Daily GK Update: 31st December 2019
Army Chief General Bipin Rawat appointed as Chief of Defence Staff
Army Chief General Bipin Rawat has been appointed as the new Chief of Defence Staff by the government on Monday. With him being the CDS, smooth coordination among the army, air force and navy is expected to happen, as tri-services agencies on cyber and space came up during his tenure as the Army Chief. Importantly, some of the strongest military actions against Pakistan have taken place during his tenure, with stiff resistance being given to Chinese military aggression along the India-China border.
Source: The Economic Times
Government launches web portal to block stolen, lost mobile phones
- The government has launched a web portal, ‘Central Equipment Identity Register (CEIR)’, to facilitate blocking and tracing of stolen/lost mobile phones in Delhi.
- At the launch on Wednesday, Ravi Shankar Prasad, Minister for Communications, Law & Justice and Electronics & Information Technology said that mobile security should be a national priority because the mobile handset has become an important tool for all online activities.
Source: The Hindu Business Line
Sustainable Development Goal Index
- The SDG India Index, launched last year by Niti Aayog with the help of United Nations, took into account 16 out of 17 goals specified by the United Nations as SDGs .
- The Index this year ranked states based on 54 targets spread over 100 indicators out of 306 outlined by the UN.
- The first report, which was launched in 2018 had 13 goals and 39 indicators.
- The year 2020 will be the fifth anniversary of the adoption of SDGs by 193 countries at the UN General Assembly.
- The SDGs, constituted through an unprecedented consultative process, have 17 goals and 169 related targets to be achieved by 2030.
Source: Insights on India