Daily GK Update: 2nd August 2020
“Amit Shah tests positive for Corona, admitted to hospital”
- Home minister Amit Shah was admitted to Medanta hospital in Gurgaon on Sunday after testing positive for Covid-19.
- The home minister also requested those who had come in his contact to isolate themselves and get tested.
- Officials said that the minister was present in the last cabinet meeting. Social distancing was strictly followed along with wearing of masks
- Former Congress chief Rahul Gandhi, West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee and a host of BJP leaders wished the leader a quick recovery.
Source: Hindustan Times
“FA Cup final | Aubameyang double helps Arsenal beat Chelsea to take title”
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang inspired Arsenal to a record 14th FA Cup win as the Gunners captain struck twice to beat Chelsea 2-1 in the final at an empty Wembley on Saturday.
- Christian Pulisic had given Chelsea the dream start, but the Blues unravelled after Aubameyang was brought down by Cesar Azpilicueta inside the area and converted the resulting penalty.
- A brilliant finish from Aubameyang 23 minutes from time earned Mikel Arteta silverware in his first season as Arsenal boss before Chelsea were controversially reduced to 10 men when Mateo Kovacic was shown an extremely soft second yellow card.
- The Gabon international’s double took his tally for the season to 29 and ensured the Gunners will not miss out on European football next season for the first time since 1995/96 as they qualify for the Europa League.
Source: The Times of India
“U.K. to issue coin to honour Gandhiji”
- The Chancellor of the Exchequer, Sajid Javid on Thursday revealed plans to release a new UK coin to commemorate Mahatma Gandhi. The plan was released at the GG2 Power list event in London.
- The Pakistani-origin British finance minister said he had asked the UK’s Royal Mint to work on the coin so that the world never forgot what Gandhi taught it.
- Sajid Javid has excelled as the first British Asian Chancellor of the Exchequer and deservedly retained the top position in our annual GG2 Power List and following closely behind Priti Patel, who became the first British Asian female Home Secretary earlier this year.
Source: India Today
“SpaceX capsule departs ISS, set for ocean splashdown”
- NASA astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley returned home from the International Space Station aboard their SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule.
- The Crew Dragon made a splashdown landing in the Gulf of Mexico just after 2:45 pm ET.
- This was the final stretch of a historic mission — and in some respects it was the most dangerous leg of the journey.
“LAC standoff | India, China hold fifth round of Corps Commander-level talks”
- Amid the simmering border tensions between India and China, armies of India and China held fifth round of Corps Commander-level talks at Moldo on the Chinese side of Line of Actual Control (LAC) on Sunday (August 2).
- The talks finished at 9 PM on Sunday after around 10 hours. The details of the talks are not known so far.
- The meeting started at 11 AM and according to sources during the meeting Indian officers focused on complete disengagement by Chinese troops from Pangong Tso lake near LAC in Eastern Ladakh.
Source: Zee News
“TTD to clear coins worth ₹4.33 crore”
- TTD Additional Executive Officer A.V. Dharma Reddy on Saturday urged bankers to help the temple administration in clearing coins worth ₹4.33 crore piled up in its coffers.
- At a review meeting at Annamaiah Bhavan, Mr. Reddy said coins had accumulated as periodic clearing did not happen during the past four months due to COVID-19 crisis.
- TTD Deputy Executive Officer Venkataiah and managers of various nationalised banks were among those who took part in the meeting.
Source: Doordarshan News
“Former Speaker of Goa Assembly Anant Shet dead”
- Former speaker of Goa Assembly and BJP leader Anant Shet died on Sunday morning at a hospital near here, a party leader said.
- He was 59.
- Shet breathed his last at the state-run Goa Medical College and Hospital near Panaji where he was admitted after prolonged illness.
- He is survived by his wife and son.
- He was speaker of the Goa Legislative Assembly from January 12, 2016 to March 14, 2017.
- He represented the Mayem Assembly constituency in North Goa district from 2007 to 2017
Source: India Today
“IPL in UAE gets provisional govt. nod”
- After being informed about the Central Government having provisionally granted permission for the Indian Premier League’s (IPL’s) 2020 edition to be rescheduled in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) due to COVID-19 outbreak
- Besides deciding to stage the first-ever weekday final, also coinciding with the Diwali celebration, the governing council stamped the proposal of advancing the start of night matches from 8 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.
- While the squad size of all eight teams will be capped at 24 players per team, it was also decided to not allow spectators in any of the three venues – Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah – in the initial phase of the tournament.
Source: Taaza Khabar Online.com
“British Grand Prix: Final-lap puncture fails to stop Hamilton”
- Lewis Hamilton took an extraordinary victory in a dramatic finish to the British Grand Prix despite suffering a puncture on the last lap.
- The Mercedes driver’s left-front tyre failed halfway around the last lap but he held on in front of Red Bull’s Max Verstappen.
- Verstappen would have won had he not stopped late for fresh tyres in a successful quest for the point for fastest lap.
- The International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) will conduct online competitions from August 1 on the occasion of Sri Krishna Janmashtami, according to a press release.
- The events include fancy dress, drawing, painting, craft, story telling, photography, videography, rangoli and bhajan competitions.
- The last date for registration is August 9.
- Visit http://www.org/competitions for details.
Source: The Hindu