Daily GK Update: 29th February 2020
February 29: World Rare Disease Day
- Rare Disease Day takes place on the last day of February each year. The main objective of Rare Disease Day is to raise awareness amongst the general public and decision-makers about rare diseases and their impact on patients’ lives.
- The campaign targets primarily the general public and also seeks to raise awareness amongst policy makers, public authorities, industry representatives, researchers, health professionals and anyone who has a genuine interest in rare diseases.
- Rare Disease Day events are down to hundreds of patient organisations all over the world who work on a local and national level to raise awareness for the rare disease community in their countries.
Source: Rare Disease Day Orgnisation
Offshore patrol vessel ICGS Varad commissioned: L&T
- L&T-built Offshore Patrol Vessel ICGS Varad has been commissioned into the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) on Friday, according to a regulatory filing.
ICGS Varad was commissioned into the ICG by Minister of State for Shipping Mansukh Mandaviya at L&T Kattupalli shipyard, near Chennai.
- ICGS Varad set a record in Indian shipbuilding industry by becoming the first major defence ship to clear all sea acceptance trials in a single sea sortie, Larsen & Toubro (L&T) said in a regulatory filing.
Source: Business Standard
19th World Productivity Congress to Be Held in Bangalore
- World Productivity Congress, the world’s largest convention for productivity development, is back in India after a gap of 45 years. The 19th edition of World Productivity Congress (WPC) will be held on May 6 to May 8, 2020 at the Bangalore International Exhibition Centre, Bangalore.
- World’s largest convention on innovation and world class practices that shape future productivity growth is back in India after 45 years!
Source: India Education Dairy
Modi unveils 10,000 Farmers Producer Organisations to boost farm income
- Aiming to augment agricultural income by helping farmers trade in their produce, Prime Minister Narendra Modi today launched 10,000 Farmers Producer Organisations (FPO) all over the country.
- Addressing the launch ceremony at Chitrakoot district in Uttar Pradesh, Modi said the government would spend Rs 5,000 crore in the next five years to strengthen FPOs for the benefit of farmers.
Source: Business Standard
India keen to partner with Japan in Mission Purvodaya: Steel Minister Pradhan
- Union Minister for Steel and Petroleum & Natural Gas, Dharmendra Pradhan, met the Chief Minister of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik, along with the Ambassador of Japan to India, Satoshi Suzuki, in Bhubaneswar, yesterday. Avenues for collaboration, particularly in the steel sector were discussed. Pradhan, during his discussion with the Japanese Ambassador in Delhi, had invited him to Odisha, to explore immense opportunities which exist in the state in the steel sector.
- Pradhan said, “The Government of India is keen to have Japan as a partner country in Mission Purvodaya envisioned by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to ensure the development of Eastern India. Japanese investments and technology flow can create a win-win for all stakeholders, generate large scale employment and script a better future for people of Odisha.”
Source: Indus Dictum
Prime Minister to distribute daily living Aids & Devices to Divyangjan and Sr. Citizens
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi shall be distributing Assistive Aids and Devices to Senior Citizens (under the Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana-RVY) and Divyangjans (Under ADIP Scheme) at a mega distribution camp at Prayagraj, Uttar Pradesh on the 29th of February 2020.
- This is the biggest ever distribution camp being conducted in the country in terms of the number of beneficiaries covered, number of appliances distributed and value of aids and appliances distributed.
- In the mega camp, over 56,000 Assistive Aid and Devices of different types will be distributed free of cost to over 26,000 of beneficiaries. The cost of the Aids and Devices is over Rs 19 Crore.
Source: Narendra Modi