Daily GK Update: 31st August 2020
“UP Government launches “Major Dhyan Chand Vijaypath Yojana””
- “Major Dhyan Chand Vijaypath Yojana” has been launched by the Uttar Pradesh government.
- Under this scheme, 19 international playersfrom the state of Uttar Pradesh will get road connectivity to their houses.
- The 19 international players who will be benefited from the scheme includes Indian pacer Bhuvneshwar Kumar, former pacer Praveen Kumar, Piyush Chawla and Mohammad Kaif.
- The initial list of the beneficiaries includes 19 players, and more players will be added to the scheme in the coming future.
Source: Daily Hunt
“India’s 1st International Women’s Trade Centre to be set up in Kerala”
- Kerala will set up India’s first international women’s trade centre (WTC), in consonance with the United Nations sustainable development goals (SDGs), at Angamaly.
- This initiative aims to accelerate women entrepreneurship and secure gender parity while providing women with a safe place away from home to start new businesses, set up or expand, and get their products marketed globally.
- Besides serving as a facilitator to launch their own ventures, WTC will enable women entrepreneurs to come forward and participate in international trade, enjoy greater economic benefits and enhance their competitiveness to tap market opportunities.
- REACH or Resource Enhancement Academy for Career Heights is also aimed at empowering women with the required life-skills to ensure success in life.
Source: The New Indian Express
“UAE’s DMCC launches “Agriota E-Marketplace””
- The United Arab Emirates has launched‘Agriota’, an e-market platform to bridge the gap between Indian farmers and its food industry.
- Agriota is a new technology-driven agri-commodity trading and sourcing e-market platform, which will allow the rural farmers in India to bypass intermediaries, optimise the supply chain and ensure traceability to create value for all stakeholders.
- The initiative was launched earlier this week by the government of Dubai’s authority on commodities trade and enterprise and Dubai’s free-zone Dubai Multi Commodities Centre (DMCC).
Source: Jagaran Josh
“Gujarat to commence Seaplane service from 31 October 2020”
- The Gujarat government has officially announced the inauguration of the first ever sea plane service in the state from October 31 — which marks the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- The inaugural flight will take off from Sabarmati Riverfront in Ahmedabad to the Statue of Unityin Kevadia colony in Narmada district, to be operated by private airline SpiceJet.
- The service may be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Source: The Indian Express
“India & Russia jointly wins FIDE Online Chess Olympiad”
- The India team at the FIDE Online Olympiad created history on 30 August by winning its first ever gold.
- However, in another first, this was shared with Russia, following an internet failure that affected two games.
- India, their opponent in the finals and seeded seventh, had had a dream run at the Olympiad until then.
- Teenage grandmasters (GM) Nihal Sarin and R Praggnanandhaa led them to the quarterfinals; Koneru Humpy, women’s chess #2, put up a steely performance at a tie-breaker match to seal a berth in the finals.
- The Indian team boasted of some of the best minds in world chess, including Anand, team captain Vidit Gujrathi and Pentala Harikrishna.
Source: Live Mint
“International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances: 30 August”
- On 30 August, the international community celebrates the International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances.
- On this day, Argentina and France recall their firm commitment to combating impunity as regards forced disappearances, and their thoughts go out to victims and their families.
- These serious human rights violations are unacceptable and must be condemned by the international community.
- The 2006 International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance is considered a fundamental human rights treaty, providing important preventive measures and enabling greater cooperation and mutual legal assistance in criminal matters.
“CISF develops in-house mobile app “Pensioners Corner””
- The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) on Friday launched a mobile application for its pensioners as part of an e-office initiative introduced in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The pensioner’s corner app will be available in both web and Android platforms with the facility for pensioners to access their data on the move.
- The new app will also have an SMS invitation system for the pensioners on important events happening at their nearest CISF unit.
- He said the force has about 36,000 pensioners at present and an IOS version of the app for Apple phones will be developed soon.
Source: Outlook India
“Veteran Athletic coach Purushotham Rai passes away”
- India’s formerathletic coach Purushotham Rai passed away.
- The former coach passed away a few hours before receiving theDronacharya Award, the highest sporting award for a coach in India.
- He became the third personfrom the state of Karnataka to win Dronacharya award in Athletics.
- He coached number of top athletes namely Olympian quarter-miler Vandana Rao, heptathlete Pramila Aiyappa, Ashwini Nachappa, Murali Kuttan, MK Asha, EB Shyla, Rosa Kutty and GG Pramila.
Source: Daily Hunt
“State Bank of India gets global recognition for HR initiative ‘Nayi Disha’”
- The country”s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) on Friday said it has got global recognition for its HR initiative ”Nayi Disha” which over the course of 1.5 years has touched more than 2.40 lakh employees.
- The bank has won three Brandon Hall Excellence Awards, also known as the Academy Awards of Learning & Development, SBI claimed in a statement.
- It recognizes the best organizations that have successfully deployed programs, strategies, modalities, processes, systems, and tools to achieve measurable results.
- Through Nayi Disha, SBI appreciated the workforce for its commitment towards customer service excellence while serving with the same rigour in even the remotest corners of the country.
Source: Outlook India
“Amul becomes first Indian dairy company to be in Rabobank’s Global Top 20 list; Nestle leads”
- Amul, Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF), has become the first Indian dairy firm to make a place in the global top 20 list released by Rabobank, a Dutch multinational banking and financial services company.
- According to the list, Switzerland’s Nestle topped the list with a turnover of US $22.1 billion, followed by France’s Lactalis with US $ 21 billion turnover.
- Amul has achieved an annual turnover of $5.5 billion.
- On this achievement, RS Sodhi, Managing Director, Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation Limited (Amul), thanked the Gujarat government.
Source: Financial Express