Daily GK Update: 3rd August 2020
“Ek Mask-Anek Zindagi’ drive begins in MP”
- A public awareness campaign called ‘Ek Mask-Anek Zindagi’ means one mask-many lives will be conducted from today till August 15 in many districts of Madhya Pradesh.
- During this campaign, people will be informed about measures to prevent COVID-19 infection.
- The Municipal Corporation will also run a public awareness chariot in the city on the same theme.
- Khandwa Municipal Commissioner Himanshu Bhatt said that masks are the simplest and most effective means to prevent Corona infection.
Source: News On Air
“IOCL To Invest Rs 13,805 Cr To Set Up New Plant In Odisha”
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL) will invest Rs 13,805 crore to set up a plant in Odisha’s Paradip to manufacture raw materials for the textile sector.
- The project is expected to be completed by 2024.
- The paraxylene (PX) and purified terephthalic acid (PTA) plant will be integrated with the IOCL’s refinery facility in the port town of Jagatsinghpur district.
- The project will generate approximately five million man-days of employment over the three-year plant construction period.
- The capacity of PTA production would be 1 200,000 tonne per annum.
- PTA is a raw material for the production of polyester.
Source: Financial Express
“Nitin Gadkari inaugurated upstream carriageway of Mahatma Gandhi bridge in Bihar”
- Road, Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari today inaugurated the upstream carriageway of Mahatma Gandhi bridge over river Ganga in Bihar through video conference.
- Over 5.5 kilometres long, the four lane bridge lies on NH-19 between Patna and Hajipur.
- It is being constructed at a cost of one thousand 742 crore rupees.
- It involves replacement of the existing concrete superstructure of old bridge by new steel deck superstructure.
- The work on the bridge was started in June 2017.
Source: News On Air
“HP appoints Ketan Patel as India MD”
- Computer electronics major HP has appointed Ketan Patel as the Managing Director of the ‘Greater India’ region and he will be responsible for India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
- Patel replaces Vinay Awasthi who is moving to a new role as Head of Print Operations for Supply Chain.
- As per his Linkedin profile Awasthi took over the role only nine months ago.
- Patel will report to Christoph Schell, HP Chief Commercial Officer from August 1.
Source: The Economic Times
“World Breastfeeding Week 2020 – August 1 to 7”
- It is celebrated annually from 1-7 August to encourage breastfeeding and improve the babies’ health around the world.
- Breastfeeding is important for a child as it provides the best possible start in life.
- The theme for ths year is “Support breastfeeding for a healthier planet”.
- Along with the theme, WHO and UNICEF are focusing on the counselling and calling governments to protect and promote women’s access to skilled breastfeeding counselling which is an important component for supporting breastfeeding.
Source: Jagaran Josh
“Sanskrit Diwas 2020”
- Considered to be one of the oldest languages in the world, Sanskrit has a day dedicated to its celebration.
- Every year, Sanskrit Diwas, also known as ‘Vishvasamskritadinam’is celebrated around this time of the year.
- According to the Hindu calendar, it is celebrated on the poornima(full moon) of the ‘Shravana‘ month.
- The day promotes the revival of this ancient Indian language.
- This year, it is being celebrated on August 3.
Source: Indian Express
“Sahitya Akademi Awardee Sa. Kandasamy passed away”
- Tamil novelist, documentary filmmaker and Sahitya Akademi awardee Sa Kandasamy passed away in Chennai.
- He was 80.
- He was undergoing treatment in a private hospital in the city and suffered a heart attack.
- He is survived by his wife, two sons and a daughter.
- Born in Mayiladuthurai, Tamil Nadu on July 31, 1940, Kandasamy got his first break in the literary world in 1968, when his novel ‘Saayavanam Puthinam’ was published. He has written at least seven novels and 11 short stories in his lifetime.
- Kaaval deivangal, a documentary based on his study of south Indian terracotta, made by Doordarshan, won the top honours at the Cyprus Angino Film Festival in Nicosia in 1989.
- He was awarded the Sahitya Akademi award in 1998 for his Tamil novel ‘Visaaranai Commission’.
Source: The News Minute
“Kona Kona Umeed” Campaign started by Kotak Mahindra Bank”
- Kotak Mahindra Bankhas announced the launch of a two-month-long campaign called ‘Kona Kona Umeed’ with huge offers and discounts to lift up hope and optimism among its customers in the midst of the Coronavirus pandemic.
- Called Kona Kona Umeed, it also includes competitive rates and attractive offers across customer segments including retail, business and agri segments.
- While the upcoming festival season is expected to be relatively low-key, with Kona Kona Umeedour intent is to give a boost to consumer demand and lift people’s spirits during this incredibly tough time, by making banking and shopping more rewarding for our customers
Source: The Hindu Business Line
“Bank of Baroda Credit Card offers EMIs on PoS Terminals in partnership with Innoviti”
- Bank of Baroda Credit Card customers get another unique offering in terms of convenient and affordable EMI options, as BOB Financial Solutions Limited ties up with Innoviti Payment Solutions.
- The Bank of Baroda credit cardholders pan Indiawould be serviced at 70,000+ Innoviti PoS terminals across 1,000+ cities.
- During today’s times of COVID crisis, consumers are cautious about their spending and yet would need affordable options in essential categories such as healthcare, education, IT (computers and laptops), and furniture & kitchen appliances.
- This new partnership will help Bank of Baroda credit card holders’ access to EMIs that can be repaid conveniently through their credit cards.
Source: Paper News Network
“Andhra Pradesh Launches ‘E-Rakshabandhan’ For Cybercrime Awareness”
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy on Monday launched ‘E-RakshaBandhan’ campaign aimed at creating public awareness on cyber crimes against women and children.
- The virtual cybercrime awareness programme — jointly developed by Andhra Pradesh Police and Crime Investigation Department (CID), will focus on ensuring the safety of women and children in cyberspace.
- Partnered with Cyber Crime Prevention Against Women and Children (CCPWC), Cyber Peace Foundation, and other organisations, the police department will be organising the month-long online awareness drive.
- It is aimed at creating awareness among the public on the sharp rise in cybercrime.
Source: News 18