while increasing domestic Agarbatti production substantially.
- KVIC had submitted the for KAAM to the Ministry of MSME for approval in July.
- Soon, a pilot project will be launched soon and on full-fledged implementation of the project, thousands of jobs will be created in the Agarbatti industry
Source: Financial Express
“Indian Hockey Team to join National Camp for Tokyo Olympics”
- Members of the Indian men’s and women’s hockey teams bound for Tokyo Olympics will join the National Camp at National Centre of Excellence (NCOE) in Bengaluru
- The decision was taken by Sports Authority of India (SAI) after formal permission was received from the State Government to begin training in Bengaluru.
- The athletes, coaches and support staff, who were on a home break, will join the camp and undergo the mandatory 14-day quarantine inside the campus.
- Considering the rising number of COVID-19 cases in Bengaluru, the permission from the State Government has been given subject to all arriving athletes, coaches and support staff adhering to institutional quarantine protocols issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs
Source: News On Air
“Tripura CM Biplab Kumar Deb self-isolates after family members test corona positive”
- Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Deb is in self-isolation after two members of his family tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
- Mr Deb further said that he had gone into self-isolation at his residence and that “all precautionary measures have been taken”.
- the Chief Minister said other members had tested negative and that he was waiting on the results of his COVID-19 test.
- On Sunday both Union Home Minister Amit Shah and Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa announced that they had tested positive.