Daily GK Update: 29th May 2020
US joins G7 artificial intelligence group to counter China
- The US has joined an international panel for setting ethical guidelines for the use of artificial intelligence. The Trump administration had earlier dismissed the idea. White House’s chief technology officer, Michael Kratsios, told The Associated Press on Thursday it is important to establish shared democratic principles as a counter to China’s record of “twisting technology” in ways that threaten civil liberties.
- “Chinese technology companies are attempting to shape international standards on facial recognition and surveillance at the United Nations,” he said.
- The Trump administration had been the lone holdout among leaders of the Group of Seven – the world’s wealthiest democracies – in setting up the Global Partnership on AI.
- The partnership launched Thursday after a virtual meeting between national technology ministers. It was nearly two years after the leaders of Canada and France announced they were forming a group to guide the responsible adoption of AI based on shared principles of “human rights, inclusion, diversity, innovation and economic growth.”
Source: The Economic Times
India lifts ban on export of paracetamol API
- Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) declared in a statement that the Government of India has now lifted the restriction on active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) exports of paracetamol with immediate effect. Earlier, a restriction on the exports of API and medicines had been imposed by the government on March 03, 2020 due to COVID-19 outbreak.
- Accordingly, companies can now export the API. In the previous month, India had permitted exports of formulations of paracetamol, also known as acetaminophen, but maintained restrictions on exports of API of paracetamol.
- Granules, which is among the leading companies exporting Paracetamol API, is one of the key beneficiaries of this new development.
- In today’s trading session, BSE Healthcare index was trading on a positive note. The index which opened at 15,314.93 rose nearly 1.7 per cent to touch an intraday high of 15,561.9. The biggest leader in this index is Solara Active which rallied by almost 10 per cent.
Source: DSIJ Artical
CIPET renamed as Central Institute of Petrochemicals Engineering &Technology
- Central Institute of Plastics Engineering & Technology (CIPET) has been renamed as Central Institute of Petrochemicals Engineering & Technology (CIPET), a premier national institution under the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Govt. of India.
- The changed name has been registered under the Tamil Nadu Societies Registration Act 1975 ( Tamil Nadu Act 27 of 1975)
- Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers DV Sadananda Gowda has said that now CIPET will be in a position to fully devote itself for the growth of entire petrochemical sector with a focus on Academics, Skilling, Technology Support and Research.
- The primary objective of CIPET has been contributing towards the growth of the plastics industry through a combined program of education and research. The Institute has evolved through the years, creating closer ties with industries with the intent to create innovative plastic based solutions which are resource efficient and marketable.
Source: Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers
Finance Minister launches facility of Instant PAN through Aadhaar based e-KYC
- This facility is now available for those PAN applicants who possess a valid Aadhaar number and have a mobile number registered with Aadhaar. The allotment process is paperless and an electronic PAN (e-PAN) is issued to the applicants free of cost.
- It may be recalled that in the Union Budget, 2020, Finance Minister Smt. Sitharaman had announced to launch instant PAN facility shortly. In para 129 of the Budget Speech, the Finance Minister had stated, “In the last Budget, I had introduced the interchangeability of PAN and Aadhaar for which necessary rules were already notified.
- In order to further ease the process of allotment of PAN, soon we will launch a system under which PAN shall be instantly allotted online on the basis of Aadhaar without any requirement for filling up of detailed application form.”
Source: DD News
UP: Yogi Govt To Develop 800-KM Herbal Belt With Medicinal, Herbal Trees Along Both Sides Of The Road
- Yogi Govt To Develop 800-KM Herbal Belt With Medicinal, Herbal Trees Along Both Sides Of The Road
Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath (Subhankar Chakraborty/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)
The Yogi Adityanath government in Uttar Pradesh will develop 800 km roads as Herbal belt with medicinal and herbal trees along both sides of the road.
- Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Maurya, who also holds the PWD portfolio, said that these herbal roads will have trees like Peepal, Neem, Sahjan along with other herb varieties like Brahmi, Ashwagandha and Jatrofa.
- He said that these plants will provide raw material for the medicines and will also help in curbing the erosion of land.
- He stressed that this scheme will help both development and beautification of the area and bring medicinal benefits along with promoting bio diversity.
- These 800-kilometre roads will be along national and state highways passing through state and the herbal garden along with them will keep air free from pollution, bacteria and will also keep other diseases at bay.
- The PWD Department will also make arrangement for rain water recharging system on these herbal roads.
Major Suman Gawani to be honoured with UN Military Gender Advocate award
- Major Suman Gawani, an Indian Army officer and woman peacekeeper who has served with the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), has been selected for the prestigious United Nations Military Gender Advocate of the Year Award (2019).
- She has been awarded for her outstanding contribution to peacekeeping efforts in the UNMISS, news agency ANI reported.
- This is the first time that an Indian peacekeeper is being given the UN Military Gender Advocate award.
- Created in 2016, the award honours the dedication and effort of individual military peacekeepers in promoting the UN principles on Women, Peace and Security in peace operations as nominated by Heads and Force Commanders of peace operations.
Source: Business Standard
Delimitation Commission holds meeting
- The Delimitation Commission had a meeting on 28th May,2020,to review the progress of direction given by the Commission in its first meeting held on 29th April,2020.
- Earlier there was slight delay in organizing the first meeting due to ongoing lock down because of Covid 19 pandemic.Information on details of State Election Commissioner has been received from the State of Arunachal Pradesh,Assam,Manipur and Union Territory of Jammu&Kashmir.
- Nomination of Associate Members as required under Delimitation Act,2002,has been reccived from Lok Sabha.Also Nomination of Associate Members from the Legislative Assembly of Assam and Manipur has been received.
- Requisite Census data has been received from Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India.Commission directed to pursue the concerned State Govemnments for any pending information.It also asked to seek other necessary data/map from the respective CEOs within a time frame.
Source: Election Commission
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman chairs 22nd Meeting of the Financial Stability and Development Council
- The meeting was attended by Minister of State for Finance & Corporate Affairs Shri Anurag Thakur, Shaktikanta Das, Governor, Reserve Bank of India; Ajay Bhushan Pandey, Finance Secretary/Secretary, Department of Revenue; Tarun Bajaj, Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs; Debasish Panda, Secretary, Department of Financial Services; Ajay Prakash Sawhney, Secretary, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology; Injeti Srinivas, Secretary, Ministry of Corporate Affairs; Dr. Krishnamurthy V. Subramanian, Chief Economic Adviser; Ajay Tyagi, Chairperson, Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI); Subhash Chandra Khuntia, Chairperson, Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI); Supratim Bandyopadhyay, Chairperson, Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA); and Dr. M. S. Sahoo, Chairperson, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) and other senior officers of the Government of India and Financial Sector Regulators.
- The meeting reviewed the current global and domestic macro-economic situation, financial stability and vulnerabilities issues, major issues likely to be faced by banks and other financial institutions as also regulatory and policy responses, Liquidity / Solvency of NBFCs/HFCs/MFIs and other related issues. Besides, market volatility, domestic resource mobilisation and capital flows issues were also discussed by the Council.
Source: DD News
International Day of UN Peacekeepers : 29 May
- The International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers, 29 May, offers a chance to pay tribute to the uniformed and civilian personnel’s invaluable contribution to the work of the Organization and to honour more than 3,900 peacekeepers who have lost their lives serving under the UN flag since 1948, including 102 last year.
- This year, the challenges and threats faced by our peacekeepers are even greater than ever, as they, like people around the world, are not only having to cope with the COVID-19 pandemic, but also support and protect the people in the countries they are based in. They are continuing their operations to the best of their abilities and supporting the governments and the local populations, despite the risk of COVID-19.
- The theme for this year’s Day is “Women in Peacekeeping: A Key to Peace” to help mark the 20th anniversary of the adoption of UN Security Council Resolution 1325 on Women, Peace and Security.
Source: United Nations