Daily GK Update: 2nd June 2020
Kisan Credit Cards (KCC) campaign launched for 1.5 crore dairy farmers
- The Government will provide Kisan Credit Card (KCC) to 1.5 crore dairy farmers belonging to Milk Unions and Milk producing Companies within the next two months (1st June-31st July 2020) under a special drive. The Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairyingin association with Department of Financial Services has already circulated relevant circulars and KCC application format to all State Milk Federation and Milk Unions for implementing the same on a mission mode.
- Under the dairy cooperative movement, approximately 1.7 crore farmers are associated with 230 Milk Unions in the country.
- In the first phase of this campaign, the target is to cover all farmers who are members of dairy cooperative societies and associated with different Milk Unions and who do not have KCC. Farmers who already have KCC based on their land ownership, can get their KCC credit limit enhanced, though interest subvention shall be available only to the extent of Rs 3 lakhs. Although the general limit for KCC credit without collateral remains Rs. 1.6 lakh, but the case of farmers whose milk is directlyprocured by Milk Unions falls under tie up arrangements between the producers and processing units without any intermediaries, and hence the credit limits without Collateral can be upto Rs.3 lakh.This will ensure more credit availabilityfordairy farmers associated with Milk Unions as well as assuring repayment of loans to banks.
Source: Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying
BJP Tamil Nadu former president KN Lakshmanan passes away at 90
- Former two-time Tamil Nadu State BJP president K N Lakshmanan died at his home in Salem on Monday night of age-related ailments. He was 90 years old and is survived by his wife and two children.
- Born in Salem on October 20, 1930, he completed schooling at the Gokulnatha Hindu Mahajana school and did his BA at what was then the Salem Municipal College. In 1944, he joined the RSS and in 1957 started the Jana Sangh in Salem district along with nine others.
- In 1969, he and senior RSS leader Vasudevan started the Vidya Mandir school at Shevapet in Salem city. From 1970 to 1974, he started branches of the school in 24 towns across the State.
- When the Jana Sangh became the BJP, Lakshmanan was appointed the party’s State president and held the post from 1984-89. He also held the post from 1996 to 2000. In 2001, he was elected to the State Assembly from the Mylapore constituency in Chennai.
- From 2006 till his death, he served as a member of the BJP’s national general council. In the course of his political career, he led several agitations in Salem and other districts, even going to prison.
Source: Indian Express
Rs 812 Crore approved for Odisha under “Jal Jeevan Mission (Har Ghar Jal)
- Through ‘Jal Jeevan Mission’, Government of India is making all efforts to provide every rural household in the country a Functional Household Tap Connection for water in adequate quantity of prescribed quality on regular and long-term basis. Following the true spirit of cooperative federalism, State Governments are steering this flagship programme to realise the objectives of the Mission so as to bring cheers in the lives of rural people by providing potable water at their doorstep and ensure ‘ease of living’. It is envisaged that through this life changing Mission, each household will get potable water supply of 55 lpcd of prescribed quality on regular and long-term basis.
- The estimated outlay of the mission is Rs 3.60 Lakh Crore with Central and State share of Rs. 2.08 Lakh Crore and Rs.1.52 Lakh Crore respectively.
Source: Ministry of Jal Shakti
PM Modi greets people on 6th Telangana State Formation Day
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his greetings to the people of Telangana on its Statehood Day. In a tweet, Mr. Modi said, people from Telangana are excelling in a wide range of sectors and the state is making valuable contributions to the growth trajectory of India.
- The Prime Minister also extended his greetings to the people of Andhra Pradesh. He said, hardwork and courage are synonymous with the culture of the land. Mr. Modi commended state’s role in India’s growth.
- Governor Dr Tamilisai Soundarajan has greeted the people of Telangana on the sixth anniversary of the Formation Day of the State. In a message, the Governor said Telangana State has made rapid strides in all spheres of development, besides becoming the torchbearer for many innovative development and welfare programs for other States to emulate in these six years. She said the people of Telangana are fighting courageously to combat this critical situation of COVID-19 and exuded confidence that with the positive spirit the state will come out successfully proving Telangana will be a Wealthy and Healthy State.
Source: All India Radio
Pradip Kumar Tripathi takes charge as Steel Secretary
- Mr. Tripathi succeeds Binoy Kumar, who superannuated on May 31, 2020.
Senior IAS officer Pradip Kumar Tripathi on Monday took over the charge as Secretary in the Ministry of Steel, according to an official statement.
- Mr. Tripathi succeeds Binoy Kumar, who superannuated on May 31, 2020.
“Pradip Kumar Tripathi, IAS has taken over as Secretary, Ministry of Steel,” the Steel Ministry said in a statement.
- In April, the government had appointed Tripathi as Steel Secretary. He is an IAS officer of 1987 batch of Jammu and Kashmir (JK) cadre.
- Prior to this, Mr. Tripathi had been posted as Special Secretary and Establishment Officer in Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT), the statement said.
Source: The Hindu
International community rallies to support open research and science to fight COVID-19
- Thirty countries and multiple international partners and institutions have signed up to support the COVID-19 Technology Access Pool (C-TAP) an initiative aimed at making vaccines, tests, treatments and other health technologies to fight COVID-19 accessible to all.
- The Pool was first proposed in March by President Carlos Alvarado of Costa Rica, who joined WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus today at the official launch of the initiative.
- “The COVID-19 Technology Access Pool will ensure the latest and best science benefits all of humanity,” said President Alvarado of Costa Rica. “Vaccines, tests, diagnostics, treatments and other key tools in the coronavirus response must be made universally available as global public goods”.
Source: World Health Organization
DRDO develops Ultra Swachh for disinfection of PPEs and other materials
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed a disinfection unit named Ultra Swachh to disinfect a wide range of materials, including Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs), electronics items, fabrics, etc.
- Institute of Nuclear Medicine & Allied Sciences (INMAS), the Delhi based laboratory of DRDO has developed this product with industry partner M/s Gel Craft Healthcare Private Ltd, Ghaziabad.
- The system uses an advanced oxidative process comprising of multiple barrier disruption approach using Ozonated Space Technology for disinfection.
- The system is double layered with specialised Ozone sealant technology assuring trapping of ozone for the necessary disinfection cycle. It also has catalytic converter to ensure environment friendly exhaust i.e. only oxygen and water.
- The system is in compliance with International Standards of Industrial, Occupational, Personal and Environmental Safety. The Ultra Swachh comes in two variants namely Ozonated Space and Trinetra Technology. Trinetra technology is the combination of Ozonated space and radical dispenser. Treatment is optimised with automation for quick disinfection cycle.
Source: Ministry of Defence
PM Modi Launches CHAMPIONS: Technology Platform to empower MSMEs
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi today launched the technology platform CHAMPIONS which stands for Creation and Harmonious Application of Modern Processes for Increasing the Output and National Strength.
- As the name suggests,the portal is basically for making the smaller units big by solving their grievances, encouraging, supporting, helping and handholding.It is a real one-stop-shop solution of MSME Ministry.
- This ICT based system is set up to help the MSMEs in present difficult situation and also to handhold them to become national and international champions.
- It is a technology packed control room-cum-management information system. In addition to ICT tools including telephone, internet and video conference, the system is enabled by Artificial Intelligence, Data Analytics and Machine Learning. It is also fully integrated on real time basis with GOI’s main grievances portal CPGRAMS and MSME Ministry’s own other web based mechanisms.The entire ICT architecture is created in house with the help of NIC in no cost. Similarly, the physical infrastructure is created in one of ministry’s dumping rooms in a record time.
Source: Prime Minister’s Office
R K Chaturvedi Assumes Charge as Secretary, Department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals
- Shri R K Chaturvedi, a 1987-batch IAS officer of Madhya Pradesh cadre, has assumed charge today as Secretary in the Department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers,Govt.of India. Before being appointed as Secretary, he was serving as an Additional Secretary and Financial Advisor in the Ministry of Culture. He has worked as Chairman of CBSE and as DG in the National Skill Development Authority-NSDA.
- Shri Chaturvedi has replaced Shri P. Raghavendra Rao who superannuated on 31st May, 2020.
Source: Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers