Daily GK Update: 29th June 2020
Project Platina – world’s largest convalescent plasma therapy project launched in Maharashtra
- In a notable pioneering exercise, Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray has announced on Monday that his government will use Rs 16.65 crore to sponsor the execution of a convalescent plasma therapy-cum-trial project for treatment of critical COVID-19 patients. This project of therapy and trial is also being dubbed as the world’s largest project of its kind.
- “‘Project PLATINA’-World’s largest convalescent plasma therapy trial cum treatment of severe COVID 19 patients was today launched by @Maha_MEDD & inaugurated by CM Uddhav Balasaheb Thackeray,” the Chief Minister’s Office said in a tweet.
- The project was declared inaugurated during an online function. “Convalescent Plasma therapy is now coming up as one of the most important methods in the treatment of severe COVID 19 patients in the absence of definite treatment or drugs for the same. This is the World’s largest trial cum treatment project, which is to benefit 500 lives of critically ill COVID 19 patients in Maharashtra,” Uddhav Thackeray said.
Source: Times Now News
Agreement for first Indo-Bhutan joint venture hydroelectric project signed
- A concession agreement for the first Indo-Bhutan joint venture hydroelectric project was signed on Monday, paving the way for the commencement of its construction and other related works.
- The concession agreement for the 600 MW Kholongchhu project between the Bhutanese government and the Kholongchhu Hydro Energy Limited was signed in the virtual presence of External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and his Bhutanese counterpart Tandi Dorji, a Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) statement said.
- “The signing of the concession agreement will lead to commencement of construction and other works of this first joint venture hydroelectric project between India and Bhutan. The project is expected to be completed in the second half of 2025,” it said.
- The 600 MW run-of-the-river project is located on the lower course of the Kholongchhu river in eastern Bhutan’s Trashiyangtse district.
Source: The Economic Times
President Kovind Appoints UP Governor Anandiben Patel To Take Additional Charge Of MP
- On Sunday, June 28, Uttar Pradesh Governor Anandiben Patel was given the additional charge of Madhya Pradesh during the absence on leave of Governor Lal Ji Tandon. President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Patel to discharge the functions of MP Governor with effect from the day she assumes office.
- The power conferred by Articles 155 and 160 of the Constitution have has been exercised by the President. Tandon, 85, is recuperating at a private hospital in UP since June 11.
Source: Republic World
United Nations honours KK Shailaja for efforts to fight pandemic
- The United Nations gave recognition to the achievement of the state in fighting Covid-19 on its Public Service Day, celebrated on June 23. Health Minister KK Shailaja was the lone speaker from the country to speak about the strategies adopted by the state.
- At the webinar streamed on UN Web TV, she shared her views along with the Secretary- General of the United Nations António Guterres; President of the General Assembly Tijjani Muhammad-Bande; Minister of Interior and Safety, Republic of Korea Chin Young; Director General, World Health Organization Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus; President of Ethiopia Sahle-Work Zewde and senior officers of the UN. The event was organised to honour leaders who have done commendable work in the fight against Covid-19.
Source: The New Indian Express
Nitin Menon becomes only 3rd Indian to be included in ICC Elite Panel of Umpires
- Indian umpire Nitin Menon on Monday became only the third from the country after Srinivas Venkatraghavan and Sundaram Ravi to be part of the International Cricket Council (ICC) Elite Panel of Umpires. He also becomes the youngest umpire to join the elite panel.
- Nitin Menon will replace Nigel Llong in the 12-man ICC Elite Panel of Umpires for the 2020-21 season. 36-year-old Menon has so far officiated in 3 Tests, 24 ODIs and 16 T20Is and now has been elevated from the Emirates ICC International Panel of Umpires.
- The selection panel that picked Menon had former India cricketer Sanjay Manjrekar along with ICC General Manager – Cricket, Geoff Allardice (Chairman) and match referees Ranjan Madugalle and David Boon.
Source: Indian Today
Statistics Day being celebrated today
- Statistics Day is being celebrated today. It is observed to popularize the use of Statistics in everyday life and sensitize the public as to how Statistics helps in shaping and framing policies.
- The theme of this year’s Statistics Day is Sustainable Development Goals. The day is celebrated on the birth anniversary of Prof. P C Mahalanobis in recognition of his invaluable contribution in establishing the National Statistical System. A series of events have been planned across the country to mark the occasion.
- Minister of Statistics and Program Implementation Rao Inderjit Singh will chair the main function to be held in New Delhi today. The winner of Prof. C R Rao Award 2019 for notable contribution in the field of Statistics will be felicitated during the program. The winners of ‘On the Spot Essay Writing Competition’ for Post Graduate Students on the subject relevant to Statistics organized at All India level will also be felicitated.
Source: All India Radio
PhonePe partners with ICICI Bank on UPI multi-bank model
- Flipkart-owned PhonePe on Friday said it has partnered with ICICI Bank on UPI multi-bank model, giving its users the option to create and use multiple UPI IDs with ICICI and Yes Bank”s handles.
“PhonePe has partnered with ICICI Bank on UPI multi-bank model giving its users the option to create and use multiple UPI IDs with ICICI Bank”s ”@ibl” handle and YES Bank”s ”@ybl” handle on the PhonePe app,” a statement said.
- This addition, in partnership with ICICI Bank, enables quick and contactless payments to over 200 million registered PhonePe users, the statement added.
- In March, PhonePe had suffered a service outage for nearly 24 hours that had started after the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) placed Yes Bank on moratorium at that time. Its team had worked overnight with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and ICICI Bank to ensure all its services are up within a day.
Source: Outlook India
Micheal Martin elected new PM of Ireland
- Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin has been elected as new Prime Minister of Ireland in a vote held here on Saturday at a special meeting of the lower house of the Irish parliament.
- Announcing the voting results, Sean O Fearghail, speaker of the lower house of the Irish parliament, declared that Micheal Martin has won the election by receiving 93 votes in favour, 63 votes against and 3 votes in abstention, Xinhua reported.
- There are altogether 160 seats in the current lower house of the Irish parliament with one seat going to the speaker of the house who was not involved in the vote. Sean O Fearghail is a member of Fianna Fail.
- All the 84 parliamentarians of the three parties, namely Fianna Fail, Fine Gael and Green Party, which will form a coalition government led by Micheal Martin, have voted for his nomination as the new prime minister while nine independents also supported his nomination in the vote, reported Irish national radio and television broadcaster RTE.
Source: Outlook India