Daily GK Update: 3rd September 2020
“Union Cabinet approves “Mission Karmayogi” NPCSCB”
- The Union Cabinet today approved Mission Karamyogi which aims at building future-ready civil service with the right attitude, skills & knowledge, aligned to the vision of New India.
- Karmayogi mission is Officially called – “National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building” which aims at transforming human resource management in the country .
- In another key decision , the Union Cabinet today approved Urdu among 5 official languages of JK.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved launching of a National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building or the NPCSCB.
Source: DD News
“Government of India Blocks 118 Mobile Apps”
- Indian government on Wednesday blocked 118 more mobile applications, including PUBG, in the interest of “sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order” by invoking Section 69 of Information Technology Act.
- The banned apps include Baidu, Baidu Express Edition, Tencent Watchlist, FaceU, WeChat Reading, Ludo All Star, Alipay and Tencent Weiyun, besides PUBG Mobile and PUBG Mobile Lite, according to an official statement.
- This move will safeguard the interests of crores of Indian mobile and internet users.
- This decision is a targeted move to ensure safety, security and sovereignty of Indian cyberspace.
Source: Live Mint
“Ladakh, Lakshadweep joins ‘One Nation-One Ration Card’ scheme”
- Ladakh and Lakshadweep have been integrated in the existing national portability cluster of One Nation One Ration Card.
- The Consumer Affairs Ministry said that both the Union Territories have completed the trial and testing of national portability transactions with other States and UTs in the national cluster.
- With this, a total of 26 States and UTs are now seamlessly connected with each other under the One Nation One Ration Card plan.
- The Ministry said that migratory PDS beneficiaries in these 26 States and UTs can access their subsidised foodgrains from any Fair Price Shop of their choice from today.
- A total of more than 65 Crore beneficiaries are now enabled with an option to lift their subsidised foodgrains through One Nation One Ration Card system.
Source: News On Air
“Union Power Minister RK Singh launches “Green Term Ahead Market””
- Union Minister R K Singh launched the Green Term Ahead Market (GTAM) for electricity, a move that will lead to an increase in the participants in the renewable energy sector.
- The initiative will also help in achieving the renewable energy(RE) capacity addition targets of the country.
- The introduction of GTAM platform would lessen the burden on RE-rich states and incentivize them to develop RE capacity beyond their own RPO (Renewable Purchase Obligation).
- This would promote RE merchant capacity addition and help in achieving RE capacity addition targets of the country
- The initiative will also benefit RE sellers by providing access to the market across India.
Source: Outlook India
“Madhya Pradesh govt launches ‘Gandagi Bharat Chhodo’ campaign”
- In Madhya Pradesh, a massive ‘Gandagi Bharat Chhodo’ campaign was launched by the State Government.
- Urban Development and Housing Minister Bhupendra Singh said that this campaign has been given the shape of a mass movement.
- The campaign was divided into five themes- Cleanliness Oath, Continuous reduction in urban waste emissions, Cleanliness in COVID conditions, Separation of waste from sources of houses and Launching a special cleanliness campaign for public places.
- Around 35 lakh citizens took part in the campaign in 378 urban bodies in Madhya Pradesh.
- More than 7 lakh citizens took the oath of maintaining cleanliness during the campaign.
- While, eight lakh 70 thousand people were approached to make compost from wet waste.
- Four lakh 65 thousand masks were distributed with the help of citizens under the mask awareness campaign.
Source: News On Air
“ACC approves appointment of V K Yadav as CEO of Railway Board”
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of the current chairman of the Railway Board VK Yadav as the CEO, making him the first to hold such a post in the railway’s history.
- The Cabinet had earlier approved the restructuring of the Railway Board, whose strength has been cut from eight to five, as part of large scale reforms initiated by the national transporter.
- While Yadav has been appointed Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Pradeep Kumar has been appointed Member, Infrastructure, PC Sharma has been appointed Member, Traction and Rolling Stock, PS Mishara has been made Member, Operations and Business Development, Manjula Rangarajan has been appointed Member, Finance.
Source: Business Standard
“Hyderabad International Airport wins CII-GBC ‘National Energy Leader’ award”
- The Hyderabad International Airport or GMR led Rajiv Gandhi International Airport won the ‘National Energy Leader’ and ‘Excellent Energy Efficient Unit’ awards at the 21st National Awards for ‘Excellence in Energy Management’.
- Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited-Vizag Steel Plant (RINL-VSP) has also been awarded ‘Excellent Energy Efficient Unit’ award by CII-GBC in national award competition for excellence in energy management.
- The ‘National Awards for Excellence in Energy Management’ is instituted by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Godrej Green Business Centre (GBC) to recognize significant and innovative practices of the energy efficiency sector, for the energy-efficient and sustainable growth of the Indian industry.
Source: Daily Hunt
“India ranks 48th in Global Innovation Index 2020”
- India climbed four spots on the Global Innovation Index 2020 and is now at 48th position in the list of top 50 innovative countries in the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) annual ranking.
- Switzerland, Sweden, US, UK and Netherlands are in the top spots of this year’s ranking.
- According to an official release, India occupied the 52nd position in 2019 and was ranked 81st in the year 2015.
- The WIPO had also accepted India as one of the leading innovation achievers of 2019 in the central and southern Asian region, as it has shown a consistent improvement in its innovation ranking for the last 5 years.
- The India Innovation Index, which was released last year by the NITI Aayog, has been widely accepted as the major step in the direction of decentralization of innovation across all the states of India.
Source: Live Mint
“Union Cabinet approves J&K official languages Bill 2020”
- The Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister has approved the introduction in Parliament of the Jammu and Kashmir Official Languages Bill 2020 in which five languages will be official languages.
- These are Urdu, Kashmiri, Dogri, Hindi and English.
- Briefing the media, Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh said inclusion of Dogri, Hindi and Kashmiri as official languages in Jammu and Kashmir is not only a fulfillment of a long-pending public demand but is also in keeping with the spirit of equality.
Source: News On Air
“Jal Shakti Ministry launched ‘Water Heroes’ Contest”
- The Jal Shakti ministry has launched a “Water Heroes” contest with an aim to reach out to people with the important message of water conservation and management
- One of the primary objectives of the Ministry of Jal Shakti is to make water conservation a people’s movement and strengthen the water consciousness in the country.
- The contest hopes to encourage people and collect best practices in water conservation from across the country.
- Every month (from September onwards), entries would be invited for the awards
- A maximum of 10 entries can be considered for the awards every month.
- The participants can share their videos (with the link of their YouTube videos) on the MyGov portal — www.mygov.in
Source: Deccan Herald