Daily GK Update: 29th September 2020
“World Heart Day 2020: History, significance and theme”.
- World Heart Day is annually observed on September 29 around the globe in an effort to raise public awareness about cardiovascular diseases, their prevention and global impact.
- Cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) claim the lives of around 17.9 million people each year, as per data collected by the World Health Organisation (WHO), and it results in 31% of all global deaths.
- World Health Day was first founded in 1999 with the World Heart Federation (WHF) collaborating with the World Health Organisation (WHO).
- The idea of an annual event was conceived by Antoni Bayés de Luna, the president of WHF from 1997-2011. Originally, World Heart Day was observed on the last Sunday of September, with the first celebration taking place on September 24, 2000.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Mali’s Former Foreign Minister Moctar Ouane Appointed New Prime Minister”.
- Mali’s transitional president has appointed former minister of foreign affairs, Moctar Ouane, as the West African nation’s prime minister days after being sworn into office.
- The appointment of a civilian prime minister was a major condition imposed by the West African regional economic bloc, ECOWAS, on Mali to lift sanctions that were imposed after an Aug. 18 coup.
- ECOWAS had closed borders to Mali and stopped financial flows to put pressure on the junta to quickly return to a civilian government.
- The appointment of Ouane, 64, was made by official decree Sunday and signed by N’Daw.
- Ouane was minister of foreign affairs from 2004 to 2011 under former president, Amadou Toumani Toure.
Source: Republic World
“PD Vaghela appointed new TRAI chief”.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet on Monday appointed 1986-Gujarat cadre IAS officer PD Vaghela to lead the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India.
- Vaghela was the secretary, pharmaceuticals, since August 2019. He played a crucial role in regulating prices of medicines and medical goods. Vaghela is also considered one of the foremost bureaucrats to have rolled out the goods and services tax (GST) in 2017.
- Vaghela’s term as chairperson of the telecom body will last for three years or until he turns 65.
- Vaghela will succeed RS Sharma, whose tenure as chief of TRAI lapses on September 30. Prior to TRAI, Sharma led the creation of Aadhaar as the director general and mission director of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) during 2009-2013.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Explained: Why Maharashtra is the latest state to ban sale of loose cigarettes, beedis”.
- The Maharashtra government has banned the sale of loose cigarettes and beedis, in a bid to reduce the consumption of tobacco and to comply with the Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products Act (COTPA) 2003.
- Before this, Chhattisgarh had banned the sale of loose cigarettes earlier this year, while Karnataka banned the sale of loose cigarettes, beedis and chewing tobacco in 2017.
- The government’s aim is to make sure that users are able to see the mandated warnings on cigarette packaging.
- The Act also mentions that the warning should be specified on not less than one of the largest panels of the packet in which the cigarettes or any other tobacco products have been packed for distribution, sale and supply.
Source: Indian Express
“KVIC appoints Fashion Design Council Chairman Sunil Sethi as advisor”.
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission on Friday said it has appointed Sunil Sethi,Chairman of the Fashion Design Council of India, as its Advisor.
- “Sethi will advise the Commission on latest design interventions in the readymade garments segment as well as promotion of Khadi in India and abroad,” The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) stated.
- Sethi’s appointment is for a period of one year. He succeeds fashion designer Ritu Beri whose term expired recently, it said.
- Sethi has earlier discharged advisory roles in various government bodies like the Handicrafts and Handlooms Export Corporation, National Crafts Museum and Hastkala Academy, Ministry of Textile, Ministry of Tourism, and Ministry of Culture.
- He has also served as a member of board of governors at the National Institute of Fashion Technology.
“Lebanon’s PM Designate Mustapha Adib Steps Down Over Cabinet Formation Dispute”.
- Lebanon’s prime minister-designate Mustapha Adib has announced his resignation on Saturday, September 26, after he failed to form a government following a dispute that arose over naming ministers in the new cabinet.
- As per Associated Press, Mustapha on Saturday after meeting with President Michael Aoun announced on live television that he was stepping down from the position.
- Mustapha, a former diplomat was chosen on August 31 to form the next government in Lebanon after former PM Hassan Diab stepped down following explosions that rocked Beirut on August 4.
- Mustapha was appointed after the French government and the international community put pressure on Lebanon’s ruling elite to bring reforms in the country’s politics and urged them to move away from sectarianism.
“Vakrangee gets RBI nod to set up Bharat Bill Payment unit”.
- Vakrangee Ltd on Friday said the Reserve Bank has granted in-principle approval to set up Bharat Bill Payment Operating Unit (BBPOU) to handle payment services related to bills.
- Vakrangee (VL) has received in-principle authorisation to set up and operate BBPOU under the Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007 from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), it said in a release.
- “Vakrangee can now directly handle payment and aggregation of payment services relating to bills under the scope of BBPS (Bharat Bill Payment System),” the company said.
Source: Hindustan Times
“Assam govt to provide loan to entrepreneurs to revive tourism sector”.
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowalon Friday announced a new scheme under which loan up to Rs20 lakh with interest subsidy would be provided to entrepreneurs to revive the tourism industry, the worst- affected sector by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Under the ‘Paryatan Sanjeevani Scheme,’ loan between Rs1 lakh and Rs20 lakh will be extended to interested local youths to take up new initiatives so that the tourism sector gets a fresh lease of life amid the coronavirus crisis, he said.
- As part of the scheme, the advances will be provided for five years, while the state government will give first year’s interest, he said, adding there will be a one-year moratorium on repayment.
- Speaking at the ‘Tourism Conclave,’ Sonowal also inaugurated another scheme — ‘Paryatan Sarathi’ — which will provide information about Assam tourism, facilities for bookings, tour packages, and hotels along with online payment gateway options.
- “The tourism sector has been playing a vital role in strengthening the economic foundation of various countries across the globe. Even in Assam, tourism as an industry has immense potential,” he added.
“RBI ropes in Amitabh Bachchan for customer awareness campaign”.
- After sport stars, The Reserve Bank has roped in Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan for the customer awareness campaign to prevent gullible account holders from being duped by fraudsters.
- As part of the public awareness initiative of RBI, the regulator keeps informing about dos and don’ts that have to be followed by customers to transact safely and securely.
- The regulator has been running the campaign for more than a year not only in English and Hindi but in various regional languages for maximum reach. It keeps on repeating the message so that people don’t forget their rights and responsibilities.
Source: Economic Times
“Gurpreet, Sanju declared winners of AIFF Player of the Year Awards”.
- Indian football team goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu and midfielder Sanju are the winners of the 2019-20 AIFF Men’s Footballer of the Year Award and the AIFF Women’s Footballer of the Year Award respectively.
- This is the first time Gurpreet has received this prestigious award, and in the process, he became the second goalkeeper after Subrata Paul in 2009 to be named the AIFF Player of the Year.
- The Blue Tigers custodian was elected as the winner on the basis of votes from Indian Super League and I-League club coaches.
Source: Indian Express