Daily GK Update: 3rd December 2019
“India Ranking Society” established to rank educational institutes
- On December 2, 2019, the Ministry of Human Resource Development informed Lok Sabha that the “Indian Ranking Society” was approved by the ministry in August 2019.
- The aim of the society is to develop methodologies and systems to rank higher educational institutions in the country.
- The proposal was approved in the 127th meeting of the AICTE Executive Council.
Labour Ministry is celebrating Pension Week
- The Labor Ministry is celebrating pension week from November 30, 2019 to December 6, 2019 in order to increase enrolments under National Pension Scheme (NPS) for traders and Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan (PM-SYM).
- The aim of the celebration is to enroll 1 crore beneficiaries under PMSYM and 50 lakh beneficiaries under NPS-traders.
Pritivirajsing Roopun elected as new President of Mauritius by parliament
- The National Assembly of Republic of Mauritius has unanimously elected Prithvirajsing Roopun, as new President of the island nation, a largely ceremonial post. He was former arts and culture minister of country.
- The motion for his election as new President was presented by Prime Minister, Home Affairs and External Communications, Minister of Defence, Minister for Rodrigues, Outer Islands and Territorial Integrity.
- In Mauritius, Prime Minister is head of government and holds most political power while president is head of state but has no executive role and is considered guardian of constitution.
Lok Sabha clears Taxation (Amendment) bill, 2019
- On December 2, 2019, Lok Sabha passed the Taxation Laws (Amendment) bill, 2019.
- The main objective of the bill is to provide an option for the domestic companies to pay taxes at the rate of 22%.
Ekalavya model residential schools modernised
- On December 2, 2019, the Ministry of Tribal Affairs provided financial assistance for the upgradation and modernization of the Ekalavya Model Residential Schools (EMRS).
- Each school is to be provided with a net amount of Rs 5 crores.
Intensified Mission Indra Dhanush 2.0 begins
- Government has launched its flagship scheme ‘Intensified Mission Indradhanush 2.0’ to focus on full immunization coverage of 272 districts spread over 27 states and 652 blocks of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar among hard-to-reach and tribal populations.
- The Mission Indradhanush 2.0 will be carried out between December 2019 and March 2020.
GoI maps Tiger Corridors in the country
- On December 2, 2019, the Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change provided the details of tiger corridor mapping in Rajya Sabha.
- The corridors were mapped by the National Tiger Conservation Authority and Wildlife Institute of India. The institutes have mapped 32 corridors in all.
Shakti Bhatt First Book Prize 2019: Author Tony Joseph book ‘Early Indians’ wins
- English author Tony Joseph has won 12th ‘Shakti Bhatt First Book Prize’ for his 2018 book, ‘Early Indians: The Story of Our Ancestors and Where We Came’.
- Tony Joseph, a journalist-author won against four other debut writers and the award was announced Shakti Bhatt Foundation.
Punjab creates land banks to boost industrial production
The Punjab cabinet on December 2, 2019, approved the amendment of Punjab Village Common Land (Regulation) rules, 1964. It aims at creating land banks in rural areas to boost industrial development in the state.
Report: Kharif crop production to dip by 12%
- On December 3, 2019, a private weather monitoring company, Skymet released a report on Kharif Crop outlook.
- According to the report, barring cotton the Kharif crops are expected to witness a drop-in production by 4.5% to 12% as compared to 2018-19.
Sub-lieutenant Shivangi: India Navy’s First Woman Pilot
The Indian Navy got its first woman pilot (a front-line combat role) as ‘Sub-Lieutenant Shivangi’ completed her operational training in Kochi, Kerala. She received her ‘golden wings’ from Vice Admiral AK Chawla, and will fly the Naval Dornier surveillance aircraft.
National Awards for Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities 2019
- Vice President of India M. Venkiah Naidu conferred ‘National Awards for Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities 2019’ at a function organized by Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), Union Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment to celebrate ‘International Day of Persons with Disabilities’ celebrated on 3 December 2019 in Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
- Vice President was the Chief Guest of the function while Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot presided over the function.
India’s first Maritime Museum in Gujarat
- The Government of India is planning to establish a National Maritime Heritage Museum at Lothal in Gujarat.
- The museum will also act as an independent research center for archaeology of boat building, reconstruction of maritime history and materials traded. It will hold display of salvaged materials from shipwreck sites in Indian Ocean waters.
Soma Roy Burman appointed new Controller General of Accounts
Government has appointed Soma Roy Burman, as 24th Controller General of Accounts (CGA) of India with effect from 1 December 2019. With this appointment she has now become 7th woman to hold this position.
December 3: International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- The International Day of Persons with Disabilities is being observed by the United Nations since 1992.
- The aim of the day is to promote well-being of the persons with disabilities and to increase awareness of their situation in social, political cultural and economic ways.
SURYA KIRAN – XIV: Indo-Nepal joint military Exercise
The 2019 edition of Joint military exercise between India and Nepal called ‘SURYA KIRAN – XIV’, will be conducted at Salijhandi, Rupendehi district of Nepal from 3 to 16 December 2019. It is an annual event which is conducted alternatively in Nepal and India.
Awards for first ever CMS Vatavaran-2019 presented
The Awards for first-ever MoEF&CC and CMS VATAVARAN-2019 Short Film Competition and Festival on Environment was presented in New Delhi. The awards were presented by Ravi Agrawal, Additional Secretary, Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) at culmination of four-day festival where all shortlisted films were showcased.