Daily GK Update: 30th August 2020
“Jan Dhan Yojana completes six years; 40 crore accounts opened so far”
- Jan Dhan Yojana has completed six years.
- Union Minister Prakash Javadekar said the start of Jan Dhan accounts is nothing but a revolution.
- He said 40 crore accounts have been opened in six years.
- In a tweet, Mr Javadekar said earlier, Congress Prime Minister used to say that they send hundred rupees but people receive only 15 rupees.
- He stated that the Narendra Modi government now sends hundred rupees and people receive the full amount.
Source: News On Air
“Reliance Industries to acquire Future Group’s key businesses for ₹24,713 crore”
- Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Industries announced the acquisition of the retail, wholesale, logistics and warehousing businesses of Kishore Biyani’s Future Group for Rs 24,713 crore.
- The acquisition was done through the company’s subsidiary Reliance Retail Ventures.
- Reliance Retail will now have access to close to 1,800 outlets of Future Group’s Big Bazaar, Easyday, Central, and Foodhall stores, which are spread across 420 cities in India.
- The acquisition is being done as part of the scheme in which Future Group is merging certain companies carrying on the aforesaid businesses into Future Enterprises Limited.
“India withdraws from multilateral military exercise in Russia next month”
- India has decided to withdraw from a multilateral war game in Russia next month, government sources said on Saturday, a week after New Delhi had confirmed its participation in the exercise that is also expected to be attended by the Chinese and Pakistani troops.
- Last week India had conveyed to Russia that it will participate in the strategic command-post exercise to be held in the Astrakhan region in southern Russia from 15 to 26 September.
- Though no reason has been cited officially about India reversing its decision, people familiar with the development said that China’s participation in the exercise was a major factor behind the review.
- India had earlier planned to send around 150 Indian Army troops, 45 Indian Air Force personnel and a number of Navy officers to the multilateral military exercise.
- Russia has been a major partner of India in the defence sector and the cooperation has been steadily growing further.
Source: First Post
“Centre to develop three Bamboo Clusters in Jammu, Katra and Samba areas of J&K”
- Minister of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), Dr Jitendra Singh has said that three Bamboo Clusters will be developed in Jammu, Katra and Samba areas for making of Bamboo basketry, Agarbatti and Bamboo Charcol.
- Dr Singh said, apart from this a Mega Bamboo Industrial Park at Ghati near Jammu and Bamboo Technology Training Centre will also come up in the region.
- The Minister said this while addressing a review meeting of the Ministry of DoNER on further steps to be taken for augmenting infrastructure and promoting entrepreneurship in the Bamboo sector in the region after the signing of MoU.
- A team from his Ministry will soon visit Jammu and explore a field training programme for Bamboo farming in the region.
Source: DD News
“Tripura University scientist designs WARBOT to protect doctors”
- In the war against Covid-19 pandemic, doctors and medical staff remained at the forefront of the fight and many doctors have sacrificed their lives while treating and saving the life of positive patients.
- In fact, the doctors and medical staff are at the most risk point to contract the virus as they directly come in contact with patients.
- To extend a big help to the doctors, attending the infected patients, a scientist at Tripura University has designed a robot which can prevent the doctors, nurses and health staff from getting infected while they come in contact with patients infected with the virus.
- The robot is named as Covid-19 WARBOT.
Source: News On Air
“Social Justice Ministry launches mental health rehabilitation helpline ‘Kiran’”
- The Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, Thawar Chand Gehlot on August 27, 2020, launched ‘Kiran’, a toll- free helpline number for mental health rehabilitation.
- The launch of helpline number took place virtually amid the ongoing COVID-19 crisis.
- The helpline number (1800-599-0019) has been developed by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment along with its partners.
- The government launched a helpline number that will offer mental health rehabilitation.
Source: Jagaran Josh
“Global tourism lost USD 320 billion in 5 months from coronavirus: UN”
- The tourism global industry has been devastated by the coronavirus pandemic, with USD 320 billion lost in exports in the first five months of the year and more than 120 million jobs at risk, the UN chief said.
- Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said in a policy briefing and video address that tourism is the third-largest export sector of the global economy, behind fuels and chemicals, and in 2019 it accounted for 7 per cent of global trade.
- The UN chief said that in the first five months of 2020, because of the pandemic, international tourist arrivals decreased by more than half and earnings plummeted.
Source: Business Today
“Usha Padhee becomes first woman DG of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security”
- Usha Padhee, joint secretary in the Ministry of Civil Aviation, has been given additional charge as director general of the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS).
- She is the first woman and third IAS officer to have been appointed to the post.
- The aviation security body has usually been headed by an IPS officer.
- Earlier, IPS officer Rakesh Asthana was given charge of the BCAS.
- Created in 1987 as a cell in the DGCA, the BCAS has come of age as an organisation, working to implement international security standards.
Source: The New Indian Times
“Dr. Akinwumi Adesina re-elected as President of the African Development Bank Group”
- Akinwumi A. Adesina has been re-elected to serve a second five-year term as President of the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
- According to the official statement by the AfDB, the globally-renowned development economist and World Food Prize laureate and Sunhak Peace Prize laureate, received a 100% of votes of all regional and non-regional members of the bank.
- The election took place on the final day of the 2020 Annual Meetings of the AfDB Group, which was held virtually for the first time in the bank’s history.
- In December 2019, Adesina, known for his trademark bow-tie and his keenness for continental development, was the recipient of the African of the Year award and was on the cover of FORBES AFRICA.
Source: Forbes Africa
“IIT Hyderabad launches ‘world’s most affordable’ respirator mask”
- The Centre for Healthcare Entrepreneurship (CfHE) at IIT-Hyderabad has launched what its developers call is the “world’s most affordable respirator mask”, which is “highly durable and adheres to the highest safety standards”.
- Developed and commercialised by USafe Healthcare, the CfHE’s latest entrepreneurial entity, the mask — called US9 — will cost Rs 13 per day and has “98.03% PM0.3 filtration rate and 99.7% bacterial filtration rate (better than N95 standards)”
Source: The Indian Express