Daily GK Update: 2nd March 2020
Zero Discrimination Day
- On 1 March, people around the world join together to celebrate Zero Discrimination Day. The UN first celebrated Zero Discrimination Day on March 1, 2014, after UNAIDS, a UN program on human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), launched its Zero Discrimination Campaign on World AIDS Day in December 2013.
- Discrimination continues to undermine efforts to achieve a more just and equitable world and causes pain and suffering for many. Discrimination has many forms, from racial or religious discrimination to discrimination based on gender, sexual orientation or age, and to bullying at school or at work.
Pusa Krishi Vigyan Mela 2019
Pusa Krishi Vigyan Mela 2019 on the theme “Krishi Vikas: Innovative Technologies” was organised at the IARI Mela Ground from 5th to 7th March, 2019. Dr. Trilochan Mohapatra, Secretary (DARE) & DG (ICAR) inaugurated the Mela on 5th March 2019. In his inaugural address, Dr. Mohapatra applauded the institute’s efforts of organizing such knowledge gaining event for the agricultural and farming community.
Source: Indian Council of Agricultural Research
India beats Russia, Poland to bag $40 million defence deal in Europe
- In a major success, India has bagged a deal worth USD 40 million to supply four indigenously-built weapon locating radars to Armenia by beating Russian and Polish firms.
- “The deal is for supplying four Swathi weapon locating radars developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and manufactured by the Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) to Armenia in Europe,” government sources told ANI.
Source: Business Standard
ADB to provide $4 million to member countries to contain coronavirus outbreak
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) will provide a total of USD 4 million (about ₹29 crore) to help developing countries in Asia and Pacific to fight the outbreak of novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
- The Manila-headquartered multilateral funding agency had earlier in February announced USD 2 million for fighting the disease and approved another USD 2 million in late February.
- The Asian Development Bank has approved a further USD 2 million to help developing countries in Asia and the Pacific contain the outbreak of the novel coronavirus and improve resilience to this and other communicable diseases, it said in a release last week.
Raider-X explosive detection device built by DRDO HEMRL, IISc
- Raider-X, a new explosive detection device, was unveiled at the National Workshop on Explosive Detection (NWED-2020) in Pune, yesterday. Raider-X has the capability to detect explosives from a stand-off distance.
- The data library can be built in the system to expand its capability to detect a number of explosives in pure form as well as with the contaminants. Bulk explosives in concealed condition can also be detected by the device.
- Raider-X has been co-developed by High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL), Pune and Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore.
Source: Indus Dictum