Daily GK Update: 29th December 2019
MOSPI constitutes High Level Standing Committee on Economic Statistics headed by Pronab Sen
- The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation has set up a 27-member single standing committee on economic statistics (SCES) to deliberate and develop methodologies for surveys on industry, services and employment, to improve quality of data.
- Earlier multiple panels used to be constituted to deliberate on these issues.
- The high-level panel will be headed by India’s first Chief Statistician Pronab Sen.
- The SCES will subsume in it the four standing committees on labour force statistics, industrial statistics, services sector and unincorporated sector enterprises.
- It will review the existing framework of data sources, indicators and definitions of index of industrial production, periodic labour force survey, time use survey, economic census and unorganised sector statistics, among others.
All India Radio organizes National Symposium of Poets-2020
- National Symposium of Poets – 2020 was today organized by All India Radio. This poet symposium was attended by select poets of all 22 languages recognized in the constitution. It is being held continuously every year since 1956.
- Poets from all corners of the country gave their presentations and captivated the hearts of the people.
- Such National symposium is organized every year and broadcast on the eve of Republic Day and at all the centers of AIR at 10:00 PM. In a special conversation with AIR News, senior litterateur Dr Chitra Mudgal said that such events unify the country.
Source: All India Radio
China launches its largest carrier rocket Long March-5 Y3
- The Long March-5 rocket, China’s largest carrier rocket, was successfully launched from Wenchang Space Launch Center in south China’s Hainan Province on Friday night.
- The rocket lifted off at 8:45 p.m. Beijing time, carrying the Shijian-20 technological experiment satellite weighing over eight tonnes, the heaviest and most advanced communications satellite in the country.
- About 2,220 seconds later, the satellite was sent into its planned orbit and the launch mission was declared a success.
Source: News CGTN
GoM to implement Rs 69,000-cr plan to revive BSNL, MTNL
- A seven-member Group of Ministers (GoM) has been constituted to fast-track and oversee implementation of the Rs 69,000 crore revival plan for BSNL and MTNL.
- The group will expedite implementation of recent decisions taken on revival of BSNL and MTNL that includes crucial elements like allocation of 4G spectrum and asset monetisation, sources said. The GoM includes Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, IT and Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, Home Minister Amit Shah, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal and Oil Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, they added. — PTI
Source: The Tribune